Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a new thread 2023 - part IV19696

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an oldie.....

Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?
Post 26 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 27 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
<---- addicted to road rage videos

Question...
While driving along, some guy is being a dick (the 'why' isn't relevant). The cops pull him over. Is it legal to honk and point as you pass them?
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's not legal to honk, but you can certainly point and shout vulgarities.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders is honking illegal?
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I believe the law states it's illegal when unnecessary. Although you could argue honking at some total a-hole that is getting pulled over is absolutely necessary.

Subdivision (a) states that the driver of a motor vehicle “when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.” Subdivision (b) then adds, “the horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified” in the California Vehicle Code.

This means no rage honking, no honking for supporting a cause on the street, or for getting angry or upset.

I'm not sure what the other states say but I'm sure it's similar.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@flanders Very thorough and makes perfect sense.
Post 32 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
meatless or meatballs or meat sauce?

meat sauce every time for me.....with parmesan.

All of the above.

If we have pasta during the week we will generally have meatballs and/or sausage in it.

On weekends, I will sometimes make a bolognese sauce that simmers for about four hours. Tasty as hell but it takes too long to make during the work week.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to break up the tom foolery, but I have a comic book related question for the group.

There is a copy of Amazing Spiderman 129 I've had my eye on for over a year. For the past 12 months it has been priced too high. Now it's reasonable.

But and there is always a but, the comic has some nasty foxing on the bottom of the cover. If not for the foxing it would be nm. I can't find anything else wrong with it.

I know I find foxing unappealing and I'm guessing most people do too.

So, should I take advantage of a good deal and add it to my collection or wait to find a copy without foxing and possibly pay more for a book in a lower grade?

Thanks.
Post 34 IP   flag post
In most cases (most!) foxing will not spread absent introducing more “outside support”…

Whether oxidation of iron in the paper (perhaps the most common form) or something else, it is both common and can be halted.

So if you aren’t storing it in a damp spot, you’re likely okay.

So then it comes down to grade and display. Some foxing is akin to patina - old, valuable books often have it. They then look like old valuable books. Cool! But ASM129 is not that old… of course it will age but due to collection tendencies post 1960s, fewer books were exposed to the environment in that way. So most of those outside factors have already been removed/halted.

I am not ignorantly “anti-foxing” especially at a given grade. In many cases I’d choose some foxing over another defect that has a similar grade impact. But for ASM129, a really common book, I don’t know if I want the exception for the era.

Finally, when you characterize it (in this specific case) as “nasty” then I seriously doubt you’ll be satisfied with the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Sorry to break up the tom foolery, but I have a comic book related question for the group.

There is a copy of Amazing Spiderman 129 I've had my eye on for over a year. For the past 12 months it has been priced too high. Now it's reasonable.

But and there is always a but, the comic has some nasty foxing on the bottom of the cover. If not for the foxing it would be nm. I can't find anything else wrong with it.

I know I find foxing unappealing and I'm guessing most people do too.

So, should I take advantage of a good deal and add it to my collection or wait to find a copy without foxing and possibly pay more for a book in a lower grade?

Thanks.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Thank you for reinforcing my reason not to purchase.
Post 36 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
In many cases I’d choose some foxing over another defect that has a similar grade impact. But for ASM129, a really common book, I don’t know if I want the exception for the era.

Finally, when you characterize it (in this specific case) as “nasty” then I seriously doubt you’ll be satisfied with the book.

I agree with @Davethebrave on this one. There are tons of ASM #129 out there. I would pass on this book and wait for one thar presents better at a reasonable price.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would pass too.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Does anyone else think that Drew Carey needs a haircut on the Price is Right?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Equal grades, what would you choose? Multiple color breaking spine ticks or a color breaking corner crease.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Equal grades, what would you choose? Multiple color breaking spine ticks or a color breaking corner crease.
corner crease. No comic should endure what Bane did to Batman; let alone multiple times.
Post 41 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Thoughts on a Gemini mailer media mail challenge part two? I might have a 4 day weekend and it could be fun. I packed bonus books in with the wall art sale and I enjoyed it.

PS, If one of you guys could find that archived thread and post a link Id appreciate it. I don't know where those are.
Post 42 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
here
Post 43 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've never watched it since Barker left. Does Carey get kisses from the women like Barker used to?
Post 44 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yes, terribly so.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
No that behavior is not acceptable on TV anymore I was watching old price is right 70s style a few weeks ago. The man would be in prison now.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I happened across a couple episodes of Price is Right with Drew Carey. He just seems sad. Like a caricature of a disappointed aging actor wondering how it got to this point.
Post 47 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Cleveland doesn’t really rock. Trust me dudes.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Thoughts on a Gemini mailer media mail challenge part two? I might have a 4 day weekend and it could be fun. I packed bonus books in with the wall art sale and I enjoyed it.

PS, If one of you guys could find that archived thread and post a link Id appreciate it. I don't know where those are.
I got some Morbius books from you! I came across those in a box a few months ago and couldn’t figure out where they came from😆
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Everything depends on price
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

I might agree except it sounds like it’s a public listing. If so, it isn’t worth buying something at a fair market value that is not what you want in your collection.

If it (a high volume book like ASM129) was offered at a steal of a deal for what it is, it would already be gone. So no opportunity to buy to flip without a time commitment. Sounds like Briten is looking for a book to keep.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Price and grade
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

I might agree except it sounds like it’s a public listing. If so, it isn’t worth buying something at a fair market value that is not what you want in your collection.

If it (a high volume book like ASM129) was offered at a steal of a deal for what it is, it would already be gone. So no opportunity to buy to flip without a time commitment. Sounds like Briten is looking for a book to keep.
Ive purchased a CGC 9.4 modern that was well under fmv. I was not happy with it and should not have settled. The multiple spine breaks and bad NRs were more glaring in hand. I sold it and have since replaced it with a very nice raw copy that may still be a 9.4, but presents much better.

The shiny plastic got me..
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Cleveland doesn’t really rock. Trust me dudes.

It used to rock back in the early 90s in the Flats. They also had a great Indy Car race on the Burke Lk airport. I used to have a lot of fun there.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I really liked 2nd episode of Secret Invasion. Looks promising!
Post 55 IP   flag post
608070 999 30