Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
As I said yesterday, I had one of mine come back with a rejected sticker on it. It is a convention LE of 500 with a cover under the outside one.

I went through the forum archives to find out what "overhang" was, and from what I understand the top isn't the problem, but the issue is with overhang on the right side of the book. And there is no set size limit of what is acceptable or not.

In the photo, I used a quarter for the size reference. It is pretty uniform on the top and right side. I am guessing this is too much?

Do you all think this is too much overhang?
Does anyone know what the standard is?
Maybe I can send it in for a raw grade?
Here is the remaining photos. Thanks everyone

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Overhang refers to the outermost cover and how much extra paper there is, past the margin of the book inside. A lot of exclusive covers used to be oversized like this. And it’s up to several people along the way who can decide it’s not safe to slab.
I think the should offer raw grade instead…
Post 2 IP   flag post
@cyrano0521 If I had it trimmed (not by me but someone who knows how), I am wondering if I did how low would it grade then. Nah, that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I think I might send it in for a raw just to have it graded. Will they verify the signature as well?

I am just bummed, seeing how it is such a low run book and I do love Witchblade books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
If I had it trimmed

Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
If I had it trimmed

You would be tarred and feathered by the comic book community. Branded as a scoundrel and moral deviant.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia @Gaard Didn't know about that. This is the first year I have started getting books slabbed. If I don't just put this in the box, I will send it in for a raw grade.

Will they verify signatures on raw books as well?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Does the comic have sentimental value?
You could save the money and time and buy more comic books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@drmccoy74 I would if I could find it. The issue is that it is a Convention Exclusive limited to 500. So I am not sure if they all were cut this way, or mine slipped through quality control.

I am just going to put it back in my box of signed / not graded books. I have too many others that I am deciding on now.

But I want to thank everyone for helping me along here. I know I ask a lot of questions, but I want to get a lot more books slabbed. So it is great to gain of all of the wisdom you all share here.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Overhang refers to the outermost cover and how much extra paper there is, past the margin of the book inside. A lot of exclusive covers used to be oversized like this. And it’s up to several people along the way who can decide it’s not safe to slab.
I think the should offer raw grade instead…
to add; it may be a case by case basis too if they feel the process of encapsulating damaging the book or the book being damaged by shifting in the inner well. There are plenty of odd mis-cut books that make into slabs so I don’t think there is a set degree, but rather how the book in hand may be affected.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I have three books by Jay Company (I think) and almost every book I’ve seen by them has been rejected for Overhang.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
I have three books by Jay Company (I think) and almost every book I’ve seen by them has been rejected for Overhang.

I am pretty sure that is where this one came from as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldnt the new magazine dimension work to fit it?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007
Wouldnt the new magazine dimension work to fit it?

The problem isn’t fitting, the problem is the outter cover is bigger than the inside book and any shifting of the book WILL cause some kind of damage to that cover.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Retired_11B I had it happen once a few years ago. I reached out to customer service and they had me send pics of the book. Multiple angles and what not. It was determined to be an error. Not sure why but I think someone had an off day at the office. CBCS covered the grading and shipping on it. Basically, I would recommend getting a second opinion from CBCS. You could try the route I did. Best of luck to you.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Oooh! I can give a second opinion! CBCS doesn't grade or encapsulate "Jay Company" issued books. There's no need for a third opinion.
Post 15 IP   flag post
618083 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?