Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Any Personal Experience with Hero Restoration?19676

Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
An update: Apparently there are users that now report he continued to take on more work/money after closing submissions.

No books are being returned at the moment due to Mike having Covid (I personally have one book which he promised on Oct 5th to ship soon but I'm still waiting), and being unable to work to earn money to pay to ship out books (I have been told personally by him that he will have to get a part-time job to even attempt to keep the 'shipping department' active at this point).
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
No sympathy here. He took on additional work plus payment for the work, but can't ship them out because he doesn't have money to ship it out? He has no common sense as he keeps repeating the same mistake over and over again.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
@SauceDog thank for the update.

I hate Mike is still going through the chaos of everything; the man needs his health to improve.

I applaud him considering taking on a new job to afford shipping out people’s books, but it sounds more like lip service if he is taking on more work.

Regardless, it’s an ending to an era; I just hope people get their books back ASAP.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Another major update; it seems that even the most patient of the community have had enough not seeing any movement on the return of books and want to start to do something more.

A group survey has been put out asking for anyone who still has books out at Hero Restoration, or has paid them money for services not yet rendered, to submit their info so they can get an idea of the scope of the problem (and in theory either help push for resolution or I imagine also justify legal action if the results shows a large amount of books and money have been taken).

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/529515-hero-restoration-anyone-know-the-latest/?do=findComment&comment=13003093
Post 54 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Buried in that thread is this link to a very interesting 15 year old thread from the origins of Hero Restoration. In hindsight, it gives a preview of the overly thick-skinned, naive and somewhat cavalier attitude of the owner that likely led up to this mess. I think @DrWatson and @SteveRicketts may have even chimed in on this conversation from 2009:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/154218-something-just-seems-off/#comments
Post 55 IP   flag post

Going to pass along a slew of updates I've been given by a few people on the other boards:

Nothing has been resolved over the last month, in fact many clients are now reporting neither Michael DeChellis or anyone at Hero Restoration (if anyone else are left there) are no longer replying to any emails or calls (going back at least two weeks).

A handful of people on the CGC boards compared notes with each other and amongst only that small group (9 people) it was determined amongst themselves are a total of 31 comic books being held by Hero Restoration (includes multiple copies of Amazing Fantasy #15), with a total value exceeding $150,000). Additionally, approximately $30,000usd in funds were paid by this small handful of people to the company to work on those books which has not been done or refunded. These are only the numbers for 9 customers, it is unknown how many other customers or books are involved.

Several customers have filed complaints with the Oregon Department of Justice, who are now encouraging everyone impacted to also submit claims (online at https://justice.oregon.gov/consumercomplaints/ ) in order to justify their attorney reviewing the case in depth.

I have been told by a few of the people involved who complained that it is important to note that if you do file a complaint to specify his name clearly, as the name of the LLC might be different and they have to track the changes in the business over the last few years (as it was found that Mike created a brand new HRC OREGON LLC before dissolving his HERO RESTORATION LLC back in March 2023)
Post 56 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@SauceDog Is MattTheDuck (I think that was the name) still compiling a list of names, books and values for a consolidated list for the authorities? Not asking for me but anyone here who may not have been aware.
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
What a dirtbag that guy is. He's even exploiting his heart attack to dupe people into feeling sorry for him and continues to steal their money.

I'm still disappointed in ComicTom for not doing a video on the situation, since he promoted Hero Restoration's services and should feel an obligation to warn customers about them.
Post 58 IP   flag post
@flanders Agreed; I feel like a fool for feeling any pity for Mike.

ComicTom is a *#%+ing clown; I don’t expect anything above fart joke tier intellect from him. However, you are right: ComicTom (CT) OWES his viewers that much; how much more did Mike steal thanks To CT?
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
@SauceDog Is MattTheDuck (I think that was the name) still compiling a list of names, books and values for a consolidated list for the authorities? Not asking for me but anyone here who may not have been aware.

The community survey is still active, so anyone who still has books out with Hero Restoration is urged to fill it out here: https://r8f0sk8dr88.typeform.com/to/yoKI6552
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
They are good detectives on the other side of the road. Seems like Mike is currently in jail for DUI

https://www.linnsheriff.org/jail/adults-in-custody/view/?id=852052

And @sauceDog has given an update that Mike recently opened a shop and might have been selling books

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/529515-hero-restoration-anyone-know-the-latest/page/18/#comments
Post 61 IP   flag post
@poka whoa whoa whoa whao! WHAT?!
Post 62 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@poka wow..just read some of the stuff going on sounds like @SauceDog is a budding PI!!!
Absolutely crazy and I can't see any good outcomes - hope I'm wrong though

Good luck to anyone with books in this mess
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
not that it help others - i was about to send him a TOS39 back in 2022 where he quoted $3-4k for work eat Tat 18 months - but as he wanted everything up front - i did not submit as those terms were not acceptable to me

Post 64 IP   flag post
"Payment in full starts the clock..."
Tell us more about that clock, Mike.
Post 65 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

He can't at the moment, he's in the slammer.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

He can't at the moment, he's in the slammer.

Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@poka wow..just read some of the stuff going on sounds like @SauceDog is a budding PI!!!
Absolutely crazy and I can't see any good outcomes - hope I'm wrong though

Good luck to anyone with books in this mess

lol it seems the role was hoisted upon me, as everyone kept messaging me about it since they saw me as the closest person to the business (even though I only did casual web development for them years ago as a in-kind trade. I make him a website and he restores my comic...which he still has). In this case some very close and important people that know Mike found my contact information and reached out to me so I could pass along what they knew (as they are not on either boards, nor are they comic collectors).

Just so it is clear here for those not checking out my original post: There is no evidence he is selling customer books, but the people who contacted me and who made the claim had reason to suspect it based on their relationships with him and the current situation. I would normally ignore any such hearsay, but because of where this claim was coming from (I can't reveal who it was, but I was honestly surprised they reached out to me) I took it seriously and was encouraged to share it in case it pushed other customers to take action more seriously and for others to look into this new business closer.
Post 68 IP   flag post
So I guess I better get in front of the big awful claims many might be seeing now.

I've been in talks with Mike since his release from jail, and through our discussions I got him to make returning certain customer books a priority (those who filled out the online survey) - and he actually started to make good on it! I got my books back, and another customer also had his books returned (a total of $60k worth of comics). Several other customer books were also packed up and ready to be mailed this week. So as far as I knew everything was actually moving in a positive direction and Mike was seriously taking action on resolving these problems...

...but then today happened. Some new user on the CGC boards posted some very damaging claims about Mike and the business, including details about him selling customer books on ebay. This was not one of my secret contacts and everything posted is as a surprise to me as it is the rest of the community. I don't know how legit anything they claimed is unfortunately, so can't help verify it one way or another*

* edit: But that won't stop me from trying to help! I'm reaching out to a few people to see if I can connect a few dots. There are a few things said in that post that caught my eye, so I'm going to do some digging and see what I can verify.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
I don't know how legit anything they claimed is unfortunately, so can't help verify it one way or another*

I wouldn't trust the source with a $20 loan, but I would bet money on the story being mostly, if not completely legitimate.
Post 70 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia ditto; this smells fishy as all hell though.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Update. Confirmed that customer books have been sold on ebay, that new source was correct about that claim. The ebay account selling the books has changed its name/handle/image within the last 12 hours, so they are aware of the thread and new revelations.

I have found multiple confirmations of this when speaking with customers who could match and identify their own books listed and sold online (with pictures prior to sending to Hero Restoration to 100% match them with unique markings, which I then matched to customer submission invoices). I have also confirmed that the Amazing Fantasy #15 that the source showed in their text messages was in fact a customers copy, the only person who would have access to that exact book right now to take pictures of it is Mike at Hero Restoration.
Post 72 IP   flag post

Confirmed to be a customers book being offered here in text, the picture is not stolen from anywhere else and that book has been at Hero Restoration for years now. Note that the text mentions he isn't selling this book as it has to 'go back to someone else', well this exact book was the one I was discussing with him weeks ago and got him to make a priority in returning to the customer (was to be mailed out last week, the shipping label was 100% created as well by the post office) - it was packed up and ready to be mailed so he was aware it was one of the AF15s he should not sell since it was accounted for and people knew he had it and that customer was vocal online about getting their property back.
Post 73 IP   flag post
@SauceDog well……Mike is done
Post 74 IP   flag post

Picture of a customer book sold on ebay this month, as well as the customers own instagram post back in 2022 which he mentions sending them off to Hero Restoration (all books in the photo were submitted to HR, which has been confirmed by checking invoices). Note the matching handwriting (also has other matching defects such as small tears exactly in the same spot on the cover - it is 100% a match)

EDIT UPDATE:

Apparently the listing was in error and Mike still has the book. It was never sold and he mixed it up with another copy he was trying to sell. he sent me this photo today proving it is still accounted for.

Post 75 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I'm Mike D, and I get respect
your cash and your comics is what I expect.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Not really the topic - but why in the world you restore those books? They would all fetch good money in a blue label slab.
Post 78 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Hero restoration supposedly did pressing and such. It wasn't just restoration. I asked them to do work on my tales of suspense first iron man
Thankfully they said no grade bump would occur and suggested I leave it be.
Post 79 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I really wonder why people do this sort of stuff.....you're going to get caught. No matter how smart you are, you will not outsmart an entire community of people....especially hobbyists who love their books. They're bloodhounds at the first inkling of something going awry.

It is never ever worth it but it continues to happen. Crazy.
Post 80 IP   flag post
616095 115 30