Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS "Lost" my Stan Lee signed Fantastic Four 48 (stolen?)19888

Collector OatWilly private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted a VF Fantastic Four 48 signed by Stan Lee to CBCS last month in person at SDCC. Yesterday I got a call from someone named "Chance" at CBCS informing me it was "lost". He only offered vague details on how it became "lost". Something about how a box of SDCC submissions went missing in shipping, but was vague when I asked for details.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Anyway, I'd like to ask for help here. I'm attaching a picture of Stan's signature on the book. It's on page 1 (not the cover) and it's a very distinctive signature. I had this book signed personally and asked Stan to sign it "Stan 'The Man' Lee" which he did. This is something you rarely (if ever) see and makes this particular book unique and easy to spot. If anyone should happen to see this book up for sale anywhere, or if you're a dealer and someone contacts you wanting to sell it, would you mind emailing me at: oatwilly@gmail.com Thank you!

Post 1 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Very sorry to hear this. Great book to have signed personally.

One thing I've never done is submit at a con. Obviously it works since people do it all the time but I never liked the idea of adding more middlemen.

Anyway, hope CBCS finds it in a box somewhere.

Keep us updated.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Averycomicpressing private msg quote post Address this user
Post 3 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear this. Please keep us apprised of any news. I hope it turns up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
They replied on instagram to someone who inquired about this. Cbcs states FedEx lost the shipment and they started an insurance claim through their own policy.

I hope you and all the other submitters somehow get their books back.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Stolen unfortunately is a possibility. Worked in the past with many people who "decided to give themselves a raise." I'd be surprised if cbcs doesn't have cameras all over the new building. Hopefully there was just a clerical error. If not call them. Be polite ask them what they are doing to resolve the situation. Ask what protocols regardiding surveillance they have. If you get no answers or the runaround me personally I would litigate. I hope cbcs has the wherewithal to make this right to your satisfaction.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@cesidio You would sue CBCS over a shipment lost by FedEx?
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@cesidio You would sue CBCS over a shipment lost by FedEx?

Lawsuits - Replacing baseball as the nation's pastime.
Post 8 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Fed Ex should attach a tracker on all packages over 1,000.00 insured value. They are cheap in bulk.
That would make finding "lost" packages a thing of the past.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I would do or have someone who knows what they are doing the due diligence. If cbcs didn't get the book they didn't get the book. Fed ex ups amazon I know all 3 companies have Thier distribution centers and warehouses wired. Just saying what I would do. The said book is by no means a cheap one
Post 10 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Learn something new everyday...
I didn't know that comics submitted at a con were shipped. I just figured they'd go back with the people.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm personally skeptical about the whole "FedEx lost a shipment" story. SDCC was just a couple weeks ago. If it were a lost shipment it would still be within FedEx's 'we're looking for it' timeframe. If you were CBCS, wouldn't you just wait that out a bit before making the "guess what...we lost your book(s)" phone calls?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatWilly
SDCC was just a couple weeks ago.

SDCC was a month ago. It's now been over 3 weeks since the package was supposed to be delivered to CBCS and maybe longer since the package was last scanned in the Fedex system. I think the "we're looking for it" timeframe has long passed.

CBCS has also filed a claim thourgh their insurance carrier and are likely trying to get any additional documentation from customers to support the FMV the items were insured for.
Post 13 IP   flag post
That's all super-great and really swell for them that they're working with FedEx and their insurance etc, but guess what...they aren't making the situation right with the victims. They're offering everyone lowball offers, a fraction of the missing book(s) value, and asking people to sign a waiver relinquishing their rights in the situation and ownership of the books. So basically if you sign the waiver and except the meager payment, and they suddenly "find" your book(s), they are now legally the owners and can do whatever they want with them, i.e; sell them with a big profit margin and make out like bandits. The whole affair reeks of a scam. If not an intentional scam they're at least looking at the situation from an opportunistic POV, and how THEY can benefit the most from it.

What they offered to me personally was $1000 for my VF-range Stan Lee signed FF 48. Just the signature alone on this book is probably worth $1000 if not more. I asked the guy (a guy named "Chase" how they arrived at that amount, and he told me "fair market value". I was in front of my computer, so when he said that I looked up ended listings of FF 48 on Ebay, and even low-grade unsigned copies were selling for more than that. When I quoted the prices to him Chase says "well yeah but those are CGC graded, CGC graded books sell for more" LOL. I could not F'ing believe it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
What they offered to me personally was $1000 for my VF-range Stan Lee signed FF 48

It would help if you provided more photos of the book here. Most people on the forum are impartial and aren't on the CBCS bandwagon. What did you insure the book for when you filled out the submission form? You should have a receipt showing the insurance amount and the tier it was submitted under. That's certainly an outrageous offer if that's the condition it's in.

Insurance is usually very specific when it comes to claims, unless they are trying to lowball you. They would usually provide you substantial data with a list of comparable sold copies and the price they sold for with any sales tax added. That would give the true cost to acquire a similar copy. How much leverage did "Chase" think he would have while just throwing a random number out there with no data to support it?
Post 15 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So basically if you sign the waiver and except the meager payment, and they suddenly "find" your book(s), they are now legally the owners and can do whatever they want with them, i.e; sell them with a big profit margin and make out like bandits.

Pretty sure CBCS has enough legitimate business to keep them afloat that they don't need to steal and sell your FF48 to pay the bills.

Quote:
Just the signature alone on this book is probably worth $1000 if not more.

Lol, no.

