Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help Needed

Does damage from the printer cause the grade to go down?19727

Collector Dealiod private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve got a book from 1992. It’s got small notches at the bottom of the first 8 pages. They are evenly spaced and look like they are from a machine. The only reason I worry is because it’s the first 8 pages.
The other issue ( which I know is a problem,) is they are also on the cover. Which sucks. I’ll post pics if needed, but I deleted them from my pics.
Post 1 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Dealiod those a "gripper" tears....no impact on grade for those interior pages. Never heard of gripper tears on a cover though.

Welcome to the forum!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with GAC,

I’ll add that some other manufacturer marks, like roller imprints down the outside spine or slight scratches that occurred during the printing process, maybe where the workers were pulling the stack off the machines…. Those do affect grades.

For modern books, you just have to be ULTRA picky and look over the book’s details before you buy it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
i have a Transformers #8 which had what could only be described as like pen dots on back. but didnt look or feel like like someone took a pet to make dots. so I assume caused during printing. I submitted it to cbcs. graders notes didnt mention such. so I guess depending on what the "damage" is
Post 4 IP   flag post
@GAC Thanks! Here’s the pics!

Post 5 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Dealiod yup. Those should be good. Mechanical gripper tears should not be an issue.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@multi007 I’ll be darned! Thank you!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Dealiod - That defect is very common for that particular issue.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
that's the same book I have with gripper tears. it's currently graded 9.8, but I was scared it wouldn't return the same grade if I sent it in for a signing!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Yes asm 361 like every one I ever seen has those marks even the 2nd prints I seen have them it’s a common thing with that comic I am sure there’s other comics that are notorious for having manufacture defects.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealiod
I’ve got a book from 1992. It’s got small notches at the bottom of the first 8 pages. They are evenly spaced and look like they are from a machine. The only reason I worry is because it’s the first 8 pages.
The other issue ( which I know is a problem,) is they are also on the cover. Which sucks. I’ll post pics if needed, but I deleted them from my pics.

Depending on The problem worst case scenario green lable . case in point

Post 11 IP   flag post
615415 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?