Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS- Community Engagement20304

CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Kid
Welcome @Wade_Story. This should be an easy question for you.

I would like to know what is the purpose of grader notes? This may seem like a stupid question that has an obvious answer (which is easily found on the internet... so why am I wasting people's valuable time? )

“The grader will ... take notes of any defects that could affect the books grade or will note any defect that may be hidden or hard to see." (CBCS website)

"Grader Notes describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did." (CGC website)

Having seemingly answered my own question, I will ask it another way to get to the crux of the matter: If the answers above are true, then shouldn't any graded comic that doesn't have ANY defects found and noted receive a grade of 10?

I have comics graded 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 with no grader notes (CBCS and CGC). It's probably harder to find 9.8 books with grader notes than without. In my view this calls into question the legitimacy of the grade. Can't find a problem to make a note of? Slap a 9.8 on it and call it a day.

@Caffeine_Kid At CBCS ANY book that is graded below 9.8 should have at least one grader's note. If it doesn't, I would like to investigate that further. Some 9.8's will occasionally have a note, individual to the comic but this is rare.

The way I look at it personally is this- a 9.8 book is supposed to be in a condition similar to brand new/off the shelf. This is why there are no notes, the book should be in "new" condition. 9.9's & 10's are BETTER than new, being closer to perfect in every way.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Glad to have you aboard!

I'm sure I'll have some grading or process related questions for you in the future but for now....what's your favourite planet? Mine's the sun....it's like the king of planets!

🍻
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Wade_Story Glad to have you aboard!

I'm sure I'll have some grading or process related questions for you in the future but for now....what's your favourite planet? Mine's the sun....it's like the king of planets!

🍻
@GAC might be an unpopular one but I like Earth. Don’t think I could survive anywhere else.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Ok though...on a more serious note

CBCS seems mostly to offer only signing opportunities - would love to see sketch opportunities too! (even sketch on whatever the largest size paper, rather than just blank cover, can be submitted for ART label! with witnessed sig etc. notation)

@KatKomics We did recently have a limited offering of head sketches from Adam Hughes for Orlando Original Arts Expo, but they sold out REALLY fast. Hopefully we will have more similar opportunities soon!

1st off welcome to the CBCS forum! WHen was the Adam Hughes head sketches offered for OAX? I'm attending and I don't recall getting an email from CBCS with that offer.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the Forum!!
This is the best place to learn something about comic books.

My question to you is simply.

I'm "Old school" and I love paper. With that can we still send in "Paper" submission forms either from conventions or from home. I'm not thrilled to do the on-line submission and really don't want to either.

Take care and Happy New Year!!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story welcome to the forum. I'm a fan boy, music, movies, tv, sports, food, collectables and...comics. I'm sure there's other s$%*!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
I got a question for the cbcs finale boss guy What is the biggest thing that will lower the grade of a comic that most comic collectors overlook when sending in a comic to be graded slabed.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I got a question for the cbcs finale boss guy What is the biggest thing that will lower the grade of a comic that most comic collectors overlook when sending in a comic to be graded slabed.

@Travis Good question! (I'm not the boss)

I have interacted directly with several customers at local shows, where we sometimes do free 9.8 grade screens. The biggest thing I hear is people not looking at the back of their book. 90% of the time the grade turns out not to be what the person thought for this reason. On newer Marvel books specifically there are a lot of surface wear issues. But this goes for any defect on the back.

When buying, if able, I heavily recommend taking books out of the bag to confirm condition (JUST BE CAREFUL).
Post 33 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I have interacted directly with several customers at local shows, where we sometimes do free 9.8 grade screens. The biggest thing I hear is people not looking at the back of their book. 90% of the time the grade turns out not to be what the person thought for this reason. On newer Marvel books specifically there are a lot of surface wear issues. But this goes for any defect on the back.

When buying, if able, I heavily recommend taking books out of the bag to confirm condition (JUST BE CAREFUL).

That’s a good one. I’d guess Back Cover, Trimming, and Page Count as top overlooked.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

CBCS charges for prescreens?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Welcome to the Forum!!

I'm "Old school" and I love paper. With that can we still send in "Paper" submission forms either from conventions or from home. I'm not thrilled to do the on-line submission and really don't want to either.

