Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Restoration removal question20227

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know anything about restoration removal and who does it (CGC)??? I'm thinking about getting the restoration removed on this book but the questions I have are who would do it and would the removal cause enough damage to the book to have it decrease in value?

CGC 4.0 Apparent - 0035469003
CGC Cert #
Title
All-American Comics
Issue
Issue Date
10/44
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
10/03/2001
Grade Category
Apparent SA
Label Text
Restoration includes: glue on spine of cover, tear seals to cover, color touch.
Art Comments
Bester, Greene and Blummer stories
Aschmeier, Blummer and Gallagher art
Paul Reinman cover and art
Key Comments
Origin and 1st appearance
of Solomon Grundy.
Grader Notes
Back Cover Crease
Back Cover Soiling
Right Bottom Front Cover Lite Crease
Spine Wear
Staple Tear

Post 1 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster

Old CGC label works in your favour if book was to be re-graded.

glue on spine removal: will this create a detached cover?

Color touch: can we determine how extensive and where it is? Slight: but they bore/carve out the color touch affected areas. Would be good to visualize what the cover will look like afterward.

Goldenage Book: Resto is generally accepted on GA books by collectors so maybe not as imperative to take resto removal risk.

Great book that would be great in a blue label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Universal 2.0 sits at $13,500 while this book is around $5G or so in this condition.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster what a fantastic book, congrats for owning that beauty. you could just send it to cgc as a prescreen. The glue most likely is for the tear seals and not sure how much color touch. It's worth sending it in to see if it can be done, they will reject it if the removal desecrates the cover too much. Good luck, would like to see the results if you precede
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Batman66 Thanks. I bought it years ago (sight unseen) raw for $75.00
Post 5 IP   flag post
This is the second book I've been thinking about sending back. I bought it raw for $500 back in the 90's. I want to get it pressed to see if I can get a better grade.

CGC Cert #
Title
X-Men
Issue
Issue Date
9/63
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grade Date
10/03/2001
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby cover and art
Key Comments
Origin and 1st appearance of the X-Men
(Professor X, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel,
Beast and Marvel Girl) and Magneto.
Grader Notes
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Tear with Crease
Right Bottom Whole Book Crease
Right Bottom Whole Book Crunch Through Book
Right Center Back Cover Small Shadow
Right Center Front Cover Small Shadow
Whole Book Bend
Whole Book Lite Fingerprints
Whole Book Small Lite Wear All Edges
Whole Book Stain

Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The resto on that All American 61 is amateur restoration. If it was color touched with a marker, then you are going to be left with a hole in the cover where the color touch used to be. Also, if the glue is holding the cover on the book, then you're going to have a detached cover.

The same in house cgc people who lifted the glow in the dark paint off that one comic book with their pressing is the same people who would be doing your restoration "removal."

Maybe a press and a clean, but I wouldn't bother with the other stuff. Not to put your book down, as it is a very nice book and I would love to own it, but I wouldn't spend the money attempting to turn chicken shit into chicken salad.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
This is the second book I've been thinking about sending back. I bought it raw for $500 back in the 90's. I want to get it pressed to see if I can get a better grade.

CGC Cert #
Title
X-Men
Issue
Issue Date
9/63
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grade Date
10/03/2001
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby cover and art
Key Comments
Grader Notes
Whole Book Bend
Whole Book Stain

old cgc label + notes looks like could be a good candidate for grade bump.
Post 8 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Great books!

What is your intention with resto removal or an attempt to press? That Xmen 1 looks properly graded and I don’t know if I’d risk pressing for the possibility of a 0.5 bump.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave With a clean and press, even if it's a ½ grade bump, it would be a 2G increase!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
All American 61 is awesome.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Davethebrave With a clean and press, even if it's a ½ grade bump, it would be a 2G increase!

Even so, wouldn't a clean and press, regrading, and shipping both ways, cost at least $1200? Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. If you're thinking about having CBCS grade it for only $200 instead of 4% of the FMV I might consider it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Grinding holes in the cover is worse than the childish coloring in for me. detaching the book isn’t such a big deal since it is in a slab.
For me I have a lot of books that had been messed with back when they were worth 50 cents, or by some greedy seller trying to sneak one by. I find the market penalizes those books too much for my tastes.
Post 13 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

50% chance of a 0.5 grade increase after pressing.

40% chance of no change.

10% of damage and/or grade decline.

100% chance of money out of pocket up-front and having the book out of your hands.

I asked intent because if it was my copy and holding it, no way I’d roll the dice on that book. If looking to sell near-term, maybe. Just maybe… but I’d likely get a third party I trust to assess first.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely some companies out there to take your dime for restoration.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
My honest opinion; leave it.

As much as I hate resto I’m good with it on gold and silver age (or older) as far as conservation goes.

I believe in difference between “resto” as conservation and “resto” as “how much of this book is actually original?”.

I think of classic/iconic car resto. How much is sourced from authentic doners/original parts and how much is sourced from aftermarket/replica? The closet to original wins. I’d rather have a Cuda restored using original parts unless I plan on going Fast & Furious on it with obscenely unnecessary mods for no reason. 😂
Post 16 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

CGC Cert #
Title
X-Men
Issue
Issue Date
9/63
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE
Grade Date
10/03/2001
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby cover and art
Key Comments
Grader Notes
Whole Book Bend
Whole Book Stain

in the graders notes states whole book stain, they might have been more lenient on stains back then but I know they hit hard for stains. Think the possibility of getting a lower grade could be very real.
Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 is right. Never crack a book with a decent grade if it has a stain.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I didn't catch the whole book stain. There are definitly pressable defects that would help the grade but that whole book stain would hammer the book today. I'd leave it alone based on the whole book stain.
Post 19 IP   flag post
618084 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?