Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS- Community Engagement20304

Collector sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story I always did that with CGC and the 1st few years with CBCS.
So glad you guys are doing this!
Post 126 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
I don't know if Discord is the greatest idea, maybe for the forum members only. When I used Discord in school, it was the best/fastest way to get ahold of classmates and teachers. Sure this sounds like a great idea, but that might mean having a dedicated department for responding to subjects/questions. If this happens there's a chance that costs may go up in order to justify the dedication to forum members. The idea is cool, because who wouldn't want info faster. I still use Discord, but now it's so full of information and groups, it's kind of a hassle reading through all the user posts/comments etc. Just like any other social media platform to voice comments, concerns, crap and conundrums.

@makahuka It definitely has the same pros & cons of any other form of social media. It certainly would not be a requirement, and I don't think we could limit it to forum members only. Ideally, it would be established to meet the demand of a different collector. Not everyone likes to participate in the forum/reddit style, so maybe some of those would enjoy a Discord.

It would likely just be another medium for collectors to discuss the hobby, maybe with some conversation from the social team.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Registry for sure.

What are the chances of CBCS character labels like CGC? Personally, I'm not a fan but I know many do like them and I'd like CBCS to compete with CGC.

Pricing: Assuming CBCS is not inundated with submissions, introduce a permanent pricing discount based on the # of books submitted per submission. Example, submit 5-9 books get 5% discount...10-19 books get 10% discount..and so on up to a maximum 15% or 20% discount.

Promote/advertise the big grail GA/SA books that are in CBCS slabs. I saw that Batman 1(?) 4.0 book for the new label....beautiful!! More should see that and know about that. Maybe you're doing that on social media (IG, X, TikTok) but I'm only on Youtube and here so maybe point is moot.

@GAC Echoing Steve here, I enjoy the character labels to a degree, but it is not very likely at this time.

If you have not explored our social media give it a look. You can see some of the Book of the Week videos we record (we feature cool stuff that we grade in this series), and hear my annoying valley girl voice (I hate hearing myself speak). Ricketts is in a few videos discussing the label as well! I recommend Instagram personally.
Post 128 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
(I hate hearing myself speak).

You and me both. I think I was six when I first heard myself on a recording. I told my mom " I sound like a creepy weirdo" and started crying. @esaravo is the only one here who has heard my voice. Maybe he can confirm this.

Post 129 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Hey look... actual product promotion. There's some good stuff in there, nice to see the word getting out!

Post 130 IP   flag post

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Really digging the new logo; looks sharp.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector BrashLimburg private msg quote post Address this user
Watching what's going on at that other company, another suggestion would be to go all in with transparency and education. It would be cool to have a regular feature on socials or something where you share a video of a sample grading and walk through the process and identifying defects, restoration, etc. Not sure if that is an issue with trade secrets or something but whatever you can do to turn grading from a mystery box to an open and easily agreed upon standard helps the hobby and sets CBCS apart.
Post 132 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Really digging the jew logo; looks sharp.

I think you meant new.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Wade_Story, welcome aboard.

I have not submitted to CBCS since July 2022 at Terrificon in Uncasville CT (I live in CT, so the show is a reasonably close drive), despite having a $13 credit toward the next order. The books took almost one year to get pressed, graded and returned to our house. I just thought a 12-month turnaround was too long.
Post 134 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieCPA4646

I have not submitted to CBCS since July 2022 at Terrificon in Uncasville CT (I live in CT, so the show is a reasonably close drive), despite having a $13 credit toward the next order. The books took almost one year to get pressed, graded and returned to our house. I just thought a 12-month turnaround was too long.

@willieCPA4646 The turnaround time for press and grade is now down to about six weeks at regular tiers. At least that's how quickly our previous two were done. The days of waiting 14 months are thankfully receding into unpleasant memory.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieCPA4646

@willieCPA4646 Completely understand your hesitation and I also agree. 12 months is far too long to get anyone an order back, barring some sort of payment issue. That time period was difficult, as CBCS did not have the staff to handle the influx of submissions and growth of the hobby that occurred during the pandemic period.

We underwent hiring and training to meet the demand. Once this was complete, we graded our tails off and got everything out the door as quickly as possible. Luckily, this means we will be prepared if another influx like that comes. Another positive, our standard turnaround time has remained at 30 business days since July (pressing & signature verification non inclusive). I hope you will give us another chance to prove ourselves!
Post 136 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Really digging the jew logo; looks sharp.

I think you miscounted the points on the star.

Post 137 IP   flag post
@Sigur_Ros oh my god!!! That was supposed to say new lol I'm terrible.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
@Wade_Story when I submit books and make an error & create a new submission, I'd like the ability to delete them on my Order History, instead of waiting for the 30 days for the system to automatically clear them.

It will also be good to have the ability to manage the 'My Collectibles' section, to delete those that I've sold/traded, and add CBCS books that I bought/traded from someone else, to add to my collectibles. It will be better for us CBCS collectors, if it will be an inventory of our CBCS collectibles, rather than just a list of our past submissions (which is already available on CBCS Order History.

@Wade_Story Any thoughts on this?
Post 139 IP   flag post
@JazzyJeffie A website overhaul is something that has been brought up multiple times. It's quite a large project, and would likely include updates for several points here (forums, tracker, and your example).

