Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS "Lost" my Stan Lee signed Fantastic Four 48 (stolen?)19888

Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Same thing happened to me. Will never submit again. Learned a valuable lesson on a very sad situation. Books were in vault, then they weren't. I've come to terms with the loss, I guess. Business's are built on trust.

@Sigur_Ros
Hope a company doesn't lose your books and low-ball you. In my case, there was a $400 discrepancy. Empathy only applies when it happens to you, I guess. Good to know where your heart is.
Post 26 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79

@Sigur_Ros
Hope a company doesn't lose your books and low-ball you.

I guess you're free to ignore where I said "I'm very sorry to hear this" and "hope they find them".... But yeah, I hope so too!

Thanks!

My points still stand though. 🤷
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector OatWilly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The fact that this thread remains active when you're accusing CBCS of theft without proof speaks volumes of CBCS. Heck, you have the word stolen and CBCS in the title. If it were me, this thread would have either been immediately deleted or advised to change the tone of your content.

The fact that this thread remains active should tell you something.

Funny how every internet forum since the inception of the internet has it's resident buffoon. That one guy that makes an ass of himself constantly. And why is it usually the guy with an insane, inhuman post-count? Makes sense I guess...that ridiculous post-count suggests a sad person with no life outside his little forum fantasy-land where he imagines himself to be the alpha-dog king that he can't be in real life, blasting away at people. Typical small man's complex. Well, congrats on being 'that guy'
Post 28 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatWilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The fact that this thread remains active when you're accusing CBCS of theft without proof speaks volumes of CBCS. Heck, you have the word stolen and CBCS in the title. If it were me, this thread would have either been immediately deleted or advised to change the tone of your content.

Funny how every internet forum since the inception of the internet has it's resident buffoon. That one guy that makes an ass of himself constantly. And why is it usually the guy with an insane, inhuman post-count? Makes sense I guess...that ridiculous post-count suggests a sad person with no life outside his little forum fantasy-land where he imagines himself to be the alpha-dog king that he can't be in real life, blasting away at people. Typical small man's complex. Well, congrats on being 'that guy'

lol!!!!!!! ruff-ruff tough guy! 🤣
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly It's not a post count. It's up votes doled out by his peers on the awesomeness of his posts.
Post 30 IP   flag post

would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

You know, if you keep up the personal attacks, the thread will be locked and we'll never find your book.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
When keeping it real goes wrong…….
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
To OP sorry about your loss, but am I the only one upset that the CBCS rep doubled down on AUCTION price differences between CBCS and CGC?

That’s not how you retain business. Chase needs to be chased out of CSR lol.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
To OP sorry about your loss, but am I the only one upset that the CBCS rep doubled down on AUCTION price differences between CBCS and CGC?

@teacha777 Was thinking the same thing.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly I do agree that a $1000 offer for the loss is low what would be an acceptable payout to you?
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
You know what, I believe the guy's name was "Chance" not Chase, my bad.

Does this mean he should be given a second Chance? Never has so much relied upon a person's name.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

Quote:

Does this mean he should be given a second Chance? Never has so much relied upon a person's name.

Not a chance.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murm
@teacha777 Was thinking the same thing.

Quote:

You guys are misunderstanding his comment. He didn't say that CGC books sell for more than CBCS. The book that is lost was not yet graded by CBCS. Nothing about it had yet been verified, not the grade or the signature. He was comparing CGC results to raw books when he said that.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

You guys are misunderstanding his comment. He didn't say that CGC books sell for more than CBCS. The book that is lost was not yet graded by CBCS. Nothing about it had yet been verified, not the grade or the signature. He was comparing CGC results to raw books when he said that.

Some people here are misunderstanding or not getting why I scoffed at Chance for saying that. I was pointing out the irony. He said they can't possibly use graded copies to determine fair market value for my book...a book that had been sent in to be graded (but now couldn't be because they "lost" it). See the irony? I also thought the "CGC" graded books are worth more aspect to his comment was hilarious considering the guy works for CBCS
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murm
@OatWilly I do agree that a $1000 offer for the loss is low what would be an acceptable payout to you?

I countered with an amount of $3800 cash payout OR a replacement. I arrived at the $3800 amount by looking at ended Ebay listings for FF 48's. Mine was roughly a 7.0 grade, so I was looking at 7.0 listings, and I was seeing them going for between $2600 and $3000, and was adding in the extra $ because mine was signed, and I hadn't yet found any ended listings for a signed copy in the same condition, so I had to guess at the value the sig added. However, I later did find a 7.0 signed copy that sold in May. The seller there had a listing price of $8000 but 'best offer' was accepted, so no telling how much it actually sold for. But I'm guessing it was more than the $3800 that I told Chance I would be willing to accept.

Again, I did make the offer to accept a replacement FF 48 in lieu of a cash payout. And hey, if it's really a book that they can score for $1000, then that would have been a great option for them you'd think. But they said NO to that, and NO to my counter offer and dug their heels in at not a penny more than $1000. Tells you how much credibility they were assigning to their assertion that this was really a $1000 book.

