Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Archie #1 - CGC graded it 1.0, thoughts?19802

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@writerwill CGC is good too. Many will tell you CGC is the best. I like cgc...I have lots of cgc books.....most of my collection is in cbcs slabs though. cgc had about a 15 year head start over cbcs so most books that have already been slabbed are in cgc holders.

Grade screen is a way to go as well but you're continuing to put money into the book (which if money is no object then that doesn't really matter). I think the smart thing is to go with the consensus in this thread but ofcourse the decision is yours.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwill
@GAC Oh wow! See, I thought that CGC was the best.
And thank you for your kind words!
I did reach out to CBCS, and a sales rep said they could offer a pre-screen of 1.8.
I asked him what that means... I'm debating whether to send on this condition, or leave as is in my CGC case.
CGC holds a market premium. It's possible you would make more money as a 1.0 CGC with cover appeal than you would a 1.8 CBCS. Plus someone in the market for an Archie 1 is buying the book and not the slab regardless of the grading company.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector writerwill private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you both, @GAC and @drmccoy74! I really appreciate your suggestions and feedback.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thank you both, @GAC and @drmccoy74! I really appreciate your suggestions and feedback.
besides that book is worth a minimum of 12K in your hands now. Your risking further damage and further risk sending it around. Enjoy the book and when your ready to sell make sure your insured
Post 29 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do you think it is worth getting graded at CBCS in hopes of a better grade than 1.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum-

You can't ask this question on the CGC forum (boards).
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Do you think it is worth getting graded at CBCS in hopes of a better grade than 1.0?

Quote:
You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum-

You can't ask this question on the CGC forum (boards).

If you refer to CBCS as “Voldemort”, you can ask that question.
Post 31 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Voldermort. That is so grown up and mature.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Voldermort. That is so grown up and mature.

No argument there, it’s a ridiculous rule.

CGC doesn’t want discussion of the only other comic grading company that competes with CGC.

You would have to crop out the label of the CBCS slab, to post pictures of the slab for feedback.

Even than, a CGC mod may be reactionary enough to delete the post/thread.

Personally, I think mods on both boards tend to be somewhat overzealous on certain topics.

Especially pressing technique discussion.

Discussion of Heat Overlay Press and Blue Light treatments are the kiss of death on both boards, unfortunately.
Post 33 IP   flag post
In the end it's a business Bro and the Mods have to do their job. You know the deal.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Both @DrWatson and @GAC have stated that CBCS grading is more accurate (rather than tighter, as I proposed)

Funny enough, their statements actually support getting the book regraded by CBCS because the OP, @writerwill, feels that the book was inaccurately under graded.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The OP may think the book is inaccurately graded....I don't. I think the book is a 1.0 which is why I suggested he keep it in the cgc slab.

PS. While I do believe cbcs is the more accurate grading company compared to cgc.....this does not mean I think cgc is wrong 100% of the time. Cgc's grade accuracy rate is probably pretty high....I just think cbcs's is higher.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@GAC I agree. I think the cgc's train of thought would be that they draw more bees with honey. Higher grades equal more submissions.

My question would be, "Who wants to pay more for an over-graded book?" I'm not saying that all their books are over-graded, but I feel I have to look at them closely before making a purchase.
Post 37 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@writerwill Brittle Pages is a grade killer and unfortunately the factor in the low grade of your book. While you're certainly welcome to do what you want, you're not likely to get a grade higher than the 1.0 due to the brittle pages.

If it were me, I'd keep it in the slab it's in. My grandmother used to say, "don't throw good money after bad."
I offer that pearl of wisdom in this situation. Which is odd because my grandmother's name was Pearl.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Right....In my opinion, CGC has a more traditional corporate mindset...bees & honey like you said where CBCS, while still very much a corporation, still has traces of a hobby-friendly mindset.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC I agree. I think the cgc's train of thought would be that they draw more bees with honey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@DrWatson ...bees & honey like you said...

The proverb is actually “you catch more flies with honey...”, not bees. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:
@GAC I agree. I think the cgc's train of thought would be that they draw more bees with honey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The proverb is actually “you catch more flies with honey...”, not bees. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is eh? Well I'm very prouda you.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Thanks, all. I am still debating whether to just keep in the CGC slab, or submit to CBCS. I will sleep on it
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

It is eh? Well I'm very prouda you.

Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I know what it is. I prefer bees over flies. Flies typically land on shit. Bees are a bit more dignified.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks, all. I am still debating whether to just keep in the CGC slab, or submit to CBCS. I will sleep on it

This person has worked at CBCS since its inception. He has been a grader and is now the head paper mechanic, i.e. presser. I'm not telling you what to do by any means, but his advice on the the subject might just be the best you'll get on any forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@writerwill Brittle Pages is a grade killer and unfortunately the factor in the low grade of your book. While you're certainly welcome to do what you want, you're not likely to get a grade higher than the 1.0 due to the brittle pages.

