Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2023 - part IV19696

CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Not having a Stan Lee signed book kind of makes me feel like I should have at least one.
Post 651 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Not having a Stan Lee signed book kind of makes me feel like I should have at least one.

I've had only 1 SL signed comic (ASM 129 - 8.5) with nice sig and placement... perfect wrap). Kicking myself in the ass for letting that one go.
Post 652 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I've had only 1 SL signed comic (ASM 129 - 8.5) with nice sig and placement... perfect wrap). Kicking myself in the ass for letting that one go.
I’m not sure I’ll ever own a copy of that book. Including signed. So yeah, roger that @Pre_Coder.
Post 653 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I feel a SL signature is a must for a collection but with the signature being so common, personally I wouldn't put it on a high value or vintage book. If the SL signature was from the 70s or earlier, I like that more.
Post 654 IP   flag post
Other than an Incredible Hulk book I’m not overly concerned. Someone find me a Delano signed Hellblazer or an Alan Moore of anything and I’ll do acrobatics for ya!
Post 655 IP   flag post

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Other than an Incredible Hulk book I’m not overly concerned. Someone find me a Delano signed Hellblazer or an Alan Moore of anything and I’ll do acrobatics for ya!

Will this do?
Post 656 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I had an Uncanny X-Men 266 signed by Stan. One of the happiest days of my life was when I sold it for more than I paid for it. I don't need another one.
Post 657 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

Will this do?
I meant for sale for me to buy but I did just do a cart wheel for a consolation prize…
Post 658 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will this do?
I meant for sale for me to buy but I did just do a cart wheel for a consolation prize…

I actually have two copies of Watchmen #1 with verified Alan Moore sigs. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort sometime. We seem to both have similar taste in books.
Post 659 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
…personally I wouldn't put it on a high value or vintage book.

Wait, is he still signing? I know he‘d sign any item, at any time…

I opted to get a book with his sig on the back cover. Doesn’t detract from the art and I can say with certainty at least its placement is relatively rare.
Post 660 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Has manners from comic convention attendees gotten worse after 2020?

I was at Grit city last Saturday and I experienced the usual odd absence of body washing from the odd person that is kind of cliche at comic book conventions of the past.

What I found new was people diving into boxes and pushing people who were already looking into boxes. Happened to me in the first ten minutes I was there at a booth and I just told the booth owner I'll just buy this book for $10 and get out of here.

I had a backpack and mindful of not bumping people with it I had my bag slung over just my right shoulder.
While looking through back issue bins I had numerous people bumping my bag as they walked down aisles that were clearly not crowded and congested.
That was so weird after the third time I draped my hand down the bag to deter any pick pocketing though I'm sure that wasn't the case.

The final straw was when I was standing two feet away from a back issue box where I pulled out a $6 Superman comic. With the comic laid on top of the box I pulled out my wallet and paid for the book to the dealer. As I put my wallet promptly into my back pocket a middle aged man moved from the side and stood in front of me and proceeded to look at the back issue bin.
I said excuse me and he looked at me in shock and moves to the side so I could pick up the Superman comic I just bought and walked away to put it in my bag.

Hour and a half and I was done there. I'm thinking since 2020 people's social skills in public have taken a dive and it maybe a few years before they get back to pre 2019 levels again.

Rant over 😂
Post 661 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will this do?

I actually have two copies of Watchmen #1 with verified Alan Moore sigs. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort sometime. We seem to both have similar taste in books.
Hhhhhhhhhmmmm…..
Post 662 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have an Alan Moore verified up at MCS - no idea what to ask so I've gone high!!!
Will probably end up doing as an auction - no others in my collection and I ordered this direct from DF through my LCS - never opened it and still dings and such.

Maybe I should have it sent back home??

Post 663 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I have an Alan Moore verified up at MCS - no idea what to ask so I've gone high!!!
Will probably end up doing as an auction - no others in my collection and I ordered this direct from DF through my LCS - never opened it and still dings and such.

Maybe I should have it sent back home??

