Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Archie #1 - CGC graded it 1.0, thoughts?19802

Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
@TommyJasmin I personally am fine with Brittle Pages only being a page designation and not affecting the overall Grade (in a vacuum). But with Brittle Pages comes chipping, so there’s sort-of a Catch-22 there because I would expect to see some pieces missing from the edges and corners of pages driving the grade down.

If I bought a slabbed book with Brittle Pages I personally would be scared to re-slab it because I am just imagining the seal to the inner well being broken and everything immediately disintegrating into dust. Very limited Golden Age for me…
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwill
Ah, ok that makes sense. Thank you for your insight! So do you think it's not at all possible to get higher than a 1 .0?

Neither company graded tighter or more consistently than the other.

You’d get “CGC grades tighter than CBCS” if you asked this question on CGC’s forum- just as the replies you are getting on this (CBCS) forum favor CBCS.

That said, I’d say that CGC graded books tend to outperform CBCS graded books so even if you were to get a slightly higher grade from CBCS, it’d be a wash at best.

This
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperSchaefer
@TommyJasmin I personally am fine with Brittle Pages only being a page designation and not affecting the overall Grade (in a vacuum). But with Brittle Pages comes chipping, so there’s sort-of a Catch-22 there because I would expect to see some pieces missing from the edges and corners of pages driving the grade down.

If I bought a slabbed book with Brittle Pages I personally would be scared to re-slab it because I am just imagining the seal to the inner well being broken and everything immediately disintegrating into dust. Very limited Golden Age for me…

@HooperSchaefer - thx for the insight. I have seen slabbed brittle books with chips and debris loose inside the slab, so I get that. It sounds like you are saying "no grade knockdown for brittle pages" but only if the book is securely slabbed? Interesting. I've just always been in the camp that says page quality should be considered a defect with some effect on grade once a severity threshold is passed.

In other words, I would not lower a grade for "off-white" pages. For "tan" pages, IMO if the book is very high grade, it should lower the grade some. If the book is otherwise very low grade, no effect.

I've got this really brittle old issue of Fight Comics around somewhere, and once in awhile me and my friends pull it out and notice how much more crud accumulates at the bottom of the bag, just from handling it a little. We joke about (but honestly, consider) sending it in to see how, say, CBCS would handle it? Would they pour those chips from the bottom of the bag into the well, to include the "entire submission" ?
Post 53 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@TommyJasmin Further regarding brittle pages designation. The entire book does not need to be brittle to get this designation. A small portion of the book might be brittle and the rest not be brittle but the book will get the brittle designation.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector writerwill private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you, all. I guess I will hold onto it for now as a 1.0. At least it has great eye appeal!
Post 55 IP   flag post

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If you refer to CBCS as “Voldemort”, you can ask that question.

You can actually ask it regardless. CGC hasn't removed posts that use "CBCS" for years now. You cannot link to or advertise for CBCS, that's all. This has been discussed here before.
Post 56 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

You can actually ask it regardless. CGC hasn't removed posts that use "CBCS" for years now. You cannot link to or advertise for CBCS, that's all. This has been discussed here before.
Yes they do. I posted my Action Comics 29 CBCS graded in one of the posts and got spanked by CGC Mike I think it was
Post 57 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, you can't post CBCS slabs on the CGC forums, like you can't post PGX slabs here on the CBCS forum
Post 58 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Yeah, you can't post CBCS slabs on the CGC forums, like you can't post PGX slabs here on the CBCS forum
Yup. Its Business. Waiting for all inclusive comic book addicts forum to kick off and I'm in.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Quote:
Yup. Its Business. Waiting for all inclusive comic book addicts forum to kick off and I'm in.

It's understandable as a business why they don't want competition posted.

I tend to post whatever in the Facebook groups, even posting books promoting a shop that the Facebook group owner banned because of competition.
Post 60 IP   flag post
As for OP.

Keep your Archie in the slab and be happy to own it.
Don't remove it or play with it any further. There's always a chance it gets damaged, now that may not change the grade but why risk it.
Post 61 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
It’s a rare enough book that the grade is less important than its existence / preservation.

It looks like a fairly graded 1.0, across any standard criteria.

What is the intent?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

What about Halo slabs?
Post 63 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:

What about Halo slabs?

You can only share CBCS, CGC slabs or raw comics here.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I know. I think @southerncross will get the reference
Post 65 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:

Yes they do. I posted my Action Comics 29 CBCS graded in one of the posts and got spanked by CGC Mike I think it was

Not being able to post CBCS slabs is not the same as being able to post "CBCS"...
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector writerwill private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have the latest Overstreet price guide info (2023) for Archie#1?
Post 67 IP   flag post
I don't have the new overstreet yet but this is the current GPA

Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The proverb is actually “you catch more flies with honey...”, not bees. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️

As it turns out, you can catch the most flies with dead squirrels.
Post 69 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
The proverb is actually “you catch more flies with honey...”, not bees. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️

As it turns out, you can catch the most flies with dead squirrels.

Leftover wet cat food works good as well.
Post 70 IP   flag post
611385 70 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?