Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

Small Mail Call from the Other Guys19825

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
A little over a year ago, when TATs were still incredibly long, the Other Guys had a membership special offer for $99/year with a $150 credit with your first order. So I finally purchased a paid membership (I have had a free one for almost 7 years). Since my paid membership was about to expire, I submitted 8 Vintage books (pre-1975) for grading only. All the books were previously pressed by Steve Avery Pressing. I shipped them out on 6/26 and they arrived in Sarasota on 6/29. It took a few weeks before they were actually marked as received, but they flew through the process and arrived on my doorstep this morning.

I was curious to see how their grades would compare with my estimated grades, and also wondered if it would appear to me if they were grading either harsher or easier than my grading experiences with CBCS. So anyway, I will post the scans of each of the books and talk about the grades (by the way, I ended up purchasing the Standard Edition of VueScan, which I am happy to also report, makes using my ancient HP Scanjet 8300 a whole lot easier).
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 30 - I purchased this from MCS as a 5.0 about a year and a half ago, so I paid too much for it. It definitely has spine stress and I estimated a 5.0/6.0 grade.

Post 2 IP   flag post
ASM 38 - I purchased this from an eBay seller in England during the comic boom (so I really paid too much for it). I also estimated it for a 5.0/6.0 grade.

Post 3 IP   flag post
ASM 49 - I picked this up at a convention a few years ago and I estimated a 6.0/7.0 grade.

Post 4 IP   flag post
ASM 54 - I picked this up at the same convention as #54 a few years ago and I estimated a 7.0/8.0 grade.

Post 5 IP   flag post
ASM 69 - I have owned this book for over 40 years and I estimated an 8.0/9.0 grade.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Detective Comics #400 - I picked this up when it was new and read the heck out of it. I estimated a 4.0/5.0 grade.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Detective Comics #405 - I picked this up when it was new and took better care of it. I estimated a 7.0/8.0 grade.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Hulk Annual #1 - I picked this up at a convention 3 or 4 years ago and was thinking about having it signed by Jim Steranko, but I haven't seen his name appear lately on either the RI or CT conventions that I sometimes attend. I estimated a 6.0/7.0 grade.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like you did the same or better than your own guesses. It’s nice when your own grades aren’t affected by rose colored glasses.
Post 10 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet books!!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Overall, I am quite pleased with the results. Based on my last few CBCS submissions versus this one, I would say that it appears that CBCS has been tending to be on the lower end of my estimates more often than not, while CGC seemed to be on the higher end for these books. Obviously, you can't judge based on just a few books anyway. I also wanted to mention something that I saw on another post earlier this week or last. If you check the Grader's Notes by typing in the Certification Number on the CGC website, you can see the notes and a front and back cover scan/picture of each book. I did not pay extra for a scanned image of any of these books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
How do I know this? Because I've done it myself. lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome books! And yeah, definitely nice when the grades come back at the same range or higher, congrats!
Post 13 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
When someone is really naughty they usually just crave a good spanking...

Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Detective Comics #405 - I picked this up when it was new and took better care of it. I estimated a 7.0/8.0 grade.

Love this book. I have a 9.2. I never could get higher when I had surplus of cash.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
super nice books Ed!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books. BTW, The Kingpin smokes a big ass cigarette! That holder is almost as long as Spider-man's arm.
Post 17 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
the Other Guys had a membership special offer for $99/year with a $150 credit with your first order.

I did the same. Can't beat $150 credit for $99.
Nice books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigur_Ros
Quote:
the Other Guys had a membership special offer for $99/year with a $150 credit with your first order.

I did the same. Can't beat $150 credit for $99.
Nice books.

$51 make u HOLLA

Post 19 IP   flag post
615425 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?