Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2023 - part IV19696

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone seen this before at an oil change? They pump the old oil out from the top of the engine instead of draining from the bottom? Saw it yesterday for the first time:

Post 176 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
New to me
Post 177 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Anyone seen this before at an oil change? They pump the old oil out from the top of the engine instead of draining from the bottom? Saw it yesterday for the first time:

I've heard about it from several people I know, but this is the first time I've seen a pic of it. I'm not sure what the advantage is? maybe it's just the obvious, no pit needed, no removing the oil pan plug, no laying on the grownd or raising the car. I guess those are good enough reasons, but they are guesses.
Post 178 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yep I've heard of that before.
Post 179 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Dave rhe brave posted his unit on tbe forums previously. Apparently it's quite efficient.
Post 180 IP   flag post

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I have no desire to see or discuss @Davethebrave's unit.
Post 181 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone listen to The Bob and Tom show? If so, Ron Sexton died yesterday in Dayton OH while on tour. Ron was most notably Donnie Baker but also played Floyd the Trucker, Kenny Tarmac, and did their Morgan Freeman impersonations as well as Tony Soprano.

I’m not a fan of the rip threads and refuse to start one but I’m truly distraught over this.
Post 182 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Did anyone here win this? Maybe @EbayMafia out of spite?

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=59186554

Post 183 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yes, saw one as I did a couple of oil changes on my Volvos - in my garage :-)

Top sider. Definitely convenient though how much -more- efficient depends on oil filter type / location.

Not something I use on my collector cars. I have a car lift so those get drained through their drain plugs.
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@Bronte I have no desire to see or discuss @Davethebrave's unit.

Yeah, not sure I can even find a photo of it on my phone right now. If you google around a bit I’m sure you’ll find a picture though.

Conveniently fits in my garage, though can be a bit cumbersome to lug around. Have to be mindful putting it in, but especially when taking it out or you can make a mess if not careful. Happened the first time I used it. Baking soda proved invaluable for clean-up!
Post 185 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

I've heard about it from several people I know, but this is the first time I've seen a pic of it. I'm not sure what the advantage is? maybe it's just the obvious, no pit needed, no removing the oil pan plug, no laying on the grownd or raising the car. I guess those are good enough reasons, but they are guesses.

For a commercial operation (that has a pit already) I think the biggest advantage is for SUVs/trucks with skid plates or sports cars with undertrays. Skid plates can be a PITA to remove / heavily rusted bolts and cumbersome. Some sports cars too - not heavy, but undertrays / ground effects trays with many small bolts that need removing.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
My mother in law went to an oil change place and got her Nissan Maxima oil changed. They over torqued her drain plug which has a copper crush washer. I had to change it as it was trashed and oil was leaking from the plug. But I think that I would rather have the oil drain out vs sucking it out. But what do I know.
Post 187 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
My mother in law went to an oil change place and got her Nissan Maxima oil changed. They over torqued her drain plug which has a copper crush washer. I had to change it as it was trashed and oil was leaking from the plug. But I think that I would rather have the oil drain out vs sucking it out. But what do I know.

I don’t use it on all my cars because of my <100% confidence. Will say that the filter should handle most risks and if someone is thorough you can measure oil in / out (after setting a baseline).

Consider too that a lot of other fluids already use this approach as standard practice.

I don’t think I will use it for all my cars but for my daily drivers, it cuts down on time and is pretty darn convenient.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Not a question, couldn't find the appropriate thread, didn't want to start another thread. This guy does some cool audio/visual motion comics of John Byrnes work. I think it's awesome!clickable text
Post 189 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
Not a question, couldn't find the appropriate thread, didn't want to start another thread. This guy does some cool audio/visual motion comics of John Byrnes work. I think it's awesome!clickable text
John Byrne is my guy!
Post 190 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
So I bought AAA for my family and a friend. Apparently their service is crap now. Anybody have any experience with alternative?
Post 191 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
So I bought AAA for my family and a friend. Apparently their service is crap now. Anybody have any experience with alternative?

