Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS- Community Engagement20304

Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@DrWatson Yeah, I think I have beat that door too many times.
Not even something I need. My pal Borock educated me on how to grade years ago.
I thought having some insight as to how the graders at CBCS evaluate defects might help some of the lesser educated members regarding grading comics.
But I agree with you, I don't want to be thorn in the side. So I will leave Mr. Wade alone.

I sure hope this was not a "political" ploy of; "Tell them what they want to hear but do little towards furthering the issue."
Post 226 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to see some kitchen content from @Wade_Story.
Post 227 IP   flag post
I picture a tie that looks like a deer wiener. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story helped me quite a bit last week.

Unfortunately he couldn’t help any further and he hoped customer service could. I knew that was the end of my plight right there, Customer Service.
Post 228 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@DrWatson Yeah, I think I have beat that door too many times.
Not even something I need. My pal Borock educated me on how to grade years ago.
I thought having some insight as to how the graders at CBCS evaluate defects might help some of the lesser educated members regarding grading comics.
But I agree with you, I don't want to be thorn in the side. So I will leave Mr. Wade alone.


I agree that this insight would be valuable to have permanently on the forum. Unfortunately, the reality is I just don’t have the time to complete the project at the moment. It truly is a homework assignment, in that it is something that will have to be done on my personal time. So for now I would say later rather than sooner.

We have got some new stuff going on at home, and as much as I love comic books… I can only bring so much of my work home with me before the wife gets upset 😂.
Post 229 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
@HAmistoso





Some stuff I’ve cooked over the last couple of years. In order: smoked turkey, smoked pork tacos, deep dish pizza, Irish soda bread, & shepherd’s pie. I’ve done a lot more, as I’m the primary cook in the house, but these are all the photos I’ve got!
Post 230 IP   flag post


I picture a tie that looks like a deer wiener. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
@Wade_Story helped me quite a bit last week.

Unfortunately he couldn’t help any further and he hoped customer service could. I knew that was the end of my plight right there, Customer Service.
To set the record straight, this matter was FINALIZED!!!!!!!
Post 231 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad I see what you did there 😂
Post 232 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
I sent in a book to add a signature. The book currently has a previously witnessed signature from CGC (still in slab). As I was looking through my invoices, I am being charged for a Verified signature along with the authentic signature being added. Does CBCS no longer honor CGC's witnessed signatures? Last I read, they were honoring the signatures, and they remained "SIGNED", rather than "Verified".

I'm also having CBCS clean and press it (since I am not allowed to work on the signed book) for me too, as there are pressable defects and should benefit from the service!!!

Anyone in particular I need to contact? HELP PLEASE!!!
Post 233 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
As an adult who grew up reading prose works originally serialized (and Analog, when I could find a copy), I am very excited about the recent embrace of pulps by CGC.

As a collector, I am horrified by the recent embrace of pulps by CGC.

Beckett has chosen to expand into manga grading; I think this is wise, given the massive popularity of manga both worldwide and among the younger generations in the United States. But I would be beyond thrilled if they announced pulp grading and encapsulation. I have a copy of the Fall 1954 issue of Fantastic Story that would probably be in the mail the day after CBCS announced pulp grading.

In addition, since Beckett already has the manga slabs, it seems it would be relatively easy to encapsulate my digest-sized Analog issues.

Edited to add some of the things I would love to be able to display in a CBCS holder:





Post 234 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't realize CBCS grades gaming modules still in their shrink wrap.




I only have one that's still in its shrink wrap still.
The wrap is broken a little on the back.





Post 235 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Soooooo, when they grade something in shrink wrap do they take it out and re-shrink wrap it? So they know it's not just the cover wrapped around an old phone book. And if not, are they just grading the front, back and sides?
Post 236 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Soooooo, when they grade something in shrink wrap do they take it out and re-shrink wrap it? So they know it's not just the cover wrapped around an old phone book. And if not, are they just grading the front, back and sides?

Correct me if I am mistaken here but does not CBCS defer from grading shrink-wrapped--or similar--comics?
Post 237 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I am mistaken here but does not CBCS defer from grading shrink-wrapped--or similar--comics?


The top picture shows a book in shrink wrap, so I would say they do.
Post 238 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Somebody has some 'splainin to do.

Think we'll get an explanation?
Post 239 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Somebody has some 'splainin to do.

Think we'll get an explanation?