Quote:
"well yeah but those are CGC graded, CGC graded books sell for more" LOL. I could not F'ing believe it.

He's not wrong.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user

Good luck.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
So basically if you sign the waiver and except the meager payment, and they suddenly "find" your book(s), they are now legally the owners and can do whatever they want with them, i.e; sell them with a big profit margin and make out like bandits.

Pretty sure CBCS has enough legitimate business to keep them afloat that they don't need to steal and sell your FF48 to pay the bills.

Quote:

Lol, no.

Quote:
"well yeah but those are CGC graded, CGC graded books sell for more" LOL. I could not F'ing believe it.

He's not wrong.

Duuuude. People were robbed. The incident included multiple people, and the same thing is happening to them with the lowball settlement offers from CBCS that many of them are refusing to accept. Where's your heart at? Where's your conscience and empathy at? You picked the wrong thread to troll
Post 18 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question on my part.

Didn't you put an accepted insurance value on the book? If you did, shouldn't that be what they are reimbursing you for?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Customer service still has a long way to go it seems.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Stupid question on my part.

Didn't you put an accepted insurance value on the book? If you did, shouldn't that be what they are reimbursing you for?

No, and I wasn't given an option to do that. The booth guy I dealt with mentioned that it was insured but I was never asked to specify an amount to insure it for.

The guy that called me and offered me the $1000 told me the $1000 amount was based on "fair market value". Yes, I feel incredibly stupid now for not pressing the booth guy for the details of what "insured" meant.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That's really weird. I know I max out tiers when filling out insurance values, just in case something like this happens.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
What they offered to me personally was $1000 for my VF-range Stan Lee signed FF 48

It would help if you provided more photos of the book here. Most people on the forum are impartial and aren't on the CBCS bandwagon. What did you insure the book for when you filled out the submission form? You should have a receipt showing the insurance amount and the tier it was submitted under. That's certainly an outrageous offer if that's the condition it's in.

Insurance is usually very specific when it comes to claims, unless they are trying to lowball you. They would usually provide you substantial data with a list of comparable sold copies and the price they sold for with any sales tax added. That would give the true cost to acquire a similar copy. How much leverage did "Chase" think he would have while just throwing a random number out there with no data to support it?

You know what, I believe the guy's name was "Chance" not Chase, my bad. Anyway, during the conversation I mentioned it being a VF range book, and he said "yeah" in agreement. I don't know how he knew that. Maybe the booth guy I had dealt with noted that on the form?

In regards to photos of the book, I'm not inclined to share them here. I don't see how it's relevant. I only included the photo of Stan's sig in my post because it's unique and a good identifier in case anyone encounters it out there in the wild, and that was the purpose of my post, to let people know it's a stolen book
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:

Quote:

Lol, no.

Quote:

He's not wrong.

Duuuude. People were robbed. The incident included multiple people, and the same thing is happening to them with the lowball settlement offers from CBCS that many of them are refusing to accept. Where's your heart at? Where's your conscience and empathy at? You picked the wrong thread to troll

It's cool that you all somehow found each other, keep in touch and compare offers. Unlikely, but cool 👍 but it isn't trolling just because you don't like what is said.

1. CBCS didn't steal your book.
2. Stan's sig, especially interior, isn't worth $1K.
3. The CBCS rep was right. Typically CGC sells for more.

As for the location of my heart, there are worse things happening in the world than the loss of your comic book.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that this thread remains active when you're accusing CBCS of theft without proof speaks volumes of CBCS. Heck, you have the word stolen and CBCS in the title. If it were me, this thread would have either been immediately deleted or advised to change the tone of your content.

The fact that this thread remains active should tell you something.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Same thing happened to me. Will never submit again. Learned a valuable lesson on a very sad situation. Books were in vault, then they weren't. I've come to terms with the loss, I guess. Business's are built on trust.

@Sigur_Ros
Hope a company doesn't lose your books and low-ball you. In my case, there was a $400 discrepancy. Empathy only applies when it happens to you, I guess. Good to know where your heart is.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman79

@Sigur_Ros
Hope a company doesn't lose your books and low-ball you.

I guess you're free to ignore where I said "I'm very sorry to hear this" and "hope they find them".... But yeah, I hope so too!

Thanks!

My points still stand though. 🤷
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The fact that this thread remains active when you're accusing CBCS of theft without proof speaks volumes of CBCS. Heck, you have the word stolen and CBCS in the title. If it were me, this thread would have either been immediately deleted or advised to change the tone of your content.

Funny how every internet forum since the inception of the internet has it's resident buffoon. That one guy that makes an ass of himself constantly. And why is it usually the guy with an insane, inhuman post-count? Makes sense I guess...that ridiculous post-count suggests a sad person with no life outside his little forum fantasy-land where he imagines himself to be the alpha-dog king that he can't be in real life, blasting away at people. Typical small man's complex. Well, congrats on being 'that guy'
Post 28 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Funny how every internet forum since the inception of the internet has it's resident buffoon. That one guy that makes an ass of himself constantly. And why is it usually the guy with an insane, inhuman post-count? Makes sense I guess...that ridiculous post-count suggests a sad person with no life outside his little forum fantasy-land where he imagines himself to be the alpha-dog king that he can't be in real life, blasting away at people. Typical small man's complex. Well, congrats on being 'that guy'

lol!!!!!!! ruff-ruff tough guy! 🤣
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@OatWilly It's not a post count. It's up votes doled out by his peers on the awesomeness of his posts.
Post 30 IP   flag post
619572 58 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.