Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector huskershawn69 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a comic on eBay that was supposed to be nm, but arrived and it had 6/7 spine cracks that break color.

What kind of grade would a comic with that many spine cracks come back with.

I think I'm just going to request a refund
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Pic?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskershawn69
I bought a comic on eBay that was supposed to be nm, but arrived and it had 6/7 spine cracks that break color.

What kind of grade would a comic with that many spine cracks come back with.

I think I'm just going to request a refund

You can probably get a good guess if you post a picture.

From your comments I think the book might be VF+ at best.
Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a grading expert but that doesn't look like NM. I'm probably wrong though. I want to see what others say just for future reference.
Post 5 IP   flag post
No way. Return it or at least make him pay for a press and your aggrivation (even that may not be enough to get it to nm)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Chaddyboxer private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say VF- at best...just my opinion. Definitely not NM.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I would not consider that NM. VF- to Fine at best. I never have figured out the magic number of spine ticks it takes to drop a book out of the NM or NM- range, but I would say that this book certainly exceeds that number.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddyboxer
I'd say VF- at best...just my opinion. Definitely not NM.

Depending on the rest of the book (corners, back cover, etc.) that sounds about right to me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to Ebay, where everything is considered near mint -- no matter what the condition.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
I'm new to this but I have noticed that too.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Welcome to Ebay, where everything is considered near mint -- no matter what the condition.

Yeah, I've gotten better at this, but occasionally I get bit. This book was well packaged and shipped so you know it was like that when it was put in the box for shipping. The guy was selling about 50 copies and 44 were sold with no negative recent feedback. I guess I should know better, but sometimes you see a good deal and you just want that book you've been looking for.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:

Haha soo true! Goes both ways too, Ive gotten some nice 98s that were just "nm" 👌🏻
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
I'd spend about an hour at a Chinese buffet, have some taco bell for good measure. Then wipe my ass with it and return it. Tell him it's a NM+ Now.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Never buy a comic off ebay (not professionally graded) unless the seller is posting the actual pictures of the comic...and even then you're taking a chance...if the photos are high res and they took the time to take good pictures (and lots of them) you can be pretty confident...but occasionally a spine tick gets through that the camera (depending on the light & angle) doesn't capture. I always bid assuming I'll get no better than a 9.6...and be willing to accept (reluctantly) a 9.2 if someone posts things like "High Grade!!! Excellet Shape!!!! NM!!!" I'm constantly requesting more photos and better photos...only about 10% answer my request and/or fulfill it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I'm constantly requesting more photos and better photos...only about 10% answer my request and/or fulfill it.

That is the most irritating part of buying on eBay.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Let the buyer beware!

As with all conditions - visual grading is subjective and not objective.

I try to be objective in my grading, but will always grade at least a grade lower than what others may claim.

If one of two spine ticks....it automatically will be a 8.5....and not in the NM category.

Those who use NM "loosely" don't know the grading scale well enough.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I think these are the keys to buying raw books on ebay:

1. Ignore the pictures / description
2. Always buy from someone who says either "I am not a professional grader" or "CGC it!"
3. Never worry about negative feedback, everyone deserves a chance for a fresh start
4. Always pay by check or money order instead of using Paypal
Post 19 IP   flag post
597876 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?