Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMemorabiliaPop Culture

The Utes20232

I keep buying dumb stuff because I'm a bit of an underground influence marketer. Oldfuzznts private msg quote post Address this user
I recently watched some content on the macroeconomics of the collectables market. Though I felt most of it was misinformation, fair points about the future of comics as investment-grade vehicles were made.

Do you experts think the bias toward 9.8s prices the 10-16 year old demographic out of graded comics?

If granny slipped me a 50 with my birthday card, what makes a graded comic attractive to me over literally anything else?

My granny is old. She still sends cash. So much better.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user

Why would a 10-16 year old want slabbed comics? And I buy graded books all the time in the $10-40 range.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I keep buying dumb stuff because I'm a bit of an underground influence marketer. Oldfuzznts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

Why would a 10-16 year old want slabbed comics? And I buy graded books all the time in the $10-40 range.

I never read them, personally. If there'd been graded comics when I started collecting, I would've opted for those if the pricing made sense.

These types of people exist. The artwork and investment potential were way more important to me than the writing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I think comic specific stores i.e. not in corner stores as a larger barrier to any youth wanting comics in general and the current cover prices

If you need to be driven to another town just to browse and then it will cost you a half hours pay from the job you likely don't have is a major problem.

When I was young the newspaper store in town also sold comics and my job stocking shelves etc. that payed $2.95 per hour meant I could but almost 3 comics for ever hour I worked!!! They may not have had a massive selection at the stand but it certainly meant I could "enter the market" at least.

In Canada our minimum wage is like $14 now - there are no comics within a 30km radius (19 miles) and most comics cost close to $5 a pop

I don't believe many youth are considering the investment potential of comics.

Would be interesting to see the demographics of current publication consumers - I have the feeling that it trends old and any investment potential is declining
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfuzznts
If granny slipped me a 50 with my birthday card, what makes a graded comic attractive to me over literally anything else?

I'd answer that nothing makes a graded comic attractive to [you] over literally anything else unless you like comics. If you are just looking for investment potential there are many investments that will probably produce a better return than graded comics especially those currently costing $10 to $40.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I think comic specific stores i.e. not in corner stores as a larger barrier to any youth wanting comics in general and the current cover prices

If you need to be driven to another town just to browse and then it will cost you a half hours pay from the job you likely don't have is a major problem.

When I was young the newspaper store in town also sold comics and my job stocking shelves etc. that payed $2.95 per hour meant I could but almost 3 comics for ever hour I worked!!! They may not have had a massive selection at the stand but it certainly meant I could "enter the market" at least.

In Canada our minimum wage is like $14 now - there are no comics within a 30km radius (19 miles) and most comics cost close to $5 a pop

Would be interesting to see the demographics of current publication consumers - I have the feeling that it trends old and any investment potential is declining

Well, check it out, player. I'm going to cut you in on a marketing idea the likes of which would've already made me a millionaire--had the government not chosen to steal them and therefore become an international embarrassment instead.

What if your infantile self could be gifted a subscription that included slabbed exclusives that came with a coverless reader copy?

It's never too early to plan for your future!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Well, check it out, player. I'm going to cut you in on a marketing idea the likes of which would've already made me a millionaire--had the government not chosen to steal them and therefore become an international embarrassment instead.

What if your infantile self could be gifted a subscription that included slabbed exclusives that came with a coverless reader copy?

It's never too early to plan for your future!
Quote:
Quote:

It's never too early to plan for your future! This idea shouldn't be considered investment advice. All investments carry an element of risk.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

I'd answer that nothing makes a graded comic attractive to [you] over literally anything else unless you like comics. If you are just looking for investment potential there are many investments that will probably produce a better return than graded comics especially those currently costing $10 to $40.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do you experts think the bias toward 9.8s prices the 10-16 year old demographic out of graded comics?

I don't think the 9.8 bias has any impact on their involvement.
Speaking of Utes, I'm very interested to see what happens in 2024 with Swifties and Dazzler. We may just get a case study to learn from. My prediction:
1) Grade won't be all that important to the Swiftie masses.
2) Slabs won't be all that important to the Swiftie masses.
3) X-men 130 might not be all that important to Swifties, they will probably be more inclined to pick up Dazzler #1 as well as other Dazzler back issues.
Post 9 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Speaking of Utes, I'm very interested to see what happens in 2024 with Swifties and Dazzler. We may just get a case study to learn from. My prediction:
3) X-men 130 might not be all that important to Swifties, they will probably be more inclined to pick up Dazzler #1 as well as other Dazzler back issues.