Please indicate which slabbed srink-wrapped comic you are referring to.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Endless Stair
Post 241 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Correct me if I am mistaken here but does not CBCS defer from grading shrink-wrapped--or similar--comics?



The top picture shows a book in shrink wrap, so I would say they do.
Please indicate which slabbed shrink-wrapped comic you are referring to.
Post 242 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Somebody has some 'splainin to do.

Think we'll get an explanation?

Please indicate which slabbed srink-wrapped comic you are referring to.

Gaard ~ sorry wrong placement of question.
Post 243 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Endless Stair

Well, that is not a comic. My initial question was comics not being accepted as shrink-wrapped for encapsulation.
Post 244 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is what's in question.


Post 245 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
This is what's in question.



And my poser is: If D&D game books are able to be graded in their shrink-wrap, why not comics?
Post 246 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 I like the idea of paper backs, I have a few myself...









Post 247 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
This is what's in question.



And my poser is: If D&D game books are able to be graded in their shrink-wrap, why not comics?


Not sure.....not aware of any comics that come shrink wrapped but certainly polybagged so it's a valid question. Unsure how or what CBCS graded on the D&D book....good observation and question.
Post 248 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Example of "shrink-wrapped" comic book.


There very many more.
Post 249 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster CGC will grade them and put them in a pulp slab. It looks incredibly dumb. But they should fit the manga slab nicely.
Post 250 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
Comic books that are submitted in the poly-bag are removed and graded. The poly-bag and any contents within are returned to the customer separately from the graded book. I spoke with West this morning and received this summarized explanation: Usually the poly bags are larger than the book within, any many times, are also not clear enough to see the book inside. This makes grading the book inside the bag impossible, and also causes issues slabbing the book within the larger bag. The Batman #10 posted here is interesting because in all the photos I am finding online, the factory seal is more like like the one below (a clear poly-bag- larger than the comic, as opposed to shrink wrap). Unsure if the photo @RRO provided is 3rd party shrink wrap or not.

To my knowledge this is the accepted practice within the comic book industry. There are many other reasons not to leave them in the bag (bends and such), but I won't go too deep into that now.

As for the gaming modules, though I am not one of the graders who handles these- I was told most of the shrink wrap is form fitting, and allows you to see the book inside. They are not only grading the book, but also assigning the letter grade to the condition of the shrink wrap (as you can see on the label). Beckett grades VHS tapes similarly, and both take measures to ensure the shrink wrap is not 3rd party or post manufacturing.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Wade_Story Can gaming modules be dropped off at the CBCS booth at a comic convention and are the grading prices the same as magazine grading?
Post 252 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross Yes to both! Maybe just refer to the photo in this thread if the rep at the booth isn't familiar with those submissions. Pricing is the same as magazines for pressing as well.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Story
Comic books that are submitted in the poly-bag are removed and graded. The poly-bag and any contents within are returned to the customer separately from the graded book. I spoke with West this morning and received this summarized explanation: Usually the poly bags are larger than the book within, any many times, are also not clear enough to see the book inside. This makes grading the book inside the bag impossible, and also causes issues slabbing the book within the larger bag. The Batman #10 posted here is interesting because in all the photos I am finding online, the factory seal is more like like the one below (a clear poly-bag- larger than the comic, as opposed to shrink wrap). Unsure if the photo @RRO provided is 3rd party shrink wrap or not.

To my knowledge this is the accepted practice within the comic book industry. There are many other reasons not to leave them in the bag (bends and such), but I won't go too deep into that now.

As for the gaming modules, though I am not one of the graders who handles these- I was told most of the shrink wrap is form fitting, and allows you to see the book inside. They are not only grading the book, but also assigning the letter grade to the condition of the shrink wrap (as you can see on the label). Beckett grades VHS tapes similarly, and both take measures to ensure the shrink wrap is not 3rd party or post manufacturing.

"Unsure if the photo @RRO provided is a 3rd party shrink wrap or not" EXACTLY! Same applies to the D&D item. And how the blazes can you inspect the interiors of unopened shrink wrapped items of any kind?
Post 254 IP   flag post
CBCS Finalizer Wade_Story private msg quote post Address this user
@RRO "Unsure if the photo @RRO provided is a 3rd party shrink wrap or not"- Moreso meaning I can't exactly tell you one way or the other through an online photo...
Post 255 IP   flag post
611006 272 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.