Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Chimney vs comicbooks20193

Collector TheShocker private msg quote post Address this user
Cold weather is coming and this is the firt year we have a wood burning chimney (moved in this year). Will using my chimney damage any if my comics stored in the same room? Comic short boxes are 20ft away but in the same room. Also have some single issues displayed on walls. About 10ft away from the chimney. Im.thinking maybe smoke could cause damage or maybe im over thinking it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no expert, but I'm thinking if they are bagged, they should be fine. My thoughts are, there is enough of a seal to where soot and smells won't penetrate the tape and plastic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I would think no? I mean... ideally you have the flu open and any smoke goes well...up the chimney!

Also...like..what type of chimney? normal one built into the side of the house made out of brick - i.e. mostly for decoration and not a daily fire required for heating??
Or is it like a wood burning stove type - you know..frontier style with opening doors? those are a pain in the ass for the soot/ash tray but only like a couple of feet.

Again though the air goes in the vents at the bottom, the doors stay closed and any smoke goes outside

I think you are good - about the only real issue might be moisture content of the air - and again dependant on how frequently it is in use
Post 3 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Creosote buildup is the main concern when it comes to chimney fires. I'd advise getting someone to clean your chimney or you can buy a kit that attaches to a drill. You could try one of the numerous chimney creosote cleaning logs, but I think they are mostly for recreational fireplaces.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
only

It's a brick chimney built into the side of the home. It's mostly for decoration like you said, not necessarily needed for heating (home has electric heating in every room). In the same room I do have a dehumidifier running and keeping the humidity level at 35. And yeah the flu has an opening where the smoke should go up. Thanks for your input.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Creosote buildup is the main concern when it comes to chimney fires. I'd advise getting someone to clean your chimney or you can buy a kit that attaches to a drill. You could try one of the numerous chimney creosote cleaning logs, but I think they are mostly for recreational fireplaces.

Thanks for the info and yeah I bought a csl log at lowes today. Over the weekend im going to buy a chimney brush with extensions and clean it. I'm thinking cleaning it from top and bottom then burn the csl log followed by another cleaning of top and finally at the bottom.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If air flow is correct and flu is clear then smoke will travel up. Only thing I can think of is maybe a smokey smell that might penetrate the bags and get on comics kind of like if a heavy smoker smokes in their home and the walls start turning yellowish and get that tobacco smell.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think if the fire/chimney operates as intended with normal frequency plus you have appropriate air flow/ventilation, you'll be fine. Generally speaking, if you feel fine in the room and you don't sense a strong smell of smoke, your books will be fine too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Comic books are best read in a room with an active fireplace.
Post 10 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Comic books are best read in a room with an active fireplace.

I second this!!! When I was a kid, I actually read MANY comics and books sitting or lying in front of a fireplace.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll defenetly will be reading by the fire thanks everyone for all.your input on this. I feel at ease now.
Post 12 IP   flag post
618083 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?