Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaQuestionsSignatures

Need help identifying comic professionals signature20325

Collector RedDawnRocker private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, back in the late 90s early 00s a comic store owner friend got me a Christmas gift at a Diamond retailer convention. He knew I was a fan of Malibu's Ultraverse and pretty much all the creators involved so he got a Breakthru promo poster signed by 6 of the involved parties. I used to know exactly who the signatures all belong to but unfortunately due to health related memory issues I haven't been able to identify over half of them. The ones I've identified are Steve Gerber, Steve Englehart and Mike Barr. The other 3 remain a mystery to me. Any help identifying them is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Can you provide better pics on the ones you need help with? The current ones are kind of dark.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
what TheShocker said.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Okay, I'll try getting better pics in the morning when the sun comes out. I've been struggling trying to find the best lighting in my apartment (I'm housebound due to medical reasons) with very little luck but I'll keep trying.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@RedDawnRocker - Welcome to the forum. The signature in your second photo appears to be by Rick Hoberg.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you so much esaravo!! I've got new pictures that hopefully help.

I've come to a possible conclusion on another of the signatures while looking through a list of everyone involved in the series itself. So far the signatures we appear to have include Mike Barr, Steve Gerber, Steve Englehart from the main Break-thru series and some of the side-story books. You're 100% right on Rick Hoberg, he was working on The Strangers at the time (Strangers #7) which is part of this storyline. One of the 2 missing names appears to be Gerard Jones but I'm not 100% on that. Jones scripted Break-thru #2 so he definitely fits the pattern (and the signature last name definitely appear to be a J on a short-length name like Jones).That 6 name is the toughest since it was signed with a thin-tipped gold pen-like marker instead of a thicker one like the others used.

#1 written by Gerard Jones, drawn by George Perez and inked by John Lowe with colors by Moose Baumann. Credited as contributing writers were Steve Englehart, Mike W. Barr, Steve Gerber, James D. Hudnall, Tom Mason, George Perez, James Robinson and Len Strazewski.
#2 scripted by Gerard Jones, plotted by Mike W. Barr, Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber, James Hudnall, Tom Mason, George Perez, James Robinson and Len Strazewski and illustrated by the late George Perez.

Complete storyline:

Break-Thru #2
Firearm #4
Freex #6
Hardcase #7
Mantra #6
The Night Man #3
Prime #7
Prototype #5
Sludge #3
Solitaire #2 -
The Solution #4
The Strangers #7
Break-Thru #2

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
The forth sig looks to be Gerard jones. Heres a pic of a sig he did.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yup, thank you for confirming TheShocker. Now the only mystery seems to be that first signature. At first I thought it could've been John Lowe but it doesn't seem quite in line with his style of signing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Any editors sigh the poster?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
Any editors sigh the poster?

I believe Chris Ulm was the only editor for Malibu before Marvel took over in the early 00s. It doesn't appear to be Dave Ohlbririch (the company head)or Tom Mason (I believe he was a VP at the time) either. The signature doesn't seem to come close to any of those three though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
615425 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?