Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Any Personal Experience with Hero Restoration?19676

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Think he is a good guy who chose to expand at the wrong time - threw all his money into the expansion - which didn't work out. let all people go while trying to do everything himself - causing him to get a heart attack, and just way over his head with everything now while waiting to get a bypass
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
@poka honestly: he just needs to get the operation before anything else happens at this point. I do worry the guy is guna die from a heart attack or something.
Post 27 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
that thread just keeps getting worse for him. You can watch public opinion about HR shifting more and more every time he posts.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
I was reading a little of it, turned into a dumpster fire pretty quickly.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Retired_11B and Mike keeps dumping diesel fuel and tires into that fire
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnight

Honestly? Mike could have turned this around if he had approached the community asking for help and being honest about his screw up (I think).

Cnight, I believe yuu are right. I think the majority of people would help/understand, but you will always have a few that would not.

I have never used this type of service but I am sure it is stressful to send out a high dollar book, a lot of money, and expecting a fair return on your investment.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Think he is a good guy who chose to expand at the wrong time - threw all his money into the expansion - which didn't work out. let all people go while trying to do everything himself - causing him to get a heart attack, and just way over his head with everything now while waiting to get a bypass

Agreed.

I don’t see any need to pile on in the CGC thread.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder

I don’t see any need to pile on in the CGC thread.

Well on the bright side that won't be possible any longer, as the thread has been locked after it escalated
Post 33 IP   flag post
What on earth?! It escalated MORE?!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Holy hell! I thought it had already devolved into anarchy before but crap: that went WAY off the rails.
Post 35 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Dude seems textbook bipolar.
Post 36 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
There are times that it is best to stay quiet. Mike would have been better off if he had just stayed quiet and kept working instead of spending time on long replies.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
At one point I started to feel sympathy for the guy, but after many more posts it's apparent that he's a liar and a total fraud. He seems to have brought all of his problems upon himself and I can't say I blame his wife for leaving him (why did it take 30 years?). I hope the customers are able to get their books and money back, even if it's years from now in court.
Post 38 IP   flag post
@CFP_Comics Mike would have saved himself alot of face value and reputation points by just staying out of that chat; I feel bad for how everything he tried to build has gone down the toilet now. At this point though, he’s just added fuel to the fire for anyone to pursue him in a legal capacity.

@flanders I was right there with ya, but the guy definitely ended up being his own worst enemy. I want to think Mike just came apart after watching everything he built imploding, but regardless: he looks like anything BUT an honest business man at this point. That entire thread is nothing but ammunition for anyone to go after him now.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Nobody is going to get their money back. A few who recognized the situation and took early action are getting their books back. Most likely those who haven't got their books back by now will not see their books any time soon...if at all.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yea, at this point: Mike is going to be a thief just out of spite for many most likely.

Which is a shame……someone is going to ruin their life and health while ruining people’s collection as well.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I'm clueless when it comes to bankruptcy law. Are your personal assets protected even if you commit felony grand theft?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnight
@EbayMafia yea, at this point: Mike is going to be a thief just out of spite for many most likely.

Which is a shame……someone is going to ruin their life and health while ruining people’s collection as well.

He is definitely getting himself worked up to a point where he can probably rationalize just about anything he chooses to do at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@EbayMafia I'm clueless when it comes to bankruptcy law. Are your personal assets protected even if you commit felony grand theft?

Not sure, my best guess is that if he can't account for other people's property then it could be assumed that his personal assets were purchased through proceeds of liquidating those assets and could be at risk.
Post 43 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The theft, bankruptcy, and a pending divorce would create a lawyer's wet dream of a litigation mess and would probably have to be approached individually as the outcome of one would affect the others. Makes my head hurt just to entertain the idea.

It took years to extricate myself from a business partnership with a lazy ass would be friend and his screeching harpy wife. I can only imagine the ride in store for the Hero Restoration fellow. It makes my balls hurt.
Post 44 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Nobody is going to get their money back. A few who recognized the situation and took early action are getting their books back. Most likely those who haven't got their books back by now will not see their books any time soon...if at all.

Quite possible. My parents lent money to someone who ended up filing for bankruptcy. After notifying the court of the $20,000 debt owed and waiting a couple of years for everything to be sorted, they finally received about $4,500 for their trouble.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

In Canada...Ontario anyway, your personal assets are not protected in bankruptcy cases. You can and will be sued for your personal assets.
Post 46 IP   flag post
From my understanding in the US: if you’ve committed a crime that involves someone else’s property or well being; then bankruptcy doesn’t guard against your assets being seized to fill your duty of recompense.

However, where you fall in the list of creditors is another matter…………and you can’t get blood from a stone.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Just an update, some customers of Hero Restoration I've spoken with have received a note with their books returned stating the operation is now 'closed permanently'.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Hero Restoration Home page:

Post 49 IP   flag post
Last one out; get the lights……
Post 50 IP   flag post
An update: Apparently there are users that now report he continued to take on more work/money after closing submissions.

No books are being returned at the moment due to Mike having Covid (I personally have one book which he promised on Oct 5th to ship soon but I'm still waiting), and being unable to work to earn money to pay to ship out books (I have been told personally by him that he will have to get a part-time job to even attempt to keep the 'shipping department' active at this point).
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
No sympathy here. He took on additional work plus payment for the work, but can't ship them out because he doesn't have money to ship it out? He has no common sense as he keeps repeating the same mistake over and over again.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@SauceDog thank for the update.

I hate Mike is still going through the chaos of everything; the man needs his health to improve.

I applaud him considering taking on a new job to afford shipping out people’s books, but it sounds more like lip service if he is taking on more work.

Regardless, it’s an ending to an era; I just hope people get their books back ASAP.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Another major update; it seems that even the most patient of the community have had enough not seeing any movement on the return of books and want to start to do something more.

A group survey has been put out asking for anyone who still has books out at Hero Restoration, or has paid them money for services not yet rendered, to submit their info so they can get an idea of the scope of the problem (and in theory either help push for resolution or I imagine also justify legal action if the results shows a large amount of books and money have been taken).

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/529515-hero-restoration-anyone-know-the-latest/?do=findComment&comment=13003093
Post 54 IP   flag post
Buried in that thread is this link to a very interesting 15 year old thread from the origins of Hero Restoration. In hindsight, it gives a preview of the overly thick-skinned, naive and somewhat cavalier attitude of the owner that likely led up to this mess. I think @DrWatson and @SteveRicketts may have even chimed in on this conversation from 2009:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/154218-something-just-seems-off/#comments
Post 55 IP   flag post
616095 115 30