Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2023 - part IV19696

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
You can also pay by check or money order at ComicLink and have the buyer's premium waived.

But, to answer your original question, @OGJackster, yes, I believe that, while the cost of shipping has increased, shipping charges are just one more way that customers get shafted.
Post 76 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Are shipping & handling charges another way to grab money from customers? I have 28 bagged and boarded books being shipped to me from TFAW for $14. Then I have 3 CGC books from ComicLink for $35. Why such a huge difference? Because of the box size and weight or greed? It just seems some places take advantage of the customers especially with some of the "buyer premium" costs. Heritage Auctions charge around 20% for comics. I just saw a piece of art for sale with these conditions, "25% on the first $300,000 (minimum $49), plus 20% of any amount between $300,000 and $3,000,000, plus 15% of any amount over $3,000,000 per lot". Comicconnect has around 15% as well.

I mostly try to buy from ComicLink and mycomicshop because at least have a low 3% buyers premium.
*I'm mostly just venting

If you have a FedEx account number, I was told you can use that to ship with ComicLink. I'll find out as I struck out the shipping charge on my last order and replaced it with my FedEx account number. If they won't use it, I'm done with ComicLink. It's been a month since my last win and payment and they'll still haven't shipped the books.

MCS is going to be my go to place of purchase. I still buy off of eBay, but the sales tax is a pain in the ass. I won't touch anything on Heritage, as to quote Depeche Mode, "The grabbing hands grab all they can. All for themselves after all."

Dalerobertscomics.com is my favorite non-auction site.
Post 77 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's been a month since my last win and payment and they'll still haven't shipped the books.

Yea, ComicLink tends to take way too long to ship, IMO. Even when I've paid with CC immediately after a win in the past it has still taken up to two months before I've received the book(s) that I've purchased. I get that they sell a lot of books but that still seems nuts.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Any ideas why this book appears to be increasing in value? It can’t be movie related.

clickable text
Post 79 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
uh..... Its a yellow cover dude, duh.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
And this one is going for significantly more than another 9.8 copy that you can buy for $325 on the same site.

clickable text
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
And this one is going for significantly more than another 9.8 copy that you can buy for $325 on the same site.

clickable text

You tell me. I was bidding on it and one on ComicLink at the same time. I won the one on ComicLink and stopped bidding on this one a few days ago. So far, I've saved over $150.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Any ideas why this book appears to be increasing in value? It can’t be movie related.

clickable text

You don't think that the movie gave it a bit of a bump? Even if it was abysmal, someone probably liked it.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo First issue of series with Wally West as new Flash

Post 84 IP   flag post
@OGJackster - I have a raw copy (see below). It just seems odd that that’s one of the few books that appears to be increasing in value, while most others are still dropping or staying near the lows of the last few months. I never would have considered that it was worth getting graded.

Post 85 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@OGJackster - I have a raw copy (see below). It just seems odd that that’s one of the few books that appears to be increasing in value, while most others are still dropping or staying near the lows of the last few months. I never would have considered that it was worth getting graded.

I have 2 of them buried somewhere, I'll have to dig them out and see if they're good enough to send in.
Post 86 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Then I have 3 CGC books from ComicLink for $35. Why such a huge difference?

Maybe Steve can make an appearance on the board for the first time in months since he now works for them, although this has nothing to do with his job, it would be nice if he came back to the forum.

I won 5 books at the most recent auction and it's a flat rate charge of $40 for 4-10 books. I'm going to ask them to hold onto my books for shipping and see if I can win 5 more in the next auction, but hopefully not 6, because then the rates will jump to some unknown unpublished amount. It's definitely strange that the rate is the same despite the insurance amount and weight.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

clickable text

@esaravo @DrWatson I'm assuming it's a lot of fake bids and it'll be unpaid and relisted. The market is still trending down and these high, questionable bids don't seem to be happening at other auction sites. Maybe it's too easy to make a MCS account. I don't remember what info I had to submit since it's been years.
Post 88 IP   flag post
I thought it might be someone who has set a high max bid thinking that it won't go that high. Unfortunately, another bidder comes along and pops a high thinking it won't be that high and... uh-oh.
Post 89 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

Just an email and password is all that's required
Post 90 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Off topic question: I don't know much about astronomy, at night, are we looking at completely different stars each season as the earth rotates around the sun?
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Off topic question: I don't know much about astronomy, at night, are we looking at completely different stars each season as the earth rotates around the sun?