If it were me, I'd keep it in the slab it's in. My grandmother used to say, "don't throw good money after bad."
I offer that pearl of wisdom in this situation. Which is odd because my grandmother's name was Pearl.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

I know what it is. I prefer bees over flies. Flies typically land on shit. Bees are a bit more dignified.

Okay. Not sure if I believe that you knew it was wrong and used it anyway. But it’s a very common misinterpretation of the saying.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Brittleness chipping interior
Brittleness splitting interior
Staple weak
Moderate creasing to cover
Moderate staining to cover
Moderate tears to cover
Multiple piece out interior does not affect story

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperSchaefer
The last one would be my best guess

I agree, would think that multiple missing pieces would drive the grade down more than brittle pages.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Flies. Bees. Whatever.

All I have left to say on the subject is that if Angelo asked me to ship books to Canada, I'd do it.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Flies. Bees. Whatever.

All I have left to say on the subject is that if Angelo asked me to ship books to Canada, I'd do it.

You’re a good man, Watson. I wouldn’t even ship books to Canada.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
As others have said....It's a great book you've got there. CBCS does tend to grade a little more accurately so I'd keep it in the cgc case because even though it remained a 1.0 it's a better 1.0 after the work that was done and that will fetch you a premium over other competing Archie 1.0's.

Brittle pages are brutal on grades. The more pronounced and widespread the brittle pages are, the harder the hit to the grade.

Welcome to the forums.

@GAC and Forum Folks - When did CGC start appropriately accounting for brittleness in grading? Historically, they had not. I've been hammering CGC on this for many years, see this ancient market report. And this one. Here I go into detail about how CBCS went a long way to help further define low-end grading when they introduced INC 0.3 and INC 0.1 grades (bravo!), although it's still not defined well enough (long story for another day). CGC will follow at some point, they really have to. If, for anything below 0.5, you don't assign a numeric value, you are leaving out extremely valuable information for both buyers and sellers. Anybody can tap out and just say "No Grade". That's not what I'm paying for when I send a book in.

In hindsight, as I scan those old reports, maybe I was hard on CGC, given how nice some of those brittle books appear otherwise. I'm really curious what some of the group here thinks - should there be a grade cap on brittle books? If so, what do you think it should be? IMO it's a valuable sign of personal growth when you can look back at something you were adamant about, and say "wow was I wrong about that!". My feeling has always been that comic books begin decomposing the day they are printed, and brittle books have way more than one foot in the grave.

@writerwill - Any blue label Archie #1 is just a monster of a book, congrats. You got great advice from this group, no surprise, good people.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
@TommyJasmin I personally am fine with Brittle Pages only being a page designation and not affecting the overall Grade (in a vacuum). But with Brittle Pages comes chipping, so there’s sort-of a Catch-22 there because I would expect to see some pieces missing from the edges and corners of pages driving the grade down.

If I bought a slabbed book with Brittle Pages I personally would be scared to re-slab it because I am just imagining the seal to the inner well being broken and everything immediately disintegrating into dust. Very limited Golden Age for me…
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you for your insight! So do you think it's not at all possible to get higher than a 1 .0?

Neither company graded tighter or more consistently than the other.

You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum- just as the replies you are getting on this (CBCS) forum favor CBCS.

That said, I’d say that CGC graded books tend to outperform CBCS graded books so even if you were to get a slightly higher grade from CBCS, it’d be a wash at best.

This
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperSchaefer
@TommyJasmin I personally am fine with Brittle Pages only being a page designation and not affecting the overall Grade (in a vacuum). But with Brittle Pages comes chipping, so there’s sort-of a Catch-22 there because I would expect to see some pieces missing from the edges and corners of pages driving the grade down.

If I bought a slabbed book with Brittle Pages I personally would be scared to re-slab it because I am just imagining the seal to the inner well being broken and everything immediately disintegrating into dust. Very limited Golden Age for me…

@HooperSchaefer - thx for the insight. I have seen slabbed brittle books with chips and debris loose inside the slab, so I get that. It sounds like you are saying "no grade knockdown for brittle pages" but only if the book is securely slabbed? Interesting. I've just always been in the camp that says page quality should be considered a defect with some effect on grade once a severity threshold is passed.

In other words, I would not lower a grade for "off-white" pages. For "tan" pages, IMO if the book is very high grade, it should lower the grade some. If the book is otherwise very low grade, no effect.

I've got this really brittle old issue of Fight Comics around somewhere, and once in awhile me and my friends pull it out and notice how much more crud accumulates at the bottom of the bag, just from handling it a little. We joke about (but honestly, consider) sending it in to see how, say, CBCS would handle it? Would they pour those chips from the bottom of the bag into the well, to include the "entire submission" ?
Post 53 IP   flag post
@TommyJasmin Further regarding brittle pages designation. The entire book does not need to be brittle to get this designation. A small portion of the book might be brittle and the rest not be brittle but the book will get the brittle designation.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Thank you, all. I guess I will hold onto it for now as a 1.0. At least it has great eye appeal!
Post 55 IP   flag post
619263 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?