Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Any Personal Experience with Hero Restoration?19676

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
This is a big topic over at the CGC forum, with the general consensus being to stay away from any of their services, not just restoration. I'm posting this as a heads up to anyone that wants to avoid dealing with a nightmare, but I'm also interested in knowing if there are any positive stories out there.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/522786-hero-restoration-books-not-being-returned/

https://herorestorationcomics.com/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Darn it, I just shipped off all my AF15’s and Superman 1’s to them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia

We all know most of those are @Heinzdad's
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

We all know most of those are @Heinzdad's
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I sent some books to HR for pressing back in 2015 or 2016. No problems but it seems times have changed as Sauce Dog pointed out over there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Cnight private msg quote post Address this user
Had books sent in the past year and it took 6 months. Mind you: I paid for the expedited work.

However, they said they were just overrun and so I let it slide. I wish I had requested them back and sent them to Joey; once the books got to the graders and I got them back: the books looked like no one had touched them in any way. They were clean mind you; but every crease and pressable defect was still present.

They used to have a great reputation from what I read, but it looks like it’s game over now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Damn….just read the post on the CGC boards….oh my dear lord that poor guy……
Post 7 IP   flag post
If you look at the post from Sunday at 1:54 AM you see the exact moment where the business owner lost all of his allies and remaining supporters. A lesson in how not to respond in a difficult situation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnight
Damn….just read the post on the CGC boards….oh my dear lord that poor guy……

Which guy? There's multiple poor guys on that post...the owner, multiple customers, me after being chewed out by him for blabbering too much.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
If you look at the post from Sunday at 1:54 AM you see the exact moment where the business owner lost all of his allies and remaining supporters

Haha, yea that's when he started lashing out at everyone, including me. He has some good points though.
Post 10 IP   flag post
All of the guys 🤣🤣🤣

Making a joke out of a serious situation; this thing is a ground zero catastrophe.

I’m at page 10 of the forum at the moment; let me skip to the end.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well…….he certainly jumped the shark…..

Looked like Sauce Dog even bailed on him.
Post 12 IP   flag post
One thing I learned from the thread is that trimming and color touch are nothing compared to the the more serious restoration that goes on. They almost shouldn’t even be considered in the same category. Certainly shouldn’t have anywhere near the same negative effect on value.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
That's a dumpster fire over there. And he keeps throwing customers' mega-key issues onto the fire.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@chester15 true; that’s some expensive kindling.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
If you look at the post from Sunday at 1:54 AM you see the exact moment where the business owner lost all of his allies and remaining supporters

Haha, yea that's when he started lashing out at everyone, including me. He has some good points though.

I was thinking more of him posting the TOS which indicated that he has the right to keep your books indefinitely and you have no recourse. Even though it was cut-and-pasted from CGC TOS, it buried him.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia yea that was brutal; like watching an entire gazelle jump INTO a meat grinder.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I live driving distance from the owner and have met him in person. He's a nice guy and got me grade bumps on a couple silver age keys I gave him that had not been pressed before. Took a little longer than the stated TAT, but from what I've heard he had some health issues and has fallen behind a lot on TATs? I had thought about submitting some more big keys for restoration removal, but I feel a little too nervous now.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@EbayMafia - WTF. Why would you bother sending Alpha Flight 15’s?. 😉
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:

@EbayMafia - WTF. Why would you bother sending Alpha Flight 15’s?. 😉

@Scifinator Choose your favorite answer:
1) It's something I learned from you..."Press em all, let God sort em out!"
2) Because, Namor cover! MCU baby!

BTW, that Hero Restoration thread seems to take a turn for the worse each day.
Post 20 IP   flag post
He started responding again after a few days, is essentially saying he's a good guy and has good intentions and expects that to be enough.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia I’d go with number 1 @Scifinator

I think Hero is buried and dead at this point though……
Post 22 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
The strange irony of it all is that his situation is fixable, but he is too busy playing victim instead.

I mean if I was in HR's situation, and I had a heart attack, I would ask for help contacting my clients and give them an update. And with both this, as well as the downsizing scenario, I would put an absolute pause while I try to find a way to campaign for whatever amount of funds are needed to just get the allowed submissions to be done.

It's not that hard since there are sites that'll sell t-shirts people design for campaigns. With stuff like that, atop of other campaign sites, could have allowed him to rehire a few people that can do these types of jobs. Stuff that would allow an apology to be made, or even just find a way to do what is right. Stuff that people who are not going for a "one and done" business need to consider!

But this guy? He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. With him being the victim while he also snubs those who are trying to work with him through his situation. Possibly even going as far as to act like they either are not there, or they are trying to conspire against him. Which he has with Mike, and those he claims cannot use legal action against his business (or him).

With the only upside being is that Flanders82 has the type of mustache that makes me want to sign up over there just to see it in action.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant_Subtitles
But this guy? He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly.

lol, I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'll probably reuse it at some point.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I’m stealing the mayo remark for sure @Instant_Subtitles

Honestly? Mike could have turned this around if he had approached the community asking for help and being honest about his screw up (I think).

However, at this point: Hero is dead; there is no way he has any reputation anymore. He didn’t do squat with my books, but at least I got them back. You better be d@mn sure though: I’m not suggesting him to anyone ever again.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Think he is a good guy who chose to expand at the wrong time - threw all his money into the expansion - which didn't work out. let all people go while trying to do everything himself - causing him to get a heart attack, and just way over his head with everything now while waiting to get a bypass
Post 26 IP   flag post
@poka honestly: he just needs to get the operation before anything else happens at this point. I do worry the guy is guna die from a heart attack or something.
Post 27 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
that thread just keeps getting worse for him. You can watch public opinion about HR shifting more and more every time he posts.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
I was reading a little of it, turned into a dumpster fire pretty quickly.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Retired_11B and Mike keeps dumping diesel fuel and tires into that fire
Post 30 IP   flag post
614864 113 30