And btw - they had a stipulation to the $1000 offer...accepting it was contingent upon me signing a waiver relinquishing my rights to ownership of the book. Meaning that if they were to suddenly "find" it, they now legally own it and can do whatever they want with it, resell it, whatever. He said in that event they would offer to sell it back to me for the $1000, but why would I believe that? They wouldn't be held to that legally. I'd have to trust that they're 'nice guys' and would do the right thing, and thus far they've hardly shown they're concerned with doing the right thing.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

He must be Chance the Rapper, cuz' he's being gangsta af yo
Post 41 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly - This was already asked by @flanders numerous posts ago, but what value for the book did you list on your CBCS form? If you listed $1000, then that is all they should offer you. If you listed $3800, then they should honor that amount, since that is the amount it would have been valued for shipping purposes. The amount you listed is important, because it determined both the tier (and cost to grade) for the book, and also the return shipping and insurance costs. You can’t change your mind about how much the book is worth when there is a need to make an insurance claim.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@OatWilly - This was already asked by @flanders numerous posts ago, but what value for the book did you list on your CBCS form? If you listed $1000, then that is all they should offer you. If you listed $3800, then they should honor that amount, since that is the amount it would have been valued for shipping purposes. The amount you listed is important, because it determined both the tier (and cost to grade) for the book, and also the return shipping and insurance costs. You can’t change your mind about how much the book is worth when there is a need to make an insurance claim.

I've already answered that question
Post 43 IP   flag post
Due to facing some criticism and skepticism from a couple people here I feel a need to re-iterate something - this incident didn't just involve me, it involves a bunch of people that submitted their books at SDCC 2023. There's discussion and complaints about this incident happening in various places on the web and social media, and everyone's complaining of receiving these lowball offers. Not a single person yet has chimed in that they were taken care of fairly. So before you come at me remember that I'm one of many, not just some random lone dude making these assertions.

Also, in regards to "Chase", he said some dopey things on the call, but in actuality I'm not sure how much ire he deserves. I don't know what role he plays in the $$ figures they are offering to people. For all I know he's just a low-level CSR rep that was given the unfortunate task of calling people to break the news, and was just saying what he was told to say. He could be more than that, or not, I don't know, so even though I'm guilty of busting on him I don't want to throw too much hate his way. The real person(s) to be pissed at is the higher-up that assessed the situation and made the decision to try and screw people to save a couple bux instead of doing the right thing. It would have cost a little more in the short term, but would have paid dividends long-term in word of mouth that they had taken care of people. As it stands though, a real DUMB business move. And this comes on the heels of what's happening in the cards grading industry right now with the Marx Cards/PSA scandal. Not the time to be F'ing with people's trust.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
You should still have a receipt which shows what the Cbcs rep may have under insured it for. I'm also not sure why you won't post photos. It could help if someone comes across a copy that looks similar. I would also create a thread on the cgc forum, but consider stating that FedEx lost the shipment, but still detail your interaction with the cbcs rep and how you weren't really given an option to choose an insurance amount. That seems extremely shady.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You should still have a receipt which shows what the Cbcs rep may have under insured it for. I'm also not sure why you won't post photos. It could help if someone comes across a copy that looks similar. I would also create a thread on the cgc forum, but consider stating that FedEx lost the shipment, but still detail your interaction with the cbcs rep and how you weren't really given an option to choose an insurance amount. That seems extremely shady.
this was already answered. Not really.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post photos of what, the comic? I already posted a pic of the most distinctive and unmistakable thing about it, Stan's autograph. The only photo I have of the exterior of the book is a pic I took of Stan at the signing with the book on the table in front of him. And no one is going to get much from that. It could be almost any copy of FF 48.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:

I already have created a similar thread for this over at the CGC forums. You know what's funny, no victim blaming or bashing over there, only condolences. Makes sense, no CBCS fanbois or employees posing as regular posters over there

And on the insurance amount, is that shady? I just assumed they were the ones that determined the approx value to insure it for. Otherwise everyone would list their book's value at a bajillion trillion $$
Post 48 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly - Horrible. Hopefully your comic and the rest are recovered.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
And on the insurance amount, is that shady?

You should have an idea of what your book is worth and choose what to insure it for. The fact that you have no idea of what this amount is or what tier it was submitted under is concerning.

