Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating / cooking part 419809

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Par cook the potatoes first, then cool them fully (fridge temp). Then fry.

This avoids burning them while also achieving a) fully cooked potatoes that aren’t dried out and b) crispy skin.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad intrigued on the Japanese cuke salad, we are always looking for other ways to fix cucumbers
Post 77 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I’d have to do dill. I can’t stand sweet/ bread n butter.

We agree on something.

100%!!
My counter fermented pickles are always dill and garlic!!!
Post 78 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
honey garlic pork tenderloin.

Post 79 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
honey garlic pork tenderloin.

Nice! I’ll have to remember that angle.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Made some hot sauce today. It’s a bit thicker than sauce, more like a thin salsa.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Damn, I want one. My peppers aren’t producing like my cucumbers and tomatoes right now. I had some trees removed so maybe the extra sun will help next year.
Post 82 IP   flag post
To whom it may concern....... My index card says "Asian" cucumbers but I always kind of figured them to be "Japanese". What do I know though, I'm white.

-2 to 3 cucumbers of your choosing. Peeled and sliced. We love the Suyo long which happens to be a Japanese cuke. We also grow the burpless or English cukes but they aren't as great.
-3 peppers sliced like you did the cukes, thin. 2 banana peppers and one with a bit more zaz if you do 3 cukes.
-thin sliced onion of your choosing. I like the red ones because it's fancy pants. I slice them and cut them in quarter slices.

Put all that mess in a storage container and salt and stir it over night. We put black pepper in there as well and add more salt after it's stirred later. The next day drain all that water out so the ingredients don't get all washed out.

add this the next day

-1 tsp sesame seeds
-1 tsp honey
- quarter cup rice wine vinegar. (the garlic one is tits)
-3 to 5 drops of sesame oil
-quarter tsp red pepper flakes.

This is my favorite garden experience every year. Ive been eating these for 6 weeks now and it looks like only 2 left. I hope someone enjoys!
Post 83 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
To whom it may concern....... My index card says "Asian" cucumbers but I always kind of figured them to be "Japanese". What do I know though, I'm white.

-2 to 3 cucumbers of your choosing. Peeled and sliced. We love the Suyo long which happens to be a Japanese cuke. We also grow the burpless or English cukes but they aren't as great.
-3 peppers sliced like you did the cukes, thin. 2 banana peppers and one with a bit more zaz if you do 3 cukes.
-thin sliced onion of your choosing. I like the red ones because it's fancy pants. I slice them and cut them in quarter slices.

Put all that mess in a storage container and salt and stir it over night. We put black pepper in there as well and add more salt after it's stirred later. The next day drain all that water out so the ingredients don't get all washed out.

add this the next day

-1 tsp sesame seeds
-1 tsp honey
- quarter cup rice wine vinegar. (the garlic one is tits)
-3 to 5 drops of sesame oil
-quarter tsp red pepper flakes.

This is my favorite garden experience every year. Ive been eating these for 6 weeks now and it looks like only 2 left. I hope someone enjoys!

Definitely will be trying this, thank you sir
Post 84 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Instant Pot Chili Verde experiment. Medallion size pieces of Pork Butt on high heat for 50 minutes with these 3 ingredients in the Instant Pot:

I thought the flavor was a little light initially but after refrigeration it seasoned nicely and got strong positive reviews.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:

It's fine as long as you don't call them "Oriental". Because that would make you like 80 years old.
Post 86 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

Why?

I thought Asian references proper nouns where as oriental was common nouns?
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@EbayMafia

Why?

I thought Asian references proper nouns where as oriental was common nouns?

@Bronte I don't know. I just know it gets awkward whenever some old white person says "Oriental" at the golf course. You are probably right though.
Post 88 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I can see your point. Old people have a very relaxed view of stereotypes and how the words they choose can be offensive but be oblivious to it.

But I was actually thinking of something my sister told me and I typed it down wrong initially.

She mentioned Asian refers to people. Vs oriental refers to objects. No idea if she is right or wrong, but she is one of those smarty pants folks. She was accepted to Harvard for her masters and decided against it.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
She mentioned Asian refers to people. Vs oriental refers to objects.

Interesting, I bet she is correct. Just did a little digging and also learned the word "orient" comes from the sunrise, which is in the East. So, I guess when you "orient" yourself directionally, you figure out where the sun rose and then you know east from west.

The term "Orient" derives from the Latin word oriens meaning "east" (lit. "rising" < orior " rise". The use of the word for "rising" to refer to the east (where the sun rises)
Post 90 IP   flag post
Costco cornbread.

Prolly not as wholesome as dr Watson's recipe, but my brother barely cooks / bakes right now and this is best I can do till he gets outta his funk.

Post 91 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yet another muffin dive. Banana orange.

Post 92 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 93 IP   flag post
Unless you like your barbecue sauce Willy Wonka sweet, do not buy this product.

Post 94 IP   flag post
@esaravo I gave you three ✔️ for being brave because there isn't anything on those two plates I would care to eat.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Collector IowaDad81 private msg quote post Address this user
Today is my birthday, so I picked dinner: smoked a tri-tip and a pork loin roast over pecan wood; sides are loaded baked potato and Brussels sprouts; washing everything down with Cuba Libre' made with black rum.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Unless you like your barbecue sauce Willy Wonka sweet, do not buy this product.

I gave you three checks because I couldn’t agree with you more. I tried this before I got my smoker and it’s hot trash!
Post 97 IP   flag post
A cooling cheesecake.

Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDad81
Today is my birthday, so I picked dinner: smoked a tri-tip and a pork loin roast over pecan wood; sides are loaded baked potato and Brussels sprouts; washing everything down with Cuba Libre' made with black rum.

Happy late birthday!
Post 99 IP   flag post
Finished blueberry cheesecake.

Post 100 IP   flag post
You guys’ pepper hauls are way better than mine. I did pick another small haul today though. I’ll just keep saving them up and get them off the plants.

Post 101 IP   flag post
Also, if canning isn’t efficient and is a pain in the bum for you, like it is me, I have a hack.

For the past four years we have done a freezing method for canned tomatoes.

Post 102 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user

Skillet chicken pot pie
Post 103 IP   flag post

Had to share the cake my wife made for our nieces bday
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also, if canning isn’t efficient and is a pain in the bum for you, like it is me, I have a hack.

For the past four years we have done a freezing method for canned tomatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton

Skillet chicken pot pie

Bob's your uncle!
Post 105 IP   flag post
615415 999 30