Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeSignatures

Finally sold my collection!19918

Collector furlo316 private msg quote post Address this user
Lone Star (mycomicahop.com) came through with a strong offer, so out go 70 short boxes to Arlington, TX! There's nearly 100 slabs, two boxes of Curtis mags...70 boxes, 30 Lbs a box, should be a hefty bill for shipping (+ Insurance.) Glad they're covering those costs! Lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
wow, that's a lot of short boxes! congrats on the offer
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yarp, 8500 books. Lost them in the divorce! Lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
70 short boxes...

I remember those days, it's nice to have them in the rear view mirror.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
any Golden Age ?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I got an offer from them too for roughly the same qty of books but was not happy with the base offer. About 100 slabs but lots of low grade GA Batman (issue 10 to current) and Detective (issue 77 to current with a handful in between 27 and 76). I do know that there is a lot of fluff in there. I think auction house might be my best bet.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@the420bandito, yeah there's some Atlas stuff in there, and some others. War books or kid books. Lol
Post 7 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats. I'm ready to sell mine as well. 1500 plus higher grade slabs and 2000 similar raw, mainly obscure esoteric GA and SA #1's, #nn's, promos, giveaways, 3-D comics plus Dell file copies. Just not sure who woukd have the money to buy this collection? So hard to price books like this that never come up in high grade. I may turn it all over to Steve Borick to sell at Comic Link.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@Bobashek, my stuff is actually pretty stout. Tons of Silver and Bronze age, 100+ autographs, there are keys in there that aren't slabbed and definitely should be
.. I worked at a LCS for a stretch, so I was able to pad my PC with goodies! Lol
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
Some of those 1940s book grades are real impressive.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek
I got an offer from them too for roughly the same qty of books but was not happy with the base offer. About 100 slabs but lots of low grade GA Batman (issue 10 to current) and Detective (issue 77 to current with a handful in between 27 and 76). I do know that there is a lot of fluff in there. I think auction house might be my best bet.

Not a good time to be selling in my humble opinion. I think it will only get worse in 24-25. I would wait it out if that's an option.
Post 11 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
Some of those 1940s book grades are real impressive.
I have tons in grades like that. I purposely tried to stay 7.5 or above when possible, but really 8.5 on up. Borock told me once anything golden in 7.5 or up is considered high grade. I did that so I wouldn't end up with 1000s of low grade books, as I have limited storage.

Post 12 IP   flag post
I consider anything above a 3.0 pretty good for those years. 7 and above is just out of my range unless I find one thrift store style. Really cool to see such nice books.
Post 13 IP   flag post
My impetus for selling was my divorce. I had a bottom figure, and Lone Star exceeded it. They knew more, I haven't looked on some of those boxes for years. They offered a third of retail. I couldn't say no.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't blame you. I love comics but I love a stack of cash more.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector dennisqdw private msg quote post Address this user
@furlo316 Did you have an itemized list of everything in all those boxes? How did they know what to offer? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of my own books. I live in New Mexico now where I don't think anyone local would be interested in what I have.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Congrats. I'm ready to sell mine as well. 1500 plus higher grade slabs and 2000 similar raw, mainly obscure esoteric GA and SA #1's, #nn's, promos, giveaways, 3-D comics plus Dell file copies. Just not sure who woukd have the money to buy this collection? So hard to price books like this that never come up in high grade. I may turn it all over to Steve Borick to sell at Comic Link.

From what I see your best bet would be to reach out to Heritage and consign with them at a premier auction. Yes, they have a higher fee but I've heard they will waive some of the fees on bigger collections. Dp you have the books cataloged in a list?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector consumetheliving private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!! these are amazing

Post 18 IP   flag post
@consumetheliving I have a list of all the graded, but not the raw.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@dennisqdw, I did indeed submit a list, and sent a separate (but overlapping) list of my slabs. They do an average grade (VG I believe) and make their offer off of that. I did submit several pics of various books(Uncanny #4, Journey 62, other ancillary keys)...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisqdw
@furlo316 Did you have an itemized list of everything in all those boxes? How did they know what to offer? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of my own books. I live in New Mexico now where I don't think anyone local would be interested in what I have.

Your best bet is to have something in Excel. That is how I do mine and I’m over 9000 books now.
Post 21 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 Have you tried contacting Steve now? He is at Comiclink and he may be interested in your collection.
His email should be on their site.
If you cannot reach him, let me know.
I will be chatting with him Thursday after this hurricane gets past us.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
He has already said he's sending them to MCS.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@earthshaker01 Have you tried contacting Steve now? He is at Comiclink and he may be interested in your collection.
His email should be on their site.
If you cannot reach him, let me know.
I will be chatting with him Thursday after this hurricane gets past us.
Thanks. He knows my collection, as he has graded a lot of it over the years when he was at CBCS. He said he could always tell when a batch of mine came across his grading desk, due to the obscurity and higher grades. I haven't really talked to him about my collect too much since he went to comic link. He thinks it's very unique in rhese grades. I'm just at a point in my life that I want it all gone within the next few years. Kind of waiting to see if election in the next year helps my decision to sell now or hold it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
615425 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?