Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Archie #1 - CGC graded it 1.0, thoughts?19802

Collector writerwill private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all - I bought this Archie #1, originally graded a 1.0 by CGC, last year and had the cover cleaned up by a professional who then submitted on my behalf to CGC for a re-grade. They kept it at a 1.0.
I've seen numerous Archie #1's with the cover detached, etc with CGC grades of 2/3.0. Mine has brittle pages, but it's completely attached and the cover is now bright and looks great.

Do you think it is worth getting graded at CBCS in hopes of a better grade than 1.0?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
No. CBCS is known to grade tighter than CGC.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Oh wow. I thought it was the other way around!
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's the brittle pages that's hampering your grade. At least it's prettier to look at in the holder.

Both grading companies can vary in their grading. CBCS tends to be less erratic in their fluctuations compared to the cgc. Instead of calling CBCS tighter graders, I might call them more accurate. At least that is my opinion.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you for your insight! So do you think it's not at all possible to get higher than a 1 .0?
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
That's a nice book @writerwill. If your selling it I would leave it alone. It might be a 1.0 but it will sell at a premium the way it presents.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you, @drmccoy74. I think I'll just leave it be then
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@writerwill I wouldn't risk it especially with the brittle pages. Removing the book, grading it and reslabbing could damage it further.

It's a really nice looking 1.0. I'd just keep it and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you very much, @DWEEB1967!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with the consensus…leave it be. Nice one to have too. 👍🙂
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you @galen130
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
I’m in full agreement with everyone above, but just out of curiosity…

Since it was recently graded, may we know the grader’s notes via the QR code on the back?
If it’s not the brittle pages exclusively, it might be something else in the interior that is keeping the grade down.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Absolutely, here are the grader's notes, @hooperschaefer

Brittleness chipping interior
Brittleness splitting interior
Staple weak
Moderate creasing to cover
Moderate staining to cover
Moderate tears to cover
Multiple piece out interior does not affect story
Post 13 IP   flag post
The last one would be my best guess
Post 14 IP   flag post
I gotcha. It's just crazy to me that my copy, which has curb appeal, grades so much lower than 3.0 copy I saw on eBay with the cover detached.
Post 15 IP   flag post
This is MyComicShop’s grading scale, not CGC’s, but I like that they give a handful of examples of flaws that would qualify. They mention non-story cutouts. I included the sections before and after for more context.

The other forum members aren’t wrong. Eye appeal of the cover is everything to many collectors of books this old. If your intention is to sell, you may actually be able to get a higher price than a 1.0 if the 1.5, 2.0, etc. examples around it “show” poorly.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks for this, @hooperschaefer! It's curious that it says a 1.0 has "low eye appeal and display major damage." I don't believe my copy is like this or warrants a 1.0 because of this. But who knows, I am no expert!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwill
Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you for your insight! So do you think it's not at all possible to get higher than a 1 .0?

Neither company graded tighter or more consistently than the other.

You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum- just as the replies you are getting on this (CBCS) forum favor CBCS.

That said, I’d say that CGC graded books tend to outperform CBCS graded books so even if you were to get a slightly higher grade from CBCS, it’d be a wash at best.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I just had a funny thought:

If you REALLY wanted to move it to CBCS, you could potentially get the infamous checkmark next to the numerical grade that designates that the cover shows better than the grade dictates.
Other forum members will know better than me if CBCS still does this. But it would likely still be a 1.0
I’m with everyone else, leave as-is.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@hooperschaefer I am new here, so I don't even know what that means! But I will likely just leave it. I just, to my core, believe it should be a 1.5/1.8-2. LOL
Post 20 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I gotcha. It's just crazy to me that my copy, which has curb appeal, grades so much lower than 3.0 copy I saw on eBay with the cover detached.

You have to remember that it is the entire book that is graded as a whole. It's not just the cover that is graded. While I know nothing about the copy you saw on eBay, I'm betting that your copy has more defects in the interior than the eBay book does.
Post 21 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
As others have said....It's a great book you've got there. CBCS does tend to grade a little more accurately so I'd keep it in the cgc case because even though it remained a 1.0 it's a better 1.0 after the work that was done and that will fetch you a premium over other competing Archie 1.0's.

Brittle pages are brutal on grades. The more pronounced and widespread the brittle pages are, the harder the hit to the grade.

Welcome to the forums.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thank you, @GAC! So to confirm, do you think it is worth sending my copy to CBCS in my CGC 1.0 slab for a possible regrading?
Post 23 IP   flag post
@writerwill No, I would keep it in the cgc case. It's unlikely you'd get a grade bump. Personally, I prefer cbcs to cgc for many reasons including more accurate grading and the cbcs holder is the best on the market by miles. All this said though, keep it in the cgc case. You'll still get a premium on your 1.0 because it's a great looking 1.0. Also, that's a pricey book and it wont be cheap to have cbcs re-grade and slab the book. Awesome book there!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@GAC Oh wow! See, I thought that CGC was the best.
And thank you for your kind words!
I did reach out to CBCS, and a sales rep said they could offer a pre-screen of 1.8.
I asked him what that means... I'm debating whether to send on this condition, or leave as is in my CGC case.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@writerwill CGC is good too. Many will tell you CGC is the best. I like cgc...I have lots of cgc books.....most of my collection is in cbcs slabs though. cgc had about a 15 year head start over cbcs so most books that have already been slabbed are in cgc holders.

Grade screen is a way to go as well but you're continuing to put money into the book (which if money is no object then that doesn't really matter). I think the smart thing is to go with the consensus in this thread but ofcourse the decision is yours.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@GAC Oh wow! See, I thought that CGC was the best.
And thank you for your kind words!
I did reach out to CBCS, and a sales rep said they could offer a pre-screen of 1.8.
I asked him what that means... I'm debating whether to send on this condition, or leave as is in my CGC case.
CGC holds a market premium. It's possible you would make more money as a 1.0 CGC with cover appeal than you would a 1.8 CBCS. Plus someone in the market for an Archie 1 is buying the book and not the slab regardless of the grading company.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thank you both, @GAC and @drmccoy74! I really appreciate your suggestions and feedback.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thank you both, @GAC and @drmccoy74! I really appreciate your suggestions and feedback.
besides that book is worth a minimum of 12K in your hands now. Your risking further damage and further risk sending it around. Enjoy the book and when your ready to sell make sure your insured
Post 29 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Do you think it is worth getting graded at CBCS in hopes of a better grade than 1.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum-

You can't ask this question on the CGC forum (boards).
Post 30 IP   flag post
615414 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?