I've actually been thinking of getting AAA lately. What have you heard/experienced about them?
Post 192 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967

When I had to redo my roof I called them at 8pm. Told them I needed to move my vehicle out of driveway. It had to be completed before 7am the following day. They said sure no problem. I literally was up all night waiting. At 6.30am I cancelled the tow and spent 160$ to some guy to do it. They reimbursed me but I was not a happy camper.

Today my buddy was trying to tow a car with a busted axle. Took 3 hours to get a tow truck to them.

Previously it took over a few hours to tow a car for her as well. (She is go to for her family since she has AAA)

However there has been some positive experiences. But to be honest, when I need to use it I expect them to arrive. I told them that I was safe in my home, but if I was like my buddy on the highway, 3 plus hours wait is crazy. Granted original estimate was 10pm so 3 hours wasn't nearly as bad as it was supposed to be

Edit.
I was wrong. One was a no show for my buddy. Her husband cane and fixed problem. That was the 3 hour wait for nothing.
Post 193 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have AAA. Their service has gone downhill lately. However, I don't know of an alternative unless it might be something or someone through your car insurance.

I waited hours for them to replace a dead battery only to have the tow guy tell me that they no longer replaced batteries when he called to say he was on his way. Even though, I'd had the exact same towing replace batteries in different cars over the last couple of years. I told him to forget it.

I sold the car and told the guy who bought it that if he wanted to drive it home, then he'd better bring a battery.
Post 194 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
One time, my 2002 expedition was sitting along I75 with a flat tire. I couldn’t get the rim off the back wheel. I had to subscribe to AAA to get help. With the way I was situated on the interstate a “tow” woulda been way outside free.

This African dude was hell bent on getting my wheel off. He was crazy as hell with a 4x4 and kept saying I’ll get it. The other two dudes just kept saying he brags about getting shit done.

Edit: he did break that wheel off there and get my spare on. It involved a lot of PB blaster and 4x4 rams.

Edit #2: by African, I meant straight up indigenous. Not a black dude.
Post 195 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I have AAA plus, and they have been solid.
Longest wait time was about 45 minutes on Christmas day on the highway in the middle of nowhere.
AAA also sells batteries at a competitive price. And if it goes bad before the warranty ends, they replace it with new one. Well worth the $$....
Post 196 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67

Pretty sure I have the plus as well. I needed the distance towing on one of my vehicles. I am not going to ditch unless I have something to replace it with.
Post 197 IP   flag post
It's hard because 1 tow covers the cost of plus. It's not as good as it used to be. Most service based things aren't.
Post 198 IP   flag post
@Jgwalters100
Yes. To move my truck out of driveway was 160 bux. He only moved the stupid thing 20 feet.
Post 199 IP   flag post
I wouldn't want to be a tow truck driver but it seems like a really profitable job.
Post 200 IP   flag post
@Jgwalters100

You shoulda seen the truck the guy used to move the truck. It was pretty much automatic. Very little if any interaction with the actual vehicle was necessary. I'm told that that type of tow truck is especially good for repossessed cars because of how fast it can snatch a car up. Much faster than traditional flat bed.
Post 201 IP   flag post
It's funny it keeps getting easier and they keep charging more money.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
AAA was much more valuable in the pre and early internet days. Not just the roadside service, but more the DMV service. By-passing a trip to the DMV just one time is worth like 5 annual membership fees. When you handled your DMV shit at the AAA office you really felt like a VIP. But the internet has changed much of the need to go to the DMV.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Anybody going to S. FL ultracon?

https://ultraconofsouthflorida.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwq4imBhBQEiwA9Nx1BscpyVSZ4D--3r-qXg6TAGzEU4SNNZgqgdqS03lJshzrHrCPTEeRyhoCN7UQAvD_BwE
Post 204 IP   flag post
Is the first miles morales the quickest comic to gain that amount of value in a short time. I'm in my thirties and it's the fastest I have seen but maybe I am forgetting something?
Post 205 IP   flag post
608070 999 30