Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies Television

JAMES GUNN's direction of "SUPERMAN LEGACY"19982

Collector CWill2021 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a concerned that James Gunn's wacky / weird sense of humor could mess up what COULD be an amazing opportunity to re-launch the traditional, heroic version of Superman that audiences want to stand up and cheer for. While Gunn's movies have been successful at the box office, in my opinion his humor and style seem to be more like "inside jokes" that are not really cool for mainstream audiences. So take the most traditional and essentially the oldest superhero - Superman - and all I can do is cross my fingers that James Gunn will "get it" and understand that staying true to the nature of Superman will result in an incredible movie - yet there is a chance he might mess it up.
I'm cautiously optimistic.
**What are your thoughts on it?***

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If he has matured over the years, he must realize that this film has to reach a broad audience. Certain humor or quirky story might not be a good fit. I think he is capable of good story telling so let's hope he does it justice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Superhero movies have often been reduced to cheap one-liners, annoying individuals, dumbass cliches, and the dopiest, silliest content that seems to cater to 11 year olds as of late.

So there is that potential.

But until James Gunn screws something up, I'm counting on him "getting it" and doing Superman the proper justice and movie.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector GothamBridge private msg quote post Address this user
Well let’s look at Gunn’s last 3 films.

Suicide Squad
Guardians Holiday Special
Guardians 3

Of the 3, Guardians was decent. Better than 2, no where near as good as 1. He used all the good music in 1.

The holiday special was worthless, don’t even understand why they bothered to make that thing.

Suicide squad was garbage, but take a good look at the weird stupid and throwaway characters of DC’s basement. This is a sign of things to come.

He’s already brought back the rat (Creature Commandos), and recently he posted a costume fitting for a dog (krpto?)

Yeah, this is going to be a shit show. Right now I don’t have faith that this movie will be at least fun. Trust me, the villain may be Myt-so-spooning-plix, should make for a hoot!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know how much Gunn is taking from the comics he is using for the movie. The Superman movie is based on a few series of books. One of which has to deal with his life ending do to being exposed to long to the sun's radiation, All-Star Superman. In this comic, he essentially has to do 12 labors before he dies. I do know Gunn wanted to do a different story, and I don't think to many will like this, because Gunn and Safran have picked some comics that aren't traditional to the DC comics universe continuity. I'm excited, because my hopes have been revitalized with a different story, other than the re-telling of his origins.
Post 5 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Gunn knows how to make fun, entertaining movies. The “dumb” factor is intentional and effective. Unlike the unintentional dumb factor in many other superhero movies (virtually every non-Gunn MCU film since 2019).

I think he’ll do a good job with it and, given the character, tone down the dumb.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GothamBridge private msg quote post Address this user
Gunn is no different than Snyder or Ford Coppola or many others. When they are on point, they are amazing, when they are not, it’s a hot mess. I hope for the best, but I’m preparing for the worst.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the movie will be at least ok. I don't really think he has made any garbage. I likes suicide squad and loved the holiday special. I would watch that holiday special 10 times before black panther 2 or the last couple marvel shows.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
I would watch that holiday special 10 times before black panther 2 or the last couple marvel shows.

100%
Black Panther 2 was a trainwreck.
If I ever get impaled from my stomach through to my back; don't worry - I'll be alive and ready to keep fighting <serious stupid ass eye roll>. That made a whole lot of sense
Post 9 IP   flag post
619266 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?