Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

VSP and signature differences over time; any experiences?20073

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
First things first: I am aware that not all signatures can be authenticated. I would prefer that Beckett and CBCS err on the side of caution to protect trust in the service. But I do still wonder about having older signatures verified.

This is a witnessed Chrissie Zullo signature from last year's NYCC. I bought it from the submitter, who is a personal friend. Obviously, since it is a witnessed signature, its authenticity is solid.

This is a signature I got from Chrissie Zullo back in 2011. Obviously, she has changed her signature purposefully over the years. I suspect both for speed and individuality. But how difficult would it be to get this authenticated? Do you think there are good, known authentic samples of her signature from this early in her career?

I'm sure there are plenty of other creators with similar signature "drift," either caused by choice or age. Do y'all have any examples of signatures this different from the same person still passing authentication?

I am not currently planning on submitting this book for VSP, by the way. I am pretty sure I have most of these signed by both her and Chris Roberson. Just a lot of things ahead in line.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 - Many artists and writers (and others) have changed their signatures over time. For example, compare Frank Miller’s current FMR to his signature when he started doing Daredevil.

As long as they have reliable samples, they should be able to authenticate a signature.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I keep buying dumb stuff because I'm a bit of an underground influence marketer. Oldfuzznts private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if it's a factor, but I try to include proof of my attendance at the signing event with my submission.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Oldfuzznts no factor. CBCS/Beckett examine signatures purely based on their own methods. Remember, a failed verification is not a declaration of forgery...it simply means it couldn't be verified.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I keep buying dumb stuff because I'm a bit of an underground influence marketer. Oldfuzznts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Oldfuzznts no factor. CBCS/Beckett examine signatures purely based on their own methods. Remember, a failed verification is not a declaration of forgery...it simply means it couldn't be verified.

Makes sense. I'll probably still keep doing it when I can though even if it just makes me feel better about it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Oldfuzznts - You should hold on to COA’s too. They aren’t used by CBCS either. Keep them so you can slip them into the bag behind the slabbed book when you get it back.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Oldfuzznts - You should hold on to COA’s too. They aren’t used by CBCS either. Keep them so you can slip them into the bag behind the slabbed book when you get it back.
👍
Post 7 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I do this, so if I run into someone that believes in COA's more than in "verification". Besides, why not?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I was fortunate enough to have my Moon Knight 1 verified, it was back in 1985, and Bill S used to sign his autograph with a unique BS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
I was fortunate enough to have my Moon Knight 1 verified, it was back in 1985, and Bill S used to sign his autograph with a unique BS.

BS is nothing unique. I've known many BSers in my day.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
🤣🤣🤣
Post 11 IP   flag post
616095 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?