Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededSignatures

New Mutants 98 Newsstand Pen marks on the back cover19728

Collector CraigAnEm private msg quote post Address this user

Hello everyone, really need some helpful advice. I just acquired this copy of NM 98 newsstand edition with Fabian Nicieza signature on page 1 and as you can see someone did some doodling on the back of the book and I was thinking of sending it to CBCS for a signature verification grade. Question 1 ( How much will it hit the grade? Question 2 ( Can it be removed? Without the markings, It’s a really nice copy NM. Thanks I’m advanced for your help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
Are they Fabian's doodles?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
ouch that stinks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust_Memories
Are they Fabian's doodles?

It’s not.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_struggle55
ouch that stinks.

Yes it does, but it could’ve been worse.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think they can be removed without the risk of a restored label.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@DrWatson. I was afraid of that, but if it doesn’t hurt the grade too much I can live with it. What would you say.5,1.0 or more?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Leave it as is and send in for grading. It's still worth it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
isnt there a site where you can input defects like that and would tell you grade

But Id think theyd deduct per pen marks. not super prominent but still major
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Is the 12/31 an arrival date? The 1-3 might be 1 of 3 copies received?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15

good eye. i thought it was random scribbles but could be notes from a store when it was new or someone not knowing what they had and making notes
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape

Yeah I’m definitely sending it in, just wanted some feedback on grade and possible cleaning.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
isnt there a site where you can input defects like that and would tell you grade

If there’s a site I’ve never heard of it. Thanks for your reply.

And is CBCS still giving Red labels for verified sigs?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAnEm
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeape

Yeah I’m definitely sending it in, just wanted some feedback on grade and possible cleaning.

to me. if comic for most part still looks good and have no intention on selling. grade is trivial. could take a good hit because of the pen marks. but should be good with consideration.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For what it's worth you can do a press screening. If they feel it needs a clean and press they do it. If not they just charge you the screening fee.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
For what it's worth you can do a press screening. If they feel it needs a clean and press they do it. If not they just charge you the screening fee.

Thanks, I’ll definitely look into this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

good idea. do this CraigAnEm. you pay them to basically grade and tell you the grade. If its a grade you want, give the ok to slab. if not what you want and dont want to pay the rest....they send it back
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

😂 It was Fabian, he forgot to sit the paper down on top of the book 😂 So it’s a Re-mark
Post 18 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CraigAnEm Definitely get it verified and graded. The pen marks won't be a huge deduction...maybe a full point or so. The book looks good overall. Unless I'm missing something I'd say the book is in the 7.0 range give or take. The pen marks can not be removed but a press and clean is still probably worth it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
the 12/31 1=(3) could be completely unrelated to the comic. could be someone writing notes about new year's eve and one of something. thought was writing on something random
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

😂 It was Fabian, he forgot to sit the paper down on top of the book 😂 So it’s a Re-mark

Having a remark placed over the doodles might not be a bad idea. I had a sketch colored because of an errant inker's pen stroke. Now, I can't even find the mistake anymore.

Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

If there’s a site I’ve never heard of it. Thanks for your reply.

I think this is the website he’s referring to

And no, CBCS uses yellow labels for all its signature books, Witnessed or verified
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Sadly, no. All yellow.
Post 23 IP   flag post
i used the link. it would be "multiple ballpoint on cover" which alone drives grade down to 7.5
Post 24 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 Multiple is a strong word, and it's on the back cover instead of the front.
Post 25 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CraigAnEm

NEARMINT+9.6
This is close to mint with some minor defects. Even though some defects are allowed in 9.6, certain defects, such as tape, are never allowed in this grade range.

Slight stress on the spine.
The staples themselves are generally centered clean with no discernible rust.
Maybe some minor color has chipped or flaked off the cover.
The cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and very little fading. Square and sharp corners with ever so slight blunting permitted.
You can tell that this comic has been stored properly and looks almost as new as the day it was printed.
The smallest amount of creasing
All bindery tears are small.
Only some binding and/or printing defects allowed.
Cover is fairly well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.
Paper is supple and like new.
Spine is tight and flat.
Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.
Many pedigree collection comics have a notation on the cover or the interior of the comic and are considered a bonus to collectors as they help prove the provenance of the comic.

CBCS Comics Grading Scale
Post 26 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Although a 9.6 is possible based on the criteria @GAC pointed out; I would not hold my breath on a modern. That would be nice if it got a 9.4/9.6 assuming lack of other defects. Being a modern I wouldn’t expect it. Was it still common practice to have date “stamps” in the 90s? The signature has the most benefit unless you have Liefeld sign it too. Don’t get me wrong; it’s super cool and (more) valuable with the sig regardless of the back cover pen. Good luck.
Post 27 IP   flag post
615415 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?