We are aware the website needs modifications and our dev team has been putting in work toward this goal. It is a substantial undertaking, and while I don't have a date, it's definitely in the works. Hopefully points made here will be addressed in the overhaul. If not, the new version will likely be more modification friendly for further updates.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Would CBCS consider a Legacy Label option for submissions?

Collectors can be particular and for mini series or small runs, uniformed labels could be a selling feature. Have the current label as the default but allow an option for legacy labels. You can even have the label options for limited times and cycle through the labels periodically.

I second this question. I have some books there right now I'd be interested in getting the old label to match the rest of a set I have. Thanks!
Post 141 IP   flag post
@SidTheSquid @GAC I do not think that this is something that has been discussed, and to my knowledge there are no plans for anything similar in the future. But everything is subject to change, if there was a big enough backing for it, I am sure it would be considered.

However, speaking honestly, I do not think most of the hobby share the same sentiment/appreciation for the older labels.
Post 142 IP   flag post
Oh this thread is at the top now?? very nice!
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector MisterMR private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story in light of the CGC reholder scandal, a topic I’d like to see (which may be right up your alley as a finalizer) is what quality checks CBCS does to help detect fraud like this, or just what is your quality assurance process in general. Even beyond the scandal, we’ve all seen posts of CGC books with debris or hair or whatever else in the slabs, so it would be interesting to know about CBCS’ quality steps.

Along those lines, I’d love to see something about any plans CBCS has to hopefully capitalize on the CGC situation. Once this broke, I moved to only buying CBCS slabs since they seem much more secure and tamper-evident and I don’t think this scam could be pulled off as easily with CBCS. Even a general public statement from CBCS acknowledging the situation and at the same time touting its superior slabs and quality processes would, I think, raise the company profile and maybe allow you all to gain market share. The biggest obstacle people have to submitting to CBCS is the thought that upon resale, they may get only 80% of what a CGC slab of the same book would get. But if the presence of CBCS were elevated, I think you’d see that market disparity reduced or eliminated.
Post 144 IP   flag post
@Wade_Story Suggestion: Graders Notes

When a book comes back Restored with "Small amount of colour touch". I'd like the graders notes to notate specifically where the colour touch is. This might inspire the submitter to crack out the book....remove the colour touch and resubmit in an attempt to get the Universal label.
Post 145 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
CGC RESTORED GRADE

Restoration includes: Small amount of color touch on cover.

Have no idea where the "color touch" is but I'm sure more could have been done to this
book if I would have wanted to restore it...maybe some Scotch Tape?
Post 146 IP   flag post
@martymann Agreed. I'd like to know exactly where on the cover. If it's small enough, I might want scrape it off/remove the small patch of paper and resubmit.

Amazing book!!!
Post 147 IP   flag post
@GAC I really think the "color touch" they refer too is the blue ink used by
the distributor to mark remainder copies...but I couldn't get them to admit this.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
the distributor to mark remainder copies...but I couldn't get them to admit this.

Marty - I don’t think so. there are a lot of comics with distributor blue ink out there which are blue label. I believe distributor ink in modest amount has no impact to grade but excessive will have an impact on grade only
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Marty - I don’t think so. there are a lot of comics with distributor blue ink out there which are blue label. I believe distributor ink in modest amount has no impact to grade but excessive will have an impact on grade only

CORRECT!
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@martymann Agreed. I'd like to know exactly where on the cover. If it's small enough, I might want scrape it off/remove the small patch of paper and resubmit.

Amazing book!!!

From CGC CUSTOMER SERVICE:

"It looks like it was near the spine but I don't have anything more specific than that."
"I did check with our RESTORATION REMOVAL TEAM and they do think it is something that could
be removed if you wanted to send it in for that service."
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Wade_Story. Does/will CBCS grade sketch cards? Technically, can Original Art (OA) offering be used?
Especially that they are licensed product from Topps/Upper Deck?
Post 152 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Amazing book!!!

From CGC CUSTOMER SERVICE:

"It looks like it was near the spine but I don't have anything more specific than that."
"I did check with our RESTORATION REMOVAL TEAM and they do think it is something that could
be removed if you wanted to send it in for that service."

Marty- Don't pay them! I can remove the CT or prove that they are wrong. It will cost money for re-grading and postage, but you don't have to pay me. They will charge quite a bit. I will get a discount of 15% for the grading fees. Always happy to help a true collector/hobbyist! Especially you, my friend!
Post 153 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie
Hi @Wade_Story. Does/will CBCS grade sketch cards? Technically, can Original Art (OA) offering be used?
Especially that they are licensed product from Topps/Upper Deck?

@JazzyJeffie As they are cards, this would need to go through Beckett Grading Services for grading and not CBCS.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Wade_Story: Thanks for replying. Sorry, but I haven't checked the Forum for about a week.

Payment was given at TerrifiCon (clickable text, so that wasn't the issue. The reason there was a $13 credit was because I asked (and paid for) the PDF imaging, but CBCS only imaged one of the three books.

I'll consider resubmitting. I have one Silver Age DC book from Heritage Auctions I won that HA raw graded NM. I'm curious to see how HA's grading lines up with CBCS.
Post 155 IP   flag post
615416 278 30