Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Look wut I found!19939

Collector chuchie private msg quote post Address this user
I used to "collect" comics for a lot of years but haven't for a lot of years. The main reason for "collecting" was the enjoyment I got in reading them. I never actually intended to collect them. But one title led to another and soon i had a s*** load of 'em and soon I didnt have any room or time or money for them. So I had to stop besides, having kids also makes it difficult. I just put them in boxes (not the kids) and let them sit. So, fast forward years later, every now and then i take some boxes out and see wuts inside. this time it was the HULK box. The HULK box kinda brings me down cuz I had the original gray HULK #1 and i sold it for $2.00. Anyway just scanning thru, I found HULK 181. Up until just recently i was not aware of the significance or value of that issue. This is where all you folks can assist. I have uploaded pics of front and back of that comic. What condition/grade wud you approximate it to be?
Is it worth having it slabbed? pressed? If i want CBCS to grade and slab it, how much wud that cost/ wut about shipping it....and assigning a value to it for insurance...... What other factors should i consider/be aware of. Is slabbing even worth it?
Thanks for any input or advice or opinion you can give.

Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@chuchie Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely have it slabbed and, more than likely, pressed. In its current condition (from what I can see) its worth thousands of dollars.

Does it still have the Marvel Stamp inside or has that been cut out?

Congratulations!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Rad book! What @DWeeB1967 said.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats. Like finding 5k in a box but way more fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
How do I know this? Because I've done it myself. lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
It's worth 2.00. Happy to buy it from you!

Joking aside, everything @DWeeB1967 said is correct. Based on those 2 pictures, I'd put it around 8.0. Slabbing it adds value and preserves the condition of the book. Have it pressed as well before slabbing. Obviously, value changes, but you can get a sense of the average value by looking at Ebay or using sites like GPA Analysis or CovrPrice that monitors past sales. Right now, if you go to Ebay, you could buy a slabbed 8.0 and pay between $6,600 or up to $8,000 depending on who you want to buy from. If you look at past sales, an 8.0 copy sold for $6,200 back in July.

For submitting, you can select the "Any Year Any Value" tier and it's $200 for slabbing and $150 for pressing. Otherwise, you need to determine an approximate value and list it when you submit the book. If you declare the maximum value below $7,000, which I think you reasonably can in this case, then the slabbing cost is $140 and the pressing cost is $70. Shipping and insurance is separate (and you definitely should have sufficient insurance on the book for shipping).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and congrats on such an awesome book!
Post 5 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@chuchie Welcome!! Awesome book...yes to Slabbing and probably yes to Pressing. Both @lawguy1977 and @DWeeB1967 have provided excellent advice.

Whatever you decide, please let us know here. Cheers!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
Shipping and insurance is separate (and you definitely should have sufficient insurance on the book for shipping).

I second @lawguy1977 here... do not skimp on the insurance assuming that everything will go fine. Books can get damaged or lost so insure for the full value and sleep better at night.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
Absolutely check to see if the value stamp has been cut out. Even if so it is still worth the press and slab but the value will be waaay less if the stamp is removed.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
You probably have other “key” books worthy of grading. There, EBay sold listings help you figure out the ones worth spending some money on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector chuchie private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for all your thoughts, advice, and comments. much appreciated!
Post 10 IP   flag post
615415 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?