Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Modern AgeFor SaleSignatures

When the market makes clear, NO reserves…19726

Collector jgzachary13 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure why folks don't just start tbe auction at their reserve?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte yea; why even do an auction where the reserve may not be met? Just start at the reserve or do a fixed price listing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte 💯, makes no sense to me either.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte That's what I do. Granted the books I sell are overpriced though. I have them on auction with high starting bids - i figure someone might want them someday. Either the market will catch up to my asking prices, or a new movie or tv show or passing of a artist will get it to sell.

And if not - they look nice in my collection.
Post 5 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Ultimate Fallout indeed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
Lotta misspellings in that description. Always makes me smile.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
@Dalkiel misspellings always make me want to spend over 5 figures of $$$
Post 8 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to say that at least he spelled CGC correctly, but then I looked again.
Post 9 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector grapeape private msg quote post Address this user
Reserves are really for people who can't stomach the idea of Fair Market Value determining the final bid. They lack, courage.
I ignore all auctions with reserves.

Why not a fixed price? Buy it now? Those work best when you have a seller willing to list at a price that undercuts Fair Market Value of all other available options. If this seller were to list at buy it now, he or she knows it's unlikely to even get an offer.

No reserve auctions are risky but it's truly the best way to sell an item and give it the most exposure. Competition for that "rare" variant could cause at least two bidders on any given day to lose their minds and overbid.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@grapeape so true. I put a $125 book on eBay 6 months ago, no reserve $1 starting bid, it sold for $14. Never again.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Reserves are for sellers who want guarantees and buyers who ignore reserves are people who think there is no deal to be had.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
maybe the guy just wanted to see what the current market value was with no intention of selling, wasting everyone else's time
Post 14 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
Lotta misspellings in that description. Always makes me smile.

Lol even the username is misspelled.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Reserves are for sellers who want guarantees and buyers who ignore reserves are people who think there is no deal to be had.
well said @GAC . Just like at local conventions there is always the guy who sets up all day long. Has some nice raw books and sets the prices at double FVM and may sell a book or two to pay for his table. Then spends 3 hours packing up. My guess is they just like to show thier stuff and have no interest or intention of selling anything. Just weekend fun for them I guess
Post 16 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Not sure why folks don't just start tbe auction at their reserve?

Same reason some people provide a “make an offer” option but set the threshold at a high % of their asking price ;-)

Hoping to take advantage of psychology.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I have a degree in psychology, but I'd be first to admit that sometimes folks just don't make enough sense for me to understand what they are trying to accomplish.
Post 18 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I have a degree in psychology, but I'd be first to admit that sometimes folks just don't make enough sense for me to understand what they are trying to accomplish.

Irrationality, as you know. Some people get emotional (angry/competitive etc) when bidding or negotiating.
Post 19 IP   flag post
That I have been guilty of. I could have done a buy it now on my hulk 181 for less than the bidding war I got into getting it. Only solace is that after pressing it went from a 9.4 to 9.6
Post 20 IP   flag post
There are many different motivations for people putting up an eBay listing....up to and including no intention of actually selling.
Post 21 IP   flag post
615415 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?