Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Is higher grade worth a missing corner of the cover??19678

Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
This is a very generalized question to basically see which way most forum members would lean. If buying a non-key Golden Age book, would you rather have a 3.0 for $250 that displays like a nice 3.0 should OR a 4.0 for $400 with much less spine wear, but has a very noticeable 1/2 inch piece out of the top corner?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
I’d rather have spine wear than a missing corner.
Post 2 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Isn’t the answer here “it depends” in the specific case?

In the general case, higher grade is better. Why? Because that spine wear and damage may indicate less structural integrity to the book. Ultimately these are books - bound and intended to be read. So grade hits beyond the pure visual matters (to me).

That said, in the specific case, not all grades display equally and if someone wants wall candy, the answer is obvious. No missing chunk.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
Great info, so far! Thanks!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
for me is a matter of how it looks overall. I have a 8.0 amazing spider-man #4 (first silk) with a corner fold on back. it still looks nice overall. so Id pass a missing corner of cover or spine issues anyday. unless its a holy grail
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
1/2" can be significant, especially if the coloring around the spot is darker, allowing the 1st page to stand out in contrast, so for me it would depend on how unattractive the spine wear is in comparison. If I find myself focusing on several spots as opposed to the one spot in the corner, I might choose the missing corner.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I would rather the spine be beat up than have a missing corner. Writing on the cover could also be a dealbreaker.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Depends how both books look. I'm less worried about a piece missing out of the back cover of a book then the front cover.

If the lower grade book only has spine creases and doesn't have large diagonal creases then maybe the lower grade book.

You can have two different technical grades, sometimes the lower grade book has better eye appeal at first glance so it all depends what you think, what defects and are they on the front or back cover. And ultimately the final price point 👍
Post 8 IP   flag post
618083 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?