She’ll likely just reissue an album and include a reprint with it. All her fans will focus on buying that instead of an old comic. Anything to send her more $$$.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Quote:

She’ll likely just reissue an album and include a reprint with it. All her fans will focus on buying that instead of an old comic. Anything to send her more $$$.

What's a "Swiftie?"
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
If the kid gets $50, tell them to do this;
Take your $50 and go to a comic con. At the end offer $50 for an unsold box of drek, as old of books as you can get, no Independents. Look grateful. Sell on EBay in your new store. Take the $100 you now have, do it some more, start the machine.
Use the machine earnings to buy books of the sort you know will sell, grow the pile, grow the machine. Use other money over time to add to the machine. Put anything good or cool aside as it gets bigger.
Start a comic book and collectibles store. Buy the building. In 40 years start to sell the really good stuff.
Investment.
Or buy a graded variant cover. So cool!
Post 12 IP   flag post
They used to have these things called Savings Bonds (sp) 65 million years ago that modeled investing behaviors. I'm the dumbest guy in the room again.

Here on forum for a comic grading website while media are being pushed to digital for reasons that have nothing to do with lack of interest.

Guess I'll go play my new Pearl Jam record my kid bought me. Sigh....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Y'all heard this? Listen along!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTzr-k6s
Post 14 IP   flag post
I wish you knew how funny this is.
Post 15 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's a "Swiftie?"

It's like a quickie except afterwards you get a revenge song written about you followed by bad karma.

At this point, there should be a support group out there somewhere.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

Hadn't thought about that. I think you are probably absolutely right.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's like a quickie except afterwards you get a revenge song written about you followed by bad karma.

At this point, there should be a support group out there somewhere.

And you get black-balled by the Swiftie Army, making it unsafe for you to go anywhere near a Junior High School.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I read ute and as an Australian this was my first thought.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Context is king, I suppose.
Post 20 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Post 21 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
My 4 kids range from mid 30's down to late teens. They all grew up with comics and cards from a really young age. Just for the love of it, we would read comics, play the ccg/tcg's. It wasn't until later(like the last few years), that 2 of my kids even cared what some of their stuff was worth, and then again they still don't worry about it. My youngest ripped a pack of One Piece(popular anime tcg) cards open, found a popular card, took it to the trading card store, and got half of what it was worth. He bought video game add-ons with the money, and hasn't cared since. I always offer my kids a trip to the comic and card shops, but they have no interest. I have 1 kid that still likes sports cards, but doesn't worry about what they're worth or what the players first card is, he just likes to collect his favorite players, an only if the cards look cool/different, because of the interesting shapes the cards are cut into now.
Post 22 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would have spelt it: Yoots...like boots.

Utes sounds like a deep space alien villain....unless you're from Utah.

clickable text
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

What's the worst thing about being bit by a poisonous spider?
You're probably Australian!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I would have spelt it: Yoots...like boots.

Utes sounds like a deep space alien villain....unless you're from Utah.

clickable text

Post 25 IP   flag post
I don't know, man. I get a kick out of decommoditization.

The other day I carried a book in for a trade and watched the store owner attempt to valuate it. Let me tell you, that experience alone was worth the price of grading.

He didn't know me from Adam. He had no idea what he was holding.

He arrived at a figure of nothing. I laughed all the way to my car.

Most people aren't pervy like that, and I get it. But I love making market gatekeepers panic... visibly...on their YouTube channels.

"Well, there's no sales data for this! How will we ever arrive at a fair market value!?"

You won't, buddy. If you had to pay what it's actually worth, you couldn't afford it in ten lifetimes.
Post 26 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
So it was a tease @Oldfuzznts?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
So it was a tease @Oldfuzznts?

Experiment. How do you explain to someone that any FMV calculation for something so innocuous would need to include a variable for the cost incurred to prevent it from causing a debilitating market disruption?

Nah, you just roll with it and observe.
Post 28 IP   flag post
HAHAHA!!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Would there happen to be a reptile of any kind on the cover @Oldfuzznts?
Post 30 IP   flag post
615425 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?