Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Modern AgeFor SaleSignatures

Value Estimate on Darwyn Cooke Signed Book19800

I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
I just got my shipment back from CBCS after taking advantage of the signature verification sale, and one of the books I got back is "DC: The New Frontier" #1 signed by Darwyn Cooke which came back a 9.8

As you know, Darwyn is no longer with us, so he will never be signing anything again. What I found interesting is that I know he signed a LOT of comics, but looking at both CBCS and CGC stats, he didn't sign very many witnessed books. There's only SIX witnessed books in 9.8 at CGC, only TWO in 9.8 at CBCS. (only 14 books have been graded 9.8 at CGC, and only two at CBCS)

I am curious as to what the value of this book would be? (Full disclosure, I'm looking to sell) I've been hunting all over online, but can't find anything. I see one ebay auction is asking $280 for an unsigned CGC 9.6 copy, so I am wondering what a signed 9.8 would go for?

p.s. I also got back Catwoman #1 signed by Darwyn in a 9.4, and SOLO #5 signed by Darwyn also in 9.4, so any help on those books would also be appreciated
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
I can give some more context later when I am at home, but just quickly:

There was a recent eBay sale of Catwoman #1 CGC 9.8 SS Darwyn Cooke that I was following. It sold at auction for $227.50 after being a Buy It Now listing for a handful of months at $350. Of course that was a CGC witnessed.

My only advice right now is if you choose to run them as auctions, don’t run all three at the same time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
I just got my shipment back from CBCS after taking advantage of the signature verification sale, and one of the books I got back is "DC: The New Frontier" #1 signed by Darwyn Cooke which came back a 9.8

As you know, Darwyn is no longer with us, so he will never be signing anything again. What I found interesting is that I know he signed a LOT of comics, but looking at both CBCS and CGC stats, he didn't sign very many witnessed books. There's only SIX witnessed books in 9.8 at CGC, only TWO in 9.8 at CBCS. (only 14 books have been graded 9.8 at CGC, and only two at CBCS)

I am curious as to what the value of this book would be? (Full disclosure, I'm looking to sell) I've been hunting all over online, but can't find anything. I see one ebay auction is asking $280 for an unsigned CGC 9.6 copy, so I am wondering what a signed 9.8 would go for?

p.s. I also got back Catwoman #1 signed by Darwyn in a 9.4, and SOLO #5 signed by Darwyn also in 9.4, so any help on those books would also be appreciated

NF 1 is a hot book due to it apparently being the basis of the upcoming James Gunn DC movie.

Cooke may not have signed a lot of CGC SS slabs or CBCS AWP slabs but he’s not a big name and the people who buy movie hot books would pay higher prices for cast signed books ie Chris Pratt or other bigger star names that are going to be in the movie.

Not Cooke.

You can get a bit of a bump for the NF 1 9.8 Cooke because it’s a 9.8 and it’s signed by Cooke.

Only other slabbed copy on eBay now is a cgc 9.6 that is priced to the moon.

I’m a month, there will likely be a slew of slabbed NF 1’s on eBay, it wasn’t a short printed book.

I think your NF 1 is probably a $250 book.

Cat woman 1 9.4 Cooke is probably a $125.

Solo 5 9.4 Cooke maybe $100

New Frontier 1 raw NM’s sell for around $15.

NM sets of 1-6 sell at around $50.

Catwoman isn’t a super hot character now and a 9.4 is generally worth 1/3 of a 9.8.

Solo 5 Cooke 9.4 would appeal to hardcore Catwoman fans and someone just put up a solo 5 cbcs verified 9.0 Cooke at $300 auction or best offer- seems ridiculous to me but that would help sell your solo 5 9.4. 🍻

I’d list them all now individually via BIN /BO, have auto declines at 90% under your BO price.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector HooperSchaefer private msg quote post Address this user
I think ComicHoarder gave some good advice & numbers.
I would piggyback that Cooke signed books currently have a limited market. He’s one of my favorites—and you’re right, there won’t be any more signed copies—so I don’t get it, but it is what it is.
However, you do have three quintessential Cooke floppies where he’s responsible for cover & interior art (with “Batman: Ego” probably being the title that would round out the set), so collectors of his signature will be interested in what you have.
I’m in agreement that I don’t think the currently listed Solo #5 9.0 VSP or DC: New Frontier #1 9.6 will sell at their current prices.
But I’m not as bullish on the money prospects of DC: New Frontier in terms of being tied to movie projects. Of course, if it does start to take off due to scarcity of graded copies, SELL SELL SELL!

Good luck!
Post 4 IP   flag post
616095 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?