Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2023 - part IV19696

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad - Print out two copies of the invoice and have the CBCS rep sign it and write received on it. I almost always print out invoices before hand, then if anything changes, I just write the changes on both copies.
Post 901 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@HeinzDad - Print out two copies of the invoice and have the CBCS rep sign it and write received on it. I almost always print out invoices before hand, then if anything changes, I just write the changes on both copies.
My Man!!!!! thanks Ed.
Post 902 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Is it possible for comic books to have copper staples or is this rust? I've rarely seen it, but just sold a TMNT book and noticed the staples are copper on my copy as well as others that I've looked up.

I don't think it's rusted but are some comics more susceptible to rust?

My copy:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=51279680

CGC 9.8 on MCS:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=8497521#58618476

Another CGC on MCS of a different issue:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=8497641#57062376
Post 903 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders copper staples do exist; however, whether they are used in comic books is another question:

Post 904 IP   flag post
I happen to have one in the lab.

You may be on to something neighborino. Looking like copper staples to me.
Post 905 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Copper Age comic. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Is it possible for comic books to have copper staples or is this rust? I've rarely seen it, but just sold a TMNT book and noticed the staples are copper on my copy as well as others that I've looked up.

My copy:

CGC 9.8 on MCS:

Post 906 IP   flag post

Post 907 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Copper Age comic. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

My copy:

CGC 9.8 on MCS:

Did they use sliver staples in the silver age or gold staples in the golden age??? lol...
Post 908 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
So, new proud owners of Fantastic Four #49.

Quick question...I think it's in the 2.5 - 3.0 grade range. Complete, no cutouts and no restoration.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the top staple at the centerfold appears to have the top prong broken off it. It's still holding everything together. Everything attached, staple is secured at the center, just it appears to be missing the top part after the metal bend.

Any idea how this would affect grade?
Post 909 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Paulbg2000 - That would not be a factor in that grade range. In fact, you could have a detached centerfold at either the top or bottom staple (not both) and still get in the 8.0-9.0 range if the rest of the book warranted it.

PS - Congrats on that book!
Post 910 IP   flag post
Collector Paulbg2000 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Paulbg2000 - That would not be a factor in that grade range. In fact, you could have a detached centerfold at either the top or bottom staple (not both) and still get in the 8.0-9.0 range if the rest of the book warranted it.

PS - Congrats on that book!

Thanks Ed! Appreciate it. First time I've come across this type of issue, so wasn't sure.
Post 911 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000

Quick question...I think it's in the 2.5 - 3.0 grade range. Complete, no cutouts and no restoration.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the top staple at the centerfold appears to have the top prong broken off it. It's still holding everything together. Everything attached, staple is secured at the center, just it appears to be missing the top part after the metal bend.

If only part of the staple broke off you can fix it by welding or soldering another (period correct, of course) staple fragment back on. Keeps it mostly original.

Not sure if it would count as restored or conserved, however.

Here’s an after photo of a book I worked on. Made a small mistake but confident next time it’ll work.

Post 912 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbg2000

If only part of the staple broke off you can fix it by welding or soldering another (period correct, of course) staple fragment back on. Keeps it mostly original.

Not sure if it would count as restored or conserved, however.

Here’s an after photo of a book I worked on. Made a small mistake but confident next time it’ll work.

As they say, "practice makes perfect." You got this!
Post 913 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
In my next submission I was planning on sending in a bunch of comics and 1 magazine. Then I realized that they would have to be on separate orders. Is it possible to have them all shipped back together in a single shipment or will they be shipped back as separate orders?

Not really worth it for me to send the single magazine in if it will get shipped back separately and therefore cost me twice the shipping/brokerage fees.
Post 914 IP   flag post
Guess no one knows?
Post 915 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Silversorrow pretty sure you are right that they will end up as separate return packages.
Post 916 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I happen to have one in the lab.

You may be on to something neighborino. Looking like copper staples to me.

I recognize that book. Good luck with it.
Post 917 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Do torpedos run on batteries?
Post 918 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
They run on dreams
Post 919 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
In my next submission, I was planning on sending in a bunch of comics and 1 magazine. Then I realized that they would have to be on separate orders. Is it possible to have them all shipped back together in a single shipment or will they be shipped back as separate orders?

Not really worth it for me to send the single magazine in if it will get shipped back separately and therefore cost me twice the shipping/brokerage fees.

I have never submitted comics with a magazine, but this is what I know for a fact regarding a comic submission.
If you send in several comics from different eras (I just sent in one submission with three eras (New, modern, and vintage)), they are all returned together. the only problem is that they are all returned when the slowest tier is completed. My order took 3 months to complete, and they are all on their way now. I am guessing that it would work the same with a comics/magazine combo.
Post 920 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversorrow
In my next submission, I was planning on sending in a bunch of comics and 1 magazine. Then I realized that they would have to be on separate orders. Is it possible to have them all shipped back together in a single shipment or will they be shipped back as separate orders?

I have never submitted comics with a magazine, but this is what I know for a fact regarding a comic submission.
If you send in several comics from different eras (I just sent in one submission with three eras (New, modern, and vintage)), they are all returned together. the only problem is that they are all returned when the slowest tier is completed. My order took 3 months to complete, and they are all on their way now. I am guessing that it would work the same with a comics/magazine combo.
There's a difference though. With comics you can have comics from all 3 era's on the same submission/order form. With the magazine I cannot do that, as to add a magazine I would have to create an entirely separate and new submission/order form.
Post 921 IP   flag post
@Silversorrow - "...With the magazine I cannot do that, as to add a magazine I would have to create an entirely separate and new submission/order form." - That's what I wasn't sure about. It seems like there is no way to marry the two submissions so they can be kept together.
Post 922 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@Silversorrow - "...With the magazine I cannot do that, as to add a magazine I would have to create an entirely separate and new submission/order form." - That's what I wasn't sure about. It seems like there is no way to marry the two submissions so they can be kept together.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just not worth it. I think they would most likely ship them back separately. Was just hoping someone had experience with this and knew for sure.
Post 923 IP   flag post
When did pre 75 books go over 40 dollars for grading?
Post 924 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's gittn' spensive lol... Wait for a promo to get 15 - 20 % off..
Post 925 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I went to submit 5 pre 70s books a few weeks ago and couldn't believe the price. I can't remember but it was like 250 and I had to wait a little bit
Post 926 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
anyone who recognize this sig? looks like Joseph A - dated 1979
Post 927 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 928 IP   flag post
Quote:

Just thought I’d spread some knowledge. You now get billed at the con and they run your card on the spot instead of charging once received. We now get a printed receipt that we payed. Mr. Lockwood didn’t have to give me his John Handcock.
Post 929 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
Quote:

It's gittn' spensive lol... Wait for a promo to get 15 - 20 % off..

Definitely getting pricey....I will only submit with a promo code.....primarily because most of my books that I want slabbed already have been.
Post 930 IP   flag post
608070 999 30