@Rafel Though it may not be what you want to hear, the fastest way to get your books through grading is utilizing the online submission process. When using paper, there are often handwriting issues or billing issues that our team has to reach out to clarify. Dependent on how long it takes to make contact, this can hold up your order.

At shows we do still currently utilize paper forms, but have started doing billing on site instead of taking down card info.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Quote:

CBCS charges for prescreens?

@SpiderTim If you send in a submission with a certain grade screen, say 15 books @ 9.6 for example... If 10 books are graded 9.6 or better they are charged the standard grading fee that would be associated with the books. The 5 that do not meet the 9.6 requested screen would typically be charged a reject fee.

At some shows where we are able to have a grader present, we offer free 9.8 grade screens. This simply means we receive books from on-site customers and if they are not 9.8, we hand them back without a reject fee (with some explanation dependent on urgency). I heavily recommend using this service at shows if available, it can be a good way to learn more about what makes the grade.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Wade_Story do you know if this service will be available at OA X at the end of January? Thanks for the clarification I know there is a reject fee but your statement could be misconstrued to make people think CBCS charges for a prescreen service
Post 38 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim 9.8 grade screens will be available on site as described above. If anyone gets confused I believe the website pricing lays it out as well. I will post the handout below for the on-site service that has all the rules and breakdowns, just in case anyone wants it!

Post 39 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Threads like this make me miss godfather Borock popping in...
Post 40 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story long time listener, first time caller. In your expert professional opinion is sauerkraut a condiment or a side item?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for joining, Wade!

A tiny bit of feedback for CBCS; I do think providing a scan of books helps add some feeling of security. I realize why CBCS charges an additional fee for this and I've used the service only once- but I was disappointed to see that it was not a high resolution image. I think that for $5 the image scans should be of higher quality. Thanks for listening!
Post 42 IP   flag post
@SidTheSquid Heard, and thank you for the feedback! Look forward to interacting more in the future.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
@Wade_Story long time listener, first time caller. In your expert professional opinion is sauerkraut a condiment or a side item?

@HAmistoso Depends on the circumstance. Sauerkraut on top of bratwurst I would consider a "topping", but not a condiment. If the sauerkraut is served along side of the main course instead of on top, I would call it a side.

Side note, I made braised red cabbage for Christmas Eve dinner this year. Quite good.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Wade_Story, thanks for popping in and being receptive to questions. I think it will really help with "trust issues" and questions. My question is regarding status updates and changes.

My perception is that it goes something like this, but any clarification would be greatly appreciated. The bolded status values indicate points at which CBCS sends a status change e-mail.

Received

ImagingSP (if VSP)
Received (when VSP complete)

Pressing (if pressing)
Received (when pressing complete)

Grading
Labels
Heat Seal
Production
Shipping
Complete

It's the back and forth with Received that confuses many among us.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story interesting information about the 9.8 screen/grade score. Are there circumstances that a book is better than a 9.8? If so, is the higher grade given, or does the book just get graded as a 9.8? I know it's like looking for a unicorn, 9.9 or a 10.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Hi @Wade_Story, thanks for popping in and being receptive to questions. I think it will really help with "trust issues" and questions. My question is regarding status updates and changes.

My perception is that it goes something like this, but any clarification would be greatly appreciated. The bolded status values indicate points at which CBCS sends a status change e-mail.

Received

ImagingSP (if VSP)
Received (when VSP complete)

Pressing (if pressing)
Received (when pressing complete)

Grading
Labels
Heat Seal
Production
Shipping
Complete

It's the back and forth with Received that confuses many among us.

@figment I will try my best to answer this but I do not guarantee accuracy in my response. The only point in these processes I actually participate in is the grading point.

It is my guess that the "Received" message that comes after Imaging/VSP & after Pressing could be an acknowledgement that billing has to be addressed after each of those processes. Receiving is the department that handles the billing, and because each category of VSP & Pressing have separate charges dependent on what happens there, that could be the reason. I would guess it is an auto generated addition anytime billing adjusts? Sorry for my ignorance here.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
@Wade_Story interesting information about the 9.8 screen/grade score. Are there circumstances that a book is better than a 9.8? If so, is the higher grade given, or does the book just get graded as a 9.8? I know it's like looking for a unicorn, 9.9 or a 10.