In terms of overinsuring, cbcs should be taking photos and documenting the higher value books upon their submission in case something like this happens. And customers should be taking detailed photos of their books so they can cover themselves as well.
Post 50 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

To be fair, when I first submitted books I didn't know what to put on value as well. I actually asked that question specifically to the forums. However, the guy / girl accepting the book should have explained it and put an amount in for the value of the book. If the owner of the book ok'd it because he / she didn't understand what was written then the problem lies with the owner. They shouldn't have signed off on sonething they didn't understand. To try and make up values and jack up tbe value after the fact is not logical.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
I arrived at the $3800 amount by looking at ended Ebay listings for FF 48's. Mine was roughly a 7.0 grade, so I was looking at 7.0 listings, and I was seeing them going for between $2600 and $3000, and was adding in the extra $ because mine was signed, and I hadn't yet found any ended listings for a signed copy in the same condition, so I had to guess at the value the sig added. However, I later did find a 7.0 signed copy that sold in May. The seller there had a listing price of $8000 but 'best offer' was accepted, so no telling how much it actually sold for. But I'm guessing it was more than the $3800 that I told Chance I would be willing to accept.

Where was that $8,000 listing? I was going to find the accepted offer but it wasn't on eBay.

Also, you have to understand this...
You say it's a 7.0 but it wasn't graded.
You say it's a legit sig but it wasn't verified.
You say they owe you $3,800 but you didn't mention that on the submission form.

For all they know, Fed-Ex lost a fake FF48, with a fake sig, in 3.5 condition... and they're offering you $1,000 for it. If it wasn't insured for the proper amount you shouldn't have given it to them.
I realize this is an expensive lesson, and I completely understand why it would make you angry, but no business is going to hand you $3,800 for something they can't verify AND wasn't insured for.

As for the pictures, I don't know if they'd be worth posting or not. Some people may actually keep an eye out for it, who knows. But unless there is some very obvious defect then it's just another FF48 on the shelf for sale somewhere. No one is going to ask to see the inside cover for you just as a favor. And once it's graded by the new owner... it's a goner.

I still think you are exaggerating the value of one of the most common signatures around. Even if it did verify, which it very often does not, the label will just say "Verified Signature STAN LEE on first page". However unique you say the signature is, no one will know unless they crack it open.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just assumed they were the ones that determined the approx value to insure it for. Otherwise everyone would list their book's value at a bajillion trillion $$

Had you ever submitted comics to CBCS or CGC before?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
I arrived at the $3800 amount by looking at ended Ebay listings for FF 48's. Mine was roughly a 7.0 grade, so I was looking at 7.0 listings, and I was seeing them going for between $2600 and $3000, and was adding in the extra $ because mine was signed, and I hadn't yet found any ended listings for a signed copy in the same condition, so I had to guess at the value the sig added. However, I later did find a 7.0 signed copy that sold in May. The seller there had a listing price of $8000 but 'best offer' was accepted, so no telling how much it actually sold for. But I'm guessing it was more than the $3800 that I told Chance I would be willing to accept.

Where was that $8,000 listing? I was going to find the accepted offer but it wasn't on eBay.

Also, you have to understand this...
You say it's a 7.0 but it wasn't graded.
You say it's a legit sig but it wasn't verified.
You say they owe you $3,800 but you didn't mention that on the submission form.

For all they know, Fed-Ex lost a fake FF48, with a fake sig, in 3.5 condition... and they're offering you $1,000 for it. If it wasn't insured for the proper amount you shouldn't have given it to them.
I realize this is an expensive lesson, and I completely understand why it would make you angry, but no business is going to hand you $3,800 for something they can't verify AND wasn't insured for.

As for the pictures, I don't know if they'd be worth posting or not. Some people may actually keep an eye out for it, who knows. But unless there is some very obvious defect then it's just another FF48 on the shelf for sale somewhere. No one is going to ask to see the inside cover for you just as a favor. And once it's graded by the new owner... it's a goner.

I still think you are exaggerating the value of one of the most common signatures around. Even if it did verify, which it very often does not, the label will just say "Verified Signature STAN LEE on first page". However unique you say the signature is, no one will know unless they crack it open.

Well this is weird, that 8K ended listing is gone. It was there yesterday and is gone now. It completed on 5/25, maybe it expired today from being viewable? I don't know, but it's irrelevant because I wasn't asking to be reimbursed that amount anyway.

And no, it's NOT "for all they know a 3.5 w/a fake sig". They reviewed the book when I submitted it. They know it's VF. And if I were going to lie, why would I stop at VF? I'd claim it was NM. And I obtained that sig on it personally, so I know it's real. If I were a fraudster I would have taken the 1K and slipped away, but I didn't take the 1K, I refused it. I also filed a police report and reported the book stolen, and listed it on the report as Signed by Stan Lee and the condition being VF. Would I have done that if it was a "3.5 with a fake sig"?

I could also care less what YOU think of the value of Stan's sig on this book. If CBCS didn't agree with me they could have expressed that and countered. FF 48's in much lower grades with NO sig on them have sold recently for more than 1K.

Anyway, this is probably my last post responding to anyone wanting to take the conversation into the weeds with a bunch of silliness and nonsense
Post 54 IP   flag post
@OatWilly Nobody is accusing you of fraud. I think the fact that you've never submitted books for grading before makes people skeptical of the condition that you assigned to the book. Most of us assumed our first submissions were higher grade than they actually were.
Post 55 IP   flag post
619572 58 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.