Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Why Nostomania now supports CBCS 0.3 and 0.12014

Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all - long story short, I think the addition of 0.3 and 0.1 was a great idea, kudos to the Steves for this. I wanted Nosto users to be able to add these items to My Lists, and flag them as CBCS certified, as well as compute pricing from sales of comics with these grades.

Details in the article I wrote. I'm happy to answer any questions, either here or on the dusty Nosto forums, where you can hear a pin drop but your voice is heard loud and clear

A quick summary for the impatient:
- In recent years the variance in pricing below FR 1.0 has grown significantly, due mainly to a strong market for key books even in very poor condition.
- Assigning numeric values to levels of incompleteness solves the problem for Nostomania; to compute pricing I need a number, not just "PG".
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting. Your article is a must-read. I hadn't seen any of that information before.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
One of the biggest reasons I started using CBCS was the lower end grades on books I could not afford in decent shape. Its not "grading" if you say something is a PG or NG..

Btw loving the price points on the site as well now, it was a pleasant surprise to see you guys add it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
TommyJasmin great post and great job to you and CBCS on at last sorting out these lower grades.

Good read on the link you posted as well
Post 4 IP   flag post
I really don't consider myself well informed on the topic of .3 and .1, as I've never heard an argument against it. Does CGC have a public opinion on this?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Thanks for posting. Your article is a must-read. I hadn't seen any of that information before.

Thanks for the comments jrs, appreciate the feedback...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
TommyJasmin great post and great job to you and CBCS on at last sorting out these lower grads.

Good read on the link you posted as well

Cheers, I'll take that virtual beer
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
When will Nostomania have support for variant issues?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
When will Nostomania have support for variant issues?

Hi DarthLego - we do support them, it's just much sparser than
we'd like. The good news is if any Premium Subscribers request the addition of a particular issue, we get right on it. It's not as trivial an effort as you'd think. We need evidence of an actual sale to seed the pricing algorithms, since values are all over the board. For example, we just captured a sale for the Venom 3 Campbell Variant (2017). An uncertified NM 9.4 just sold on eBay for $316.89. Who woulda thought?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@TommyJasmin Can members also request price updates if something is way off?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@DarthLego I wont speak directly for Tommy but will say he pretty much gives good consideration to all of my random and sometimes wild requests 🍺
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@TommyJasmin Can members also request price updates if something is way off?

DarthLego - Yes, certainly! Any information that improves the data is a win for everyone. If something is off-base, that either implies we aren't gathering enough sales data (this I know is a problem, and am addressing it) or there is a bug in our pricing code. Most of the bugs have been worked out but there's always another lurking.

One of the nice things about the Nostomania pricing algorithms is that they are self-correcting over time. Just add more and better sales data in the funnel at the top, and tighter pricing data comes out the bottom going forward.

So yes, please hop on the help lines and let us know, thanks DarthLego.
Post 12 IP   flag post
601262 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?