@makahuka There definitely could be that circumstance. The determination for 9.9 or 10 would most likely not be made in any on-site setting. Once the book gets back to the office we would have that determination (lighting is not always the best at shows). But, just because we screen for a 9.8 at a show and say yes, does not rule out that it could come back higher.

For the same lightning reason, sometimes (our goal is to make this as rare as possible), it is possible to actually not meet the 9.8 grade as well. In this case the reject fee is not charged to the customer. I believe this is mentioned in the handout I posted.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Welcome to the Forum!!

@Rafel Though it may not be what you want to hear, the fastest way to get your books through grading is utilizing the online submission process. When using paper, there are often handwriting issues or billing issues that our team has to reach out to clarify. Dependent on how long it takes to make contact, this can hold up your order.

At shows we do still currently utilize paper forms, but have started doing billing on site instead of taking down card info.

Wade_Story, Thank you very much for this. Since CBCS still uses paper forms at conventions, is it possible to send me pack or two of submission forms? I'm not really interested in super fast turnaround times as I'm interested in getting my comic books graded.
Post 49 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicNinja0215
Threads like this make me miss godfather Borock popping in...

Our hippie pal is busy raking his yard. Since he left CBCS, he planted a money tree in the back yard. And it blooms everyday. I may have to give him another box of large yard bags, the kind that stretch... lol..
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 om sure he's doing just fine. We miss him a lot though. To the godfather 🍺🍺🍺
Post 51 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all!
I have been incredibly busy as I am also taking care of my 85-year-old mother now while juggling work and home life with my 5 grandkids. Work at ComicLink is great but crazy busy with consignments, I have brought in 2 million worth of consignments in under a year. Crazy!

I miss you all so very much!!!!

Wade, thanks so much for doing this!!!! I have been telling people at CBCS that this kind of interaction with the community is very important, since we founded the company and made sure it was legit and HOBBY FRIENDLY.

I love CBCS and the people on the forum. It does need an overhaul though.

You need a registry, to compete with CGC. It will up the prices of CBCS books when collectors compete.

I will be starting to post again on the forums to help collectors and, if possible, CBCS. After all, it was my baby and a dream for a legit 2nd certification company collectors could trust. I hate monopolies! It went downhill, so I left, even though I stayed longer than I wanted to. Glad to see some changes in the right direction! It's awesome!

As always, sorry for the rant!
I don't check messages here. If anyone wants to email me, it's sborock@comiclink.com. Always happy to hear from you all!
Happy collecting everyone and thanks again Wade!
Steve (Yes, that old hippie!)
Post 52 IP   flag post
I got screwed six ways to Sunday. sborock_ComicLink private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock_ComicLink
Hey all!
I have been incredibly busy as I am also taking care of my 85-year-old mother now while juggling work and home life with my 5 grandkids. Work at ComicLink is great but crazy busy with consignments, I have brought in 2 million worth of consignments in under a year. Crazy!

I miss you all so very much!!!!

Wade, thanks so much for doing this!!!! I have been telling people at CBCS that this kind of interaction with the community is very important, since we founded the company and made sure it was legit and HOBBY FRIENLY.

I love CBCS and the people on the forum. It does need an overhaul though.

You need a registry, to compete with CGC. It will up the prices of CBCS books when collectors compete.

I will be starting to post again on the forums to help collectors and, if possible, CBCS. After all, it was my baby and a dream for a legit 2nd certification company collectors could trust. I hate monopolies! It went downhill, so I left, even though I stayed longer than I wanted to. Glad to see some changes in the right direction! It's awesome!

As always, sorry for the rant!
I don't check messages here. If anyone wants to email me, it's sborock@comiclink.com. Always happy to hear from you all!
Happy collecting everyone and thanks again Wade!
Steve (Yes, that old hippie!)

EDIT:
Wade- You should do something for Jesse Olsen. He has been on board since day one and is the best moderator. He is not wealty and spends a lot of time helping CBCS on here and he doesn't get squat. IMHO
Post 53 IP   flag post
To jesse!!! Cheers!!!!🍺🍺🍺
Post 54 IP   flag post
I've had such great relationships with everyone here at cbcs and I forsook them all to play in the cgc sandbox. I owe everyone here an apology. 😭
Post 55 IP   flag post
619266 279 30