Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What Grinds Your Gears?!19739

I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Coconuts
Post 26 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
When an eBay seller posts these (see link) types of pictures. What good are those? It just ensures that I will not buy anything from them.

clickable text

Why would anyone take a picture of a backing board in a Mylar?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
When an eBay seller posts these (see link) types of pictures. What good are those? It just ensures that I will not buy anything from them.

clickable text

Because they are coco Nuts!

Badump bump.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Maybe it's stuck to the back cover.
Post 29 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

clickable text

Those pictures will haunt me in my dreams!!!! Why????!!!!
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If I started to write, it'd be the length of a book.
I don't even know where to begin.

Suffice to say this hobby is not what it was; nor many of the individuals who are now involved.
Which is why I'm kinda done with it. Sorta like new music.
Everything gets slabbed now and sold off.

My gears have been grinded to the bare sheet metal
Post 31 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Automated soap dispensers with no soap.

Edit: this includes automated faucets that are not functional!
Post 32 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Also, I utilize public transportation on a regular basis to avoid the nightmares of driving and I will say the torture of witnessing your scheduled bus/train leaving just before you get to the stop is delicious. #maximumpain
Post 33 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
People who describe their slabs as freshly graded like slabs can be picked right off the vine.

Flippers/profiteers.

People who always say a life emergency came up and now they always have to sell that one book they hoped to keep forever yet happens to be the hottest book at the time. Don't buy comics if your financial situation is that dire.

The Irish.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Inadequate lubrication.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
Inadequate lubrication.

Yikes!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
Inadequate lubrication.

Yikes!

That's what she said...
Post 37 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
People who describe their slabs as freshly graded like slabs can be picked right off the vine.

Flippers/profiteers.

People who always say a life emergency came up and now they always have to sell that one book they hoped to keep forever yet happens to be the hottest book at the time. Don't buy comics if your financial situation is that dire.

The Irish.

Flanders...

I'm sure I'll think of more.

I wasn't aware I'm that annoying.
Post 38 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The fact that the following phrases are no longer popular:

"your goose is cooked"
"heavens to Betsy"
"poppycock"
"hop the fence"
Post 39 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Suffice to say this hobby is not what it was; nor many of the individuals who are now involved.
Which is why I'm kinda done with it. Sorta like new music.

This relates to a philosophical thought I've had in my head all day. Seems there is kind of a bell curve to our appreciation for change to the current status quo. When we are new to a something, a city or job or hobby, we seem to have much more appreciation for the change that is occurring. In fact, we may be active participants in that change. But the change has no stopping point. eventually it passes the high point of the bell curve and becomes a negative that disrupts our status quo. Maybe that's the point where it is best to move on...a new city, new job or new hobby. Start fresh someplace where everything is new to us and we can, for a time, appreciate both the status quo and the coming changes. I moved a year ago to a new and growing community. In general, the newcomers are much more excited about the ongoing changes than those who have been here for decades. But I imagine there was a time when the old-timers were excited about a new grocery store, restaurant or gas station.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Splotches is gettin old!
My philosophical thought I grapple with often is when I ask myself am I disgruntled because of change and it being outside of my status quo OR does the change actually just now "stink".

Ex: I watched some band on the TODAY show the other day. I think Twice was their name? And with a semi open mind I asked myself are they musically better (however one would define better) than any of the classic bands or soloists in the last 60 years? And how? I'm still trying to answer 3 days later.
All I could come up with is they were all much more attractive than say ... Iggy Pop. They moved real well on stage too. I guess those count "musically".
Post 41 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
When you watch an item on eBay and the seller finally sends an incredibly generous 1.8% lower offer to 47 watchers to make the auction more attractive. Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that.

(FYI all the numbers in this example are made up)

I know, I know, first world problems.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

"your goose is cooked"
"heavens to Betsy"
"poppycock"
"hop the fence"

I use all but the last one.
Post 43 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My philosophical thought I grapple with often is when I ask myself am I disgruntled because of change and it being outside of my status quo OR does the change actually just now "stink".

Ex: I watched some band on the TODAY show the other day. I think Twice was their name? And with a semi open mind I asked myself are they musically better (however one would define better) than any of the classic bands or soloists in the last 60 years? And how? I'm still trying to answer 3 days later.
All I could come up with is they were all much more attractive than say ... Iggy Pop. They moved real well on stage too. I guess those count "musically".

Consider all the garbage music of past eras that faded into oblivion. We now selectively remember the “survivors” - the good, great and epic. We forget the garbage (or most of it).

That said, there IS more garbage put out today than ever and it IS more amplified by virtue of the power balance shift further along the spectrum towards image over substance.

But there IS ALSO tons of great music being made today. Some of it on par with the best of the past.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
I asked myself are they musically better (however one would define better) than any of the classic bands or soloists in the last 60 years? And how? I'm still trying to answer 3 days later.

Maybe it's that the medium has expanded to more than just an audio enjoyment? When you and I were growing up there were 4 TV channels and there wasn't much of a visual component to music other than the album cover and going to a concert. I compare it to the modern variant and mail-in signing component of the comic industry. It's not for me, but it is an expansion of the industry. Doesn't necessarily crowd out my part of the industry. Although I don't understand the value others put on these things, it doesn't really reduce the value of the things that I collect. I'm kind of fascinated by that small percentage of people who can embrace and ride with change all the way through. Like the rare old-time collector who also loves modern variant covers. Or the rare old-time rocker who enjoys K-Pop.
Post 45 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Image vs substance - always a tension there. I’d argue more channels today for mass acceptance (monetization) of image, with less effort. This means the balance has shifted.

But more channels to consume too. Plenty of creative people still out creating - so quality still exists and even more paths to discover it. Just more sorting through the crap to get there.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I’m simple I guess. I accept the fact that I like what I like.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Just more sorting through the crap to get there.

I think that's the part that grinds gears.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
When your Android TV takes 38 minutes to update.

(again, mostly made up numbers... only because it was way longer than that)
Post 49 IP   flag post
When you're picking someone up at the airport and the flight gets delayed from 8 pm to 10 pm. Then from 10 pm to 12:15 am. And you won't get home until 1:30 am and you have to work the next day.
Post 50 IP   flag post
I award you no points! stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
The person at a Comic Con who is ahead of you at the line to drop off submissions. He has a dolly with plastic totes and he’s getting all of them graded. While I stand behind him trying to submit 2 books.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my best "Canadian asking American to ship to Canada" story

Like most ebay auctions based in the US, a particular US seller didn't list if he is willing to ship to Canada or not, so I reached to him and asked (95% of the time, they are willing)

The seller got back to me and said, "I don't like shipping over seas". I sent a two word reply "We're attached"

It's a running joke here in Canada that Americans are bad at geography, but this particular case had an extra "WOW" factor in that he lived in a state that BORDERED with Canada.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

"your goose is cooked"
"heavens to Betsy"
"poppycock"
"hop the fence"

I might also add one of my other favorites: Well, he tore up Jack and killed Betty.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley_1883
The person at a Comic Con who is ahead of you at the line to drop off submissions. He has a dolly with plastic totes and he’s getting all of them graded. While I stand behind him trying to submit 2 books.

Could be worse, some chatty Cathy could get the artist talking for a good ten minutes instead.
Post 54 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
When people feel the world owes them something.
Post 55 IP   flag post
615416 368 30