Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsComics Golden AgePop CultureSigning Opportunities

OAFcon Redux (a short review, of sorts)19983

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Follow-up on the Norman, Okla. OAFcon event. From my perspective, this turned out to be a superb little convention; hopefully others who were there will comment on their experiences. The last one of these I attended was pre-pandemic (2019). The new sponsor, Uncanny Con's Peter Purin, has taken on a lot following Bart Bush's legacy and with the participation of Buddy Saunders tribute to the founders of OAF back in Feb. of '67 it came off quite well. Over the course of two days I got acquainted or reaquainted with dozens of friends including our own "EbayMafia", Bob "Wayne Manor" Wayne, Bud "Art-Books" Plant, Steve "jack-of-all-trades-man" Borock, Buddy "MyComicShop" Saunders, his wife and son Conan and Richard "Bedrock" Evans just to name a few with apostrophes.

The dealer's room was pretty busy from my perspective ...at least at those times I was engaged in the hunt... and I did come away with one high grade GA book and a copy of the slip-cased Schomburg retrospective which my long-time friend Bud Plant had for sale at his table. There were uncompromising cell phone photographs taken of your's truly in the dealer's room as well as the Embassy Suites bar (at least I think they were uncompromising since I haven't received any blackmail queries yet).

In spite of all the OAFcon enjoyment and camaraderie one of the most memorable personal moments of the weekend came when I was checking out of the hotel. A statuesque young woman who appeared to be a University student stopped me and enthusiastically asked if I was in the band. I don't know which band she was referring to, but that was of less concern than the fact it was Sunday and I was already in the process of checking out! So, ...with some remorse in my voice... I politely said "no" rather than offer her my autograph (signing opportunity) or try to steer the conversation in other directions, but it was the crowning touch to a great weekend!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
A statuesque young woman who appeared to be a University student stopped me and enthusiastically asked if I was in the band. I don't know which band she was referring to, but that was of less concern than the fact it was Sunday and I was already in the process of checking out! So, ...with some remorse in my voice... I politely said "no" rather than offer her my autograph

You are not part of the band, Chicago?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Are you in a band?🤣🤣🤣
Post 3 IP   flag post
@jake Nope, the dude playing guitar in Chicago has short hair from the photos I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
Are you in a band?🤣🤣🤣

LOL! Naw, I just shockingly look the part in the right lighting.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Are you in a band?🤣🤣🤣

When you meet @CatmanAmerica you figure he must at least have his own theme song. Something from RUSH maybe. Tom Sawyer?
Post 5 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Are you in a band?🤣🤣🤣

When you meet @CatmanAmerica you figure he must at least have his own theme song. Something from RUSH maybe. Tom Sawyer?

I was thinking more like Foghat or Grand Funk Railroad.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake

Who's that imposter trying to sing a Chicago song?
Post 7 IP   flag post
My observation from a working a booth at OAF: demand for (silver age and newer) super-hero keys has fallen off a cliff and dealers haven't totally accepted that yet. Admittedly, the demographic there was probably older than normal and has been collecting longer. But other than several requests for Action 252, there was very little interest in first appearances of either major or minor characters. Most dealers were still asking "above auction" prices for books that nobody was anxious to buy. I didn't see a lot of traditional "wall books" moving from their spot on the wall. My guess is that most dealers weren't very happy with their sales volume, but pricing has not found its new equilibrium yet. At Terry's booth we had an open offer to recalibrate based on current internet sales pricing, which I think served him well as far as sales volume.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake

Who's that imposter trying to sing a Chicago song?

Can't be me, I haven't been in Chicago since Wizzard (LOL)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
My observation from a working a booth at OAF: demand for (silver age and newer) super-hero keys has fallen off a cliff and dealers haven't totally accepted that yet. Admittedly, the demographic there was probably older than normal and has been collecting longer. But other than several requests for Action 252, there was very little interest in first appearances of either major or minor characters. Most dealers were still asking "above auction" prices for books that nobody was anxious to buy. I didn't see a lot of traditional "wall books" moving from their spot on the wall. My guess is that most dealers weren't very happy with their sales volume, but pricing has not found its new equilibrium yet. At Terry's booth we had an open offer to recalibrate based on current internet sales pricing, which I think served him well as far as sales volume.

Your observations are fairly astute; not sure about the fall-off, but the crowd was older and seemed more interested in GA generally.

My two pick-ups at the OAFcon were a Schomburg retrospective from Bud Plant...

And this Fiction House Planet, just because I was on a robot kick...

Alas, the statuesque woman met Sunday was NOT one of my pick-ups!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
My two pick-ups at the OAFcon were a Schomburg retrospective from Bud Plant...

I picked up a couple of readers from the local talent as well:

Post 10 IP   flag post
615423 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?