Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS "Lost" my Stan Lee signed Fantastic Four 48 (stolen?)19888

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

To be fair, when I first submitted books I didn't know what to put on value as well. I actually asked that question specifically to the forums. However, the guy / girl accepting the book should have explained it and put an amount in for the value of the book. If the owner of the book ok'd it because he / she didn't understand what was written then the problem lies with the owner. They shouldn't have signed off on sonething they didn't understand. To try and make up values and jack up tbe value after the fact is not logical.
Post 51 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatWilly
I arrived at the $3800 amount by looking at ended Ebay listings for FF 48's. Mine was roughly a 7.0 grade, so I was looking at 7.0 listings, and I was seeing them going for between $2600 and $3000, and was adding in the extra $ because mine was signed, and I hadn't yet found any ended listings for a signed copy in the same condition, so I had to guess at the value the sig added. However, I later did find a 7.0 signed copy that sold in May. The seller there had a listing price of $8000 but 'best offer' was accepted, so no telling how much it actually sold for. But I'm guessing it was more than the $3800 that I told Chance I would be willing to accept.

Where was that $8,000 listing? I was going to find the accepted offer but it wasn't on eBay.

Also, you have to understand this...
You say it's a 7.0 but it wasn't graded.
You say it's a legit sig but it wasn't verified.
You say they owe you $3,800 but you didn't mention that on the submission form.

For all they know, Fed-Ex lost a fake FF48, with a fake sig, in 3.5 condition... and they're offering you $1,000 for it. If it wasn't insured for the proper amount you shouldn't have given it to them.
I realize this is an expensive lesson, and I completely understand why it would make you angry, but no business is going to hand you $3,800 for something they can't verify AND wasn't insured for.

As for the pictures, I don't know if they'd be worth posting or not. Some people may actually keep an eye out for it, who knows. But unless there is some very obvious defect then it's just another FF48 on the shelf for sale somewhere. No one is going to ask to see the inside cover for you just as a favor. And once it's graded by the new owner... it's a goner.

I still think you are exaggerating the value of one of the most common signatures around. Even if it did verify, which it very often does not, the label will just say "Verified Signature STAN LEE on first page". However unique you say the signature is, no one will know unless they crack it open.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just assumed they were the ones that determined the approx value to insure it for. Otherwise everyone would list their book's value at a bajillion trillion $$

Had you ever submitted comics to CBCS or CGC before?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector OatWilly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
I arrived at the $3800 amount by looking at ended Ebay listings for FF 48's. Mine was roughly a 7.0 grade, so I was looking at 7.0 listings, and I was seeing them going for between $2600 and $3000, and was adding in the extra $ because mine was signed, and I hadn't yet found any ended listings for a signed copy in the same condition, so I had to guess at the value the sig added. However, I later did find a 7.0 signed copy that sold in May. The seller there had a listing price of $8000 but 'best offer' was accepted, so no telling how much it actually sold for. But I'm guessing it was more than the $3800 that I told Chance I would be willing to accept.

Where was that $8,000 listing? I was going to find the accepted offer but it wasn't on eBay.

Also, you have to understand this...
You say it's a 7.0 but it wasn't graded.
You say it's a legit sig but it wasn't verified.
You say they owe you $3,800 but you didn't mention that on the submission form.

For all they know, Fed-Ex lost a fake FF48, with a fake sig, in 3.5 condition... and they're offering you $1,000 for it. If it wasn't insured for the proper amount you shouldn't have given it to them.
I realize this is an expensive lesson, and I completely understand why it would make you angry, but no business is going to hand you $3,800 for something they can't verify AND wasn't insured for.

As for the pictures, I don't know if they'd be worth posting or not. Some people may actually keep an eye out for it, who knows. But unless there is some very obvious defect then it's just another FF48 on the shelf for sale somewhere. No one is going to ask to see the inside cover for you just as a favor. And once it's graded by the new owner... it's a goner.

I still think you are exaggerating the value of one of the most common signatures around. Even if it did verify, which it very often does not, the label will just say "Verified Signature STAN LEE on first page". However unique you say the signature is, no one will know unless they crack it open.

Well this is weird, that 8K ended listing is gone. It was there yesterday and is gone now. It completed on 5/25, maybe it expired today from being viewable? I don't know, but it's irrelevant because I wasn't asking to be reimbursed that amount anyway.

And no, it's NOT "for all they know a 3.5 w/a fake sig". They reviewed the book when I submitted it. They know it's VF. And if I were going to lie, why would I stop at VF? I'd claim it was NM. And I obtained that sig on it personally, so I know it's real. If I were a fraudster I would have taken the 1K and slipped away, but I didn't take the 1K, I refused it. I also filed a police report and reported the book stolen, and listed it on the report as Signed by Stan Lee and the condition being VF. Would I have done that if it was a "3.5 with a fake sig"?

I could also care less what YOU think of the value of Stan's sig on this book. If CBCS didn't agree with me they could have expressed that and countered. FF 48's in much lower grades with NO sig on them have sold recently for more than 1K.

Anyway, this is probably my last post responding to anyone wanting to take the conversation into the weeds with a bunch of silliness and nonsense
Post 54 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly Nobody is accusing you of fraud. I think the fact that you've never submitted books for grading before makes people skeptical of the condition that you assigned to the book. Most of us assumed our first submissions were higher grade than they actually were.
Post 55 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I could also care less what YOU think of the value of Stan's sig on this book.

It’s good to know you care at least a little about what he thinks of its potential value. Shows humility.
Post 56 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

And no, it's NOT "for all they know a 3.5 w/a fake sig". They reviewed the book when I submitted it. They know it's VF. And if I were going to lie, why would I stop at VF?

For all they know it could be a 3.5 with a fake sig. They don't grade the book (missing pages, coupons, etc) at the con and they didn't see it get signed.

I didn't say you were lying, I was telling you you have no proof that you aren't. Don't get offended by that, it's just a fact.

I believe you, and I believe most of your story. But I was trying to tell you how they probably see things.

You're angry at CBCS and some of us in the forum but haven't said a thing about FedEx. You're mad at everyone except who you should be.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Collector OatWilly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

And no, it's NOT "for all they know a 3.5 w/a fake sig". They reviewed the book when I submitted it. They know it's VF. And if I were going to lie, why would I stop at VF?

For all they know it could be a 3.5 with a fake sig. They don't grade the book (missing pages, coupons, etc) at the con and they didn't see it get signed.

I didn't say you were lying, I was telling you you have no proof that you aren't. Don't get offended by that, it's just a fact.

I believe you, and I believe most of your story. But I was trying to tell you how they probably see things.

You're angry at CBCS and some of us in the forum but haven't said a thing about FedEx. You're mad at everyone except who you should be.

I hear what you're saying, but it's wrong for them to adopt the "for all we know" attitude in a case like this. "For all we know your VF and signed book is a 3.5 with a fake sig, so we're going to go with that and that's what we're going to pay you". That would be crazy right? But based on the lowball offers they're making to everyone it almost seems like this IS what they're doing. Except that they did review the books that were presented to them in person at the con, so it's not a 'for all we know' situation. They do know, in the ballpark at least. We're going to pay you "fair market value" (fair market value on a substantially lower grade book that is) LOL.

Dude, we don't even know the details on the FedEx story. I pressed Chance for details and he wouldn't tell me. But it doesn't matter. I mean sure, maybe I'd be mad at FedEx too if I knew the story, but ultimately it's CBCS's responsibility to do right by their customers here, not anyone else's. Bottom line is the books are gone and CBCS is not stepping up.
Post 58 IP   flag post
619572 58 8
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.