CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CGC’s latest buffoonery…20409

"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Beckett/CBCS should pounce all over this.

lol!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
@GAC I want an ostrich...

lol!! There's a few roaming around the cgc grading room. I'm sure you can walk one out like the graders walk out books.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC I can get a few AF 15's and maybe a tec 27 at five finger discount and ride out on an ostrich!!! It's a double win!
Post 28 IP   flag post
CGB= certified guaranty buffoon a fest.
Post 29 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 30 IP   flag post

Matt Nelson is squirming right now.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
... and another small, tiny percentage of "only cgc'ers" either quit the grading or move to CBCS.

At this rate of F-Ups down there, those tiny percentages will become significant
Post 32 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i haven't had any books graded in a long while tbh
Post 33 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke Ditto. 👍🙂
Post 34 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
There is a huge thread on this at CGC's online forum. Only started about 35 hours ago and it's already at 15 pages and 298 posts.

As others have noted, civil suit doesn't seem adequate. Has CGC filed a theft report with the police? Can they identify whose books have been stolen - so as to compensate the owners? And what about what we've all been told in the past - that cameras supposedly in all the appropriate places (receiving, grading room, vault) which was supposed to keep our books safe?

I'm not surprised there were (a tiny number) of employees that wanted to steal. I'm surprised though they were able to do so.

Skimming through the CGC thread, I'll add a few things. What are the odds that this has happened before but was handled entirely in house by CGC? And the initial complaint filed by CGC was dismissed by the judge. Today they have refiled.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/532126-cgc-files-lawsuit-against-employees/#comments
Post 35 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
In today's "Something is rotten in Denmark" news,

CGC added a 9.9 of X-Men 130 to the census.

Obviously, being a hot book, they are probably getting a lot of submissions right now. But I also have to wonder if there's more than a little bit of "look at this shiny thing over here and ignore the pile of feces" in it.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Also, by CGC's logic as far as employee trading in CGC slabs goes, Pete Rose would be in the Hall if he gambled on fewer than 20 of his own baseball games a year.
Post 37 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t see the relationship between a 9.9 1980 Xmen book and CGC’s current problems.

I do find it amusing that those relationships are even hinted at here and on the CGC boards. Says more about pockets of the collector universe than the company.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
My "guess" - he's not making a relationship of the current problems to the sudden appearance of an X-Men 130 9.9
I think what he is saying is that it is hinting at yet another problem unrelated to the existing problems in that is the "start" of the implications of that 9.9 screening that was hinted at by Nelson.
If the scaling has shifted at the highest of grades, I'm with him - not a good thing.

The company that controls most of this crap should not be shifting any part of the scaling 25 years into this pyramid scheme
Post 39 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
All that said, I did a quick check of the census count by month, and it appears there might be an error with the indication that the X-Men 130 CGC 9.9 was just added to the census recently.

From the chart below it looks like the single 9.9 was added July 2012. So that's not fishy as if it were added this month

Post 40 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I am watching, and commenting in that CGC thread. It's already started with individuals attacking each other for comments made, but with a certain individual banned until the summer, the thread hasn't been locked yet. When people start being shits to each other, that's when I lose interest. I don't really see that here, so that's why I started this thread. This particular situation justifies all I've been saying over there, which largely goes unnoticed. Now my point has been proven about the quality of that company overall.

Sure, I participate in both forums, mainly for selling over there (sometimes here), but I don't participate over there nearly as much as I used too. It can still be a toxic environment, and I walk away when it gets nasty.
Post 41 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
It's already started with individuals attacking each other for comments made, but with a certain individual banned until the summer, the thread hasn't been locked yet.

They gave Roy a ban until summer?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Galen130 I participate in both forums as well. Nothing wrong with that. Just "talking comics". I've not sold books here or there, but have purchased both places. One of the few things CBCS forum should copy is a few sub forums like selling or looking to buy.

I do much prefer this forum - for the same reason you state. Far less likely to get toxic here. People are just nicer and mods do a better job
Post 43 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Six month ban starting December 28th...
Post 44 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
Also, by CGC's logic as far as employee trading in CGC slabs goes, Pete Rose would be in the Hall if he gambled on fewer than 20 of his own baseball games a year.

Pete Rose should be inducted on his merits as a player.

He got caught gambling after he was no longer a player.

I am sure everyone already has a strong opinion about Rose.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan The people responsible should be locked in a dark hole for a very long time.
Post 46 IP   flag post
@James42
Back when Matt Nelson was running his own pressing/restoration business (Classics Incorporated I believe) he had an article on his website "proving" that there should be more 9.9's and 10's on the CGC census. Mathematics. IDK - maybe you would call it the mathematics of prediction. But he had charts and graphs and made a pretty compelling case that CGC must be intentionally (and so artificially) restricting the number of graded 9.9's and 10's.

I personally find it - astounding in an unreasonable way - that a book like X-Men 130 has 351 9.8's and just one 9.9. I mean really? X-Men during this time was one not of Marvel's very best selling titles - but it was extremely popular with collectors. And since comic books were still cheap in 1980 collectors often bought multiple copies. Dealers routinely ordered 2x the number they expected to sell with rest going into back stock.

Anyway..... When Matt's business was acquired by CGC and he moved to Sarasota, that article instantly went poof. His website as I recall was actually up and served some purpose for a few years as far as submitting. But the article was gone.

So IDK. Maybe I'll ask him someday. But assuming Matt still holds that opinion, he would appear to be in a place to influence such. The CGC grading guide that he authored lists 9.9 and 10's with pictures and description...

BTW - It is hard for me to imagine a 9.9 prescreen and what the rejection rate would look like. Jeez but 9.8's are hard. Both CGC and CBCS are far stricter at the 9.8 level than years past.
Post 47 IP   flag post
9.9s and 10s are for nothing but a dog and pony show. The cgc trots them out whenever they feel like someone or something warrants a grand production.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@DrWatson I have a couple 9.9's and a 10, but they were graded in 2018 before the shiite hit the fan at CGC. They are solid grades...the only near-perfect submissions I've ever sent in out of a few hundred.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
9.9s and 10s are for nothing but a dog and pony show. The CGC trots them out whenever they feel like someone or something warrants a grand production.

Never got a 10.0. Some of my 9.9s were NYCC convention variants. The Locke & Key 1 and 4 were probably the most valuable 9.9s that I have gotten.

My belief is that a 9.8 becomes a 9.9 when the grader is in a really good mood for whatever reason.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
9.9s and 10s are for nothing but a dog and pony show. The CGC trots them out whenever they feel like someone or something warrants a grand production.

Never got a 10.0. Some of my 9.9s were NYCC convention variants. The Locke & Key 1 and 4 were probably the most valuable 9.9s that I have gotten.

My belief is that a 9.8 becomes a 9.9 when the grader is in a really good mood for whatever reason.

9.9 and 10, also known as the just got laid grades.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Unless you’re married. 🤣🤣🤣
Post 52 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Somewhere, in this gullible world, there's that guy(s) out there who will claim there's a discernable difference between 9.8 & 9.9

🙄😂🙄😂🙄😂
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:

Even more so if you're married.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Even more so if you're married.

Dang…I must be doing something wrong. Time to submit to CGC and hope for fake 9.9’s and 10’s!!!

Post 55 IP   flag post
615421 84 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?