Link.
Post 92 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
It's crazy to think about how fast we are moving around the sun then how the milky way is spinning. We move so fast and don't know it.
Post 94 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
It's crazy to think about how fast we are moving around the sun then how the milky way is spinning. We move so fast and don't know it.

If you ever need to cheer yourself up, go look at the night sky and consider that your home is actually a luxury suite on an incredible spaceship that is touring the stars.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100

Post 97 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

When I’m cosplaying Copernicus I use both old-school and new-school methods of star tracking. Both need to account for the positioning changes over time. The old-school is using a planisphere (below). You can see the date alignment across the top. New school is using an app that has you sync’d via GPS (I use one called Planet Finder - it also tracks stars/constellations). The app is faster and easier but has the downside of throwing off your night vision if not careful.

If you’re casually interested in astronomy buy a Dobsonian telescope. Ideal if you have garage space (they can be cumbersome and it avoids having to acclimate it for temp changes). If you’re -very- casually interested, binoculars.

Otherwise eyes suffice.

Post 98 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
So, Disney is scaling back Marvel content (which has been losing them substantial $ for some time). Hopefully it helps improve quality. Probably not great timing for Marvel comic values, right?
Post 99 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Are shipping & handling charges another way to grab money from customers? I have 28 bagged and boarded books being shipped to me from TFAW for $14. Then I have 3 CGC books from ComicLink for $35. Why such a huge difference? Because of the box size and weight or greed? It just seems some places take advantage of the customers especially with some of the "buyer premium" costs. Heritage Auctions charge around 20% for comics. I just saw a piece of art for sale with these conditions, "25% on the first $300,000 (minimum $49), plus 20% of any amount between $300,000 and $3,000,000, plus 15% of any amount over $3,000,000 per lot". Comicconnect has around 15% as well.

I mostly try to buy from ComicLink and mycomicshop because at least have a low 3% buyers premium.
*I'm mostly just venting

If you have a FedEx account number, I was told you can use that to ship with ComicLink. I'll find out as I struck out the shipping charge on my last order and replaced it with my FedEx account number. If they won't use it, I'm done with ComicLink. It's been a month since my last win and payment and they'll still haven't shipped the books.

MCS is going to be my go to place of purchase. I still buy off of eBay, but the sales tax is a pain in the ass. I won't touch anything on Heritage, as to quote Depeche Mode, "The grabbing hands grab all they can. All for themselves after all."

Dalerobertscomics.com is my favorite non-auction site.

I've visited Dale's sight a couple times but not in-depth. I need to spend some time and really indulge myself.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

clickable text

@esaravo @DrWatson I'm assuming it's a lot of fake bids and it'll be unpaid and relisted. The market is still trending down and these high, questionable bids don't seem to be happening at other auction sites. Maybe it's too easy to make a MCS account. I don't remember what info I had to submit since it's been years.

I'm starting to agree with you. I've bid on a couple of books with what I thought were almost crazy high bids only to be immediately out bid. I stopped bidding. At this point, there are cheaper BINs on eBay even with the sales tax.
Post 101 IP   flag post
The price on one of the books I was bidding on is now sitting at $100. I just bought a signed 9.8 copy off eBay for $75.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

I'm starting to agree with you. I've bid on a couple of books with what I thought were almost crazy high bids only to be immediately out bid. I stopped bidding. At this point, there are cheaper BINs on eBay even with the sales tax.

Welp, the Modern smut portion of the auction finally ended, lol. Sure looked like the sellers of slabbed booby books have headed for the exits. I think half the modern auction had some kind of naked or almost naked woman on the cover. Now we will get to see if buyers actually pay up or if the Prime Auction was sabotaged.
Post 103 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

We're they graded or raw?
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

clickable text

Welp, the Modern smut portion of the auction finally ended, lol. Sure looked like the sellers of slabbed booby books have headed for the exits. I think half the modern auction had some kind of naked or almost naked woman on the cover. Now we will get to see if buyers actually pay up or if the Prime Auction was sabotaged.

In my experience, a My Comic Shop auction is the place to sell, not the place to buy.
Post 105 IP   flag post
608070 999 30