Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

Sending CGC to CBCS19764

Collector SpiderStrange99 private msg quote post Address this user
I recently came into this book and as you can see it is graded as a 9.0 from CGC. I have been thinking about submitting it into CBCS and getting it pressed/cleaned. It has minor issues but some stains? on the back. Could it drop in grade due to the staining or possibly go up (or stay the same) after they press/clean it? Is it even worth it to submit it? New here so any perspective is greatly appreciated.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mess with it. 9.2 and 9.0 often have similar value. Seems to me it wouldn't be a good risk-reward ratio.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
Leave it; like @EbayMafia said: your risk-reward ratio here is not positive.

That stain on it probably caps it at 9.2; 9.4 if the grader is drunk.
Post 3 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
DC Comics Presents #47

There's no guarantee on the grade you get from CBCS.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Never crack a high(-ish) grade stain.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderStrange99 Welcome to the forum!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
if you submit this book to CBCS I am sure you will be dissapointed in the outcome. If you do submit please let us know the grade if you do
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i would leave it as is
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderStrange99 Welcome to the board!

Though definitive answers are sometimes hard to make with a photo, I don't think this copy is worth the risk if you're looking to get a higher grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector drcyclops private msg quote post Address this user
Stains are difficult to remove. Cleaning may help with pencil marks and dirt. Hang with what you have.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
cbcs are more picky and will pick things up. you could get a 9.0...might get a 8.0 even with pressing

leave as is.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Purchase a raw book that you can see is likely a higher grade (not terribly hard to do despite what "experts" want you to believe).

Grade it. Get the (likely) higher grade. And sell this 9.0

It remains a mystery to me how a reasonably experienced hobbyist can't determine grades if one is involved with graded books; but chooses to get stuck with paying a graded premium for the work someone else did with a raw book that you could do now. There's certainly no shortage of high grade candidates for this DC Presents 47
Post 12 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Even if you get a 9.2 from CBCS, it will still be worth less than the CGC 9.0. You will just waste your money and time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Thomas8683 private msg quote post Address this user
I would leave the book as a CGC 9.0. If the book didn't have a stain, I would say crack it. Grading companies normally hit hard for staining. I have a DD10-second echo graded an 8.0. CBCS notes said there was light staining on the back of the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8683
I would leave the book as a CGC 9.0. If the book didn't have a stain, I would say crack it. Grading companies normally hit hard for staining. I have a DD10-second echo graded an 8.0. CBCS notes said there was light staining on the back of the book.

yeah have a 9.2 amazing spider-man #365. one of grader notes was a stain (few stain dots in logo). one or two of my last submission had "stain" notes
Post 15 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Even if you get a 9.2 from CBCS, it will still be worth less than the CGC 9.0. You will just waste your money and time.

Ironically... Making it about money and not the hobby is a bigger waste of time and money.

For example, the very same 7.0 copy that CGC is reporting to be sold (at auction) for $1.62 million is the very same copy that sold (at auction) for $2,604,750 on December 16, 2021.

Same comic, different auctions, and a substantial loss for the original owner. And one of those examples where pretty much everything is a waste of time and money if the goal is all about making a profit.
Post 16 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
Quote:

Ironically... Making it about money and not the hobby is a bigger waste of time and money.

For example, the very same 7.0 copy that CGC is reporting to be sold (at auction) for $1.62 million is the very same copy that sold (at auction) for $2,604,750 on December 16, 2021.

Same comic, different auctions, and a substantial loss for the original owner. And one of those examples where pretty much everything is a waste of time and money if the goal is all about making a profit.

You're right, it isn't always about money. But money helps.

I'm sure many comic collectors or readers would buy more if they had a bigger monthly budget. Many people "buy 1 to keep, 1 to sell" (someday). Some sell unwanted titles to obtain comics more relevant to their current tastes. Money makes the hobby possible, and it certainly can swing both ways.

Just ask the guy who lost the $1M on that Superman. Ouch.
Post 17 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You're right, it isn't always about money. But money helps.

I'm sure many comic collectors or readers would buy more if they had a bigger monthly budget. Many people "buy 1 to keep, 1 to sell" (someday). Some sell unwanted titles to obtain comics more relevant to their current tastes. Money makes the hobby possible, and it certainly can swing both ways.

Just ask the guy who lost the $1M on that Superman. Ouch.

I agree since I knew video game collectors, toy collectors, and comic book collectors who have played the "to flip" game and did it for the sake of upgrading their collections.

But there is also that one case where a collector made a point of doing an entire ASM run where the comics were simply CGC 5.5s. To the point that he will trade a guaranteed 6.0 if it means he could get a 5.5 copy for his PC.

Which is why a situation like this is where I say that taking this type of risk is only worth it if the comic is a PC... Or is one worth trading (with cash and/or comics added) for a 9.4.

But my example? Been there, lost money... But not that amount in the end.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@SpiderStrange99 Two questions, both answered.

- Is it for your long-term/permanent collection?

If yes, then do it if you like how CBCS slabs their comics. There are risks, and there are no guarantees that you will see a grade bump. But in the end, it is more about your collection than how others collect.

If no, see my response below.

- Is this for a profit flip or a trade?

If yes, then I say the risk outweighs the reward. You are better off selling or trading (with cash and/or more comics) as-is than what the outcome could be if you put more money into this.

If no, see my above response.
Post 19 IP   flag post
615415 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?