Trade it for video evidence of @HeinzDad putting on a 30-minute acrobatic extravaganza. In a leotard.
Post 664 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Trade it for video evidence of @HeinzDad putting on a 30-minute acrobatic extravaganza. In a leotard.

You mean you haven't seen this already? I subscribed to his only fans account months ago and it was one of the first videos I watched.
Post 665 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Pedro Pascal Circling ‘Fantastic Four' to Play Reed Richards: great actor...I'd like to see this happen
Post 666 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I like him as an actor but I thought dr strange got that casting right.
Post 667 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I have these two Secret Wars 8 comics that I bought and never read them. As you can see they both have minor spine rolls. Will clean and press help these will there be a grade bump from fixing the rolls?

Post 668 IP   flag post
That's not a spine roll. The covers are mis-wraped (misaligned.) Pressing won't fix that.

A spine roll happens when the books are read and the reader folds the pages back and around likely holding the book in one hand. Also, rolling it up and sticking the book in your back pocket can also produce a spine roll... among other defects.

A spine roll will cause the pages to fan when viewed from the back.

Post 669 IP   flag post
Any chance you could photo one outside the bag? Otherwise I can’t see a roll and would agree with the above post. The one looks like it could be rolled on the back cover but I can’t tell.
Post 670 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I will try and remember that once I get home.

Thanks!
Post 671 IP   flag post
@DrWatson, I’m just wondering if they have the roll on the back cover. The profile of both look like it’s a possibility???

Also, for what it’s worth, I’m not sure it really matters to answer his question. I have a “9.8” newsstand from the other guys that looks like a hockey stick curl. I wouldn’t grade it a 9.8.
Post 672 IP   flag post
I got such great response from my last cover comparison I’ll grace everyone with another…….

Post 673 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DrWatson, I’m just wondering if they have the roll on the back cover. The profile of both look like it’s a possibility???

Also, for what it’s worth, I’m not sure it really matters to answer his question. I have a “9.8” newsstand from the other guys that looks like a hockey stick curl. I wouldn’t grade it a 9.8.

A spine roll shouldn't lay flat like his examples. Also, some people call stacking curls spine rolls when they aren't and are more easily pressed.
Post 674 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:

A spine roll shouldn't lay flat like his examples. Also, some people call stacking curls spine rolls when they aren't and more easily pressed.
Look at the upper left corner, it takes a sharp dive down on both books. Thats the only reason I'm wondering if it's on the back. Otherwise, yes they appear flat as they are pictured. I'm just trying to keep hopes up instead of telling guy there is nothing he can do.

Edit: If that back top spine cover is rolled the way it kinda looks it could make the wrap appear more proper after a press.
Post 675 IP   flag post
It won't count against the grade. There's a blue million 9.8s with slight mis-wraps.
Post 676 IP   flag post
Quote:
Any chance you could photo one outside the bag? Otherwise I can’t see a roll and would agree with the above post. The one looks like it could be rolled on the back cover but I can’t tell.

I took a cursory look and discovered that The long box they are in is not at the top (sheesh), I will try again tomorrow.
Post 677 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

I took a cursory look and discovered that The long box they are in is not at the top (sheesh), I will try again tomorrow.
First world struggles kick ass! We just gotta remind ourselves to appreciate em.
Post 678 IP   flag post
Collector DSTransmissions private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all. First-time poster so apologies in advance if I get any of the etiquette wrong

I'm a collector of Grant Morrison stuff and was recently looking at newsstand versions of his run on JLA (1997).

I can find plenty of pics and listings for issue #1 and #5 onwards, but nothing at all for issues #2-4. There's no listings for them on Mile High, the GCD, eBay or Worthpoint (tho their search function leaves a little to be desired...)

Does anyone know if newsstand versions of JLA issues #2, 3 and 4 actually exist?

An ideal answer would be something like "Yes they do, here's a pic"
Post 679 IP   flag post
If God can do anything, why can He not forgive Satan?
Post 680 IP   flag post
608070 999 30