Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What Grinds Your Gears?!19739

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
My wife’s 33 year old adult kid living in our large out-building while not holding down a job. I want to throw him out soooooooo bad. 🤬🤬🤬

Does he at least collect comics or is he also lame?
Post 76 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@DrWatson

He's got it made. Mommy is protecting him. He isn't going to do squat as long as he has 1 parent siding with him. They need to be a united front before anything of consequence happens unfortunately.

I agree. Just throwing it out there. Sort of in keeping with the idea that if he's acting like a kid, treat him like one.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
if he's acting like a kid, treat him like one.

If he does the chores, he'll probably want an allowance of at least a $15/hour living wage, while overlooking the free room and board. He'll also want to be compensated by the hour for any time that he is under stress while thinking about said chores.
Post 78 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 79 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
People who pull out comic books in back issue bins then proceed to remove the tape to pull the book out of the bag and board to inspect it without asking if they can do that first.

I've never done that. Even at cons I ask can I inspect books when they hit the $100 mark and I always ask the vendor to remove the book and put it back in the bag.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross I've ruined at least 2 books I can remember (my own) with those damn adhesive backs.
I've forgotten they are that type of bag and laid the comic on the back of the bag.

Doing that with a comic from the 60's/70's is very very very very bad
Post 81 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 I did it once and once was too many. I was 18 and picked up a sweet glossy VF copy of JLA the first Black Canary very cheap as the book hadn't broken out in price yet.

At the train station to get a ride 🏡 me I took it out and looked at it. Putting it back and yep, you guessed it the sticky tape adhered to the front cover to give a nice tape pull.

Never again, no tape on any of my books at home in my collection, anyone that's gotten a secret Santa gift from me got comics in mylar snugs so no tape can ever be used.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I 2nd the no scotch tape near any comic. Think I ruined 2 total in my life. Truly grinds me.
I make piles of it stuck to the sides of boxes as I replace them all with small sticky labels, before I ever remove a comic.
Occasionally the scotch tape adheres so good it ruins the bag.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Sorry about the rant about people taking it upon themselves to open comic book bags off venders before asking permission.

This book was a 9.2 now it's a 7.5-8.0. look at the corner.

I bought its twin so it can be safely stored in my collection, will post in new acquisitions thread.

I'm just pssssssed

Post 84 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
@southerncross I kid you not when I say I think 1 of the 2 books I destroyed was the same jla book with black canaries leg on the cover.
I know I ruined it but can't remember if due to that type of bag or another reason
Post 85 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@southerncross I kid you not when I say I think 1 of the 2 books I destroyed was the same jla book with black canaries leg on the cover.
I know I ruined it but can't remember if due to that type of bag or another reason

So it was a JLA 75 from the 60s like my book?
Post 86 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:

So it was a JLA 75 from the 60s like my book?

yepper!
Post 87 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
My philosophical thought I grapple with often is when I ask myself am I disgruntled because of change and it being outside of my status quo OR does the change actually just now "stink".

Ex: I watched some band on the TODAY show the other day. I think Twice was their name? And with a semi open mind I asked myself are they musically better (however one would define better) than any of the classic bands or soloists in the last 60 years? And how? I'm still trying to answer 3 days later.
All I could come up with is they were all much more attractive than say ... Iggy Pop. They moved real well on stage too. I guess those count "musically".

Consider all the garbage music of past eras that faded into oblivion. We now selectively remember the “survivors” - the good, great and epic. We forget the garbage (or most of it).

That said, there IS more garbage put out today than ever and it IS more amplified by virtue of the power balance shift further along the spectrum towards image over substance.

But there IS ALSO tons of great music being made today. Some of it on par with the best of the past.
I think once I hit around 30 I stopped listening to anything new and stuck with my greatest hits with few exceptions
Post 88 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I still buy CDs of bands I like but rarely do I find new music that I love. I like the physical copy and the liner notes. Once I hit my early 30s, I realized why my friend's parents only listened to the classic rock station.
Post 89 IP   flag post
On a related note, it grinds my gears that my 2021 Ford Bronco Sport didn't come with a cd player.
Post 90 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My wife’s 33 year old adult kid living in our large out-building while not holding down a job. I want to throw him out soooooooo bad. 🤬🤬🤬

Remember my comment above? Well, now I have plenty of reasons to throw him off the property…I’ve told him as well. It grinds my gears that it finally came to this…momma should’ve stopped when she could. I had to call her at work and tell her. Now we’ll see what happens. This has been grinding my gears since he arrived in 2017. 🙁🙁🤬
Post 91 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
On a related note from that, I did a bunch of research “building” a Maverick on Fords website because it was affordable. I stopped at a dealer one day and it was over 10 g higher. “Market adjustment” they call it. Yeah, nope, I don’t want that tinker toy that bad.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
On a related note, it grinds my gears that my 2021 Ford Bronco Sport didn't come with a cd player.

It took me a while to figure that out on my 2014 Ram 1500.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Remember my comment above? Well, now I have plenty of reasons to throw him off the property…I’ve told him as well. It grinds my gears that it finally came to this…momma should’ve stopped when she could. I had to call her at work and tell her. Now we’ll see what happens. This has been grinding my gears since he arrived in 2017. 🙁🙁🤬

You go, er... Galen!
Post 94 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

It took me a while to figure that out on my 2014 Ram 1500.

They didn't have cd players back then? The 2021 is my first new vehicle since 2006.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I hope it goes well and you don't find yourself living in the out-builidng for the foreseable future.

Is there an age limit where you can no longer drop a kid off at the firestation?
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I still buy CDs of bands I like but rarely do I find new music that I love. I like the physical copy and the liner notes. Once I hit my early 30s, I realized why my friend's parents only listened to the classic rock station.

What do you like?
Post 97 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
On a related note from that, I did a bunch of research “building” a Maverick on Fords website because it was affordable. I stopped at a dealer one day and it was over 10 g higher. “Market adjustment” they call it. Yeah, nope, I don’t want that tinker toy that bad.

How recent was this?
Post 98 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Post 99 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

How recent was this?
Within a few months. The MSRP was right on there as well. Apparently it became a law in 2020 the msrp has to be on a new vehicle. Likely because of this.

Of course the F-150’s and Bronco’s didn’t have a market adjustment. Likely because they are sky high already. “Let’s turn the 30,000 dollar vehicle into a 40,000 dollar vehicle” was how it read to me.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Odd numbers can grind my gears. Particularly when it's an odd number of socks coming out of the dryer. Have me searching for days.
Post 101 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
What do we have here:

Post 102 IP   flag post
A four issue limited series that somehow runs 80 issues grinds my gears. 80 is not the new 4.

Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

What do you like?

Little bit of everything depending on the mood. Lately it's been a lot of Pink Floyd, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Ghost, and Danzig. Mostly 70s to early 2000s rock and metal is my thing, but I also have a fondness for country that sounds country and pop standards of Frank Sinatra.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A four issue limited series that somehow runs 80 issues grinds my gears. 80 is not the new 4.

@Studley_Dudley you're looking at it from a different perspective than those of us who were there at the time. At the time it was a good thing for those of us who bought the books off the rack. It was a sign of success and generated hope for the value of the books.
Post 105 IP   flag post
615416 368 30