Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1619608

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
@Retired_11B Cool cover. Cool wife!!!!
Post 152 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel
@Retired_11B Cool cover. Cool wife!!!!

Thanks I appreciate it. And her, lol.
Post 153 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 154 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I've got one of those. Welcome to the Steranko First Pro Work club!
Post 155 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

Actually I got this book because of your comment.

Of course the sellers version of Fine vs CGC was a bit different. =(
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross Thank God Dr. Strange is there to warn people not to follow the beckoning of the pus-yellow, scaly, slime-covered hand with ragged claws for nails. I mean, otherwise how would they know?
Post 157 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Of course the sellers version of Fine vs CGC was a bit different. =(

Apparently so. But getting it signed makes the biggest difference.
Post 158 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I know Ploog is supposed to be some sort of art genius, but that cover is atrocious.
Post 159 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Ploog is a genius.
Post 160 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
@southerncross Thank God Dr. Strange is there to warn people not to follow the beckoning of the pus-yellow, scaly, slime-covered hand with ragged claws for nails. I mean, otherwise how would they know?

Yeah, cause it looks like without his warning they were all pretty anxious to step into the parlour.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Ploog is a genius.

You're thinking of Frank Brunner.
Post 162 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@CatCovers I know right.

@DrWatson yep, I didn't buy the book for the cover, just the condition. The LCS calls this grade a VF+ so it's why I buy.

I'm hoping the story inside is good.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Two more winged their way into the collection:

Post 164 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@CatCovers I know right.

@DrWatson yep, I didn't buy the book for the cover, just the condition. The LCS calls this grade a VF+ so it's why I buy.

I'm hoping the story inside is good.

I wasn't knocking your book specifically. Art is subjective. When Bill Sienkiewicz took over the New Mutants, I thought the book was ruined. I remember picking up the first issue Rob Liefeld drew and thought, "Man, now this is art."
Post 165 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Art is subjective. That's a great take. I'm definitely in the minority here but I'm not crazy about Jack Kirby. I know he's on the top of alot of people's lists as GOAT. I can't consider you the best when you can't draw half of the human population. I like Cardy and Adams much more.

Post 166 IP   flag post
I've never been a fan of Ditko's work, and caught hell for it.
Post 167 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I've never been a fan of Ditko's work, and caught hell for it.
Yes. Marvel couldn't draw a female until Romita Sr.
Post 168 IP   flag post
I like Kirby's Silver Age art, but I don't care for his Bronze Age work. You're right in saying that his art doesn't play as well once one has been exposed to the "better" late Silver Age and Bronze artists.
Post 169 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@drmccoy74, I once posted the same thing about Kirby’s work, and got roasted along the line of @DrWatson with Ditko.
Post 170 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Romita Sr. was most certainly a definitive comic book artist.
Post 171 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I like Kirby's Silver Age art, but I don't care for his Bronze Age work. You're right in saying that his art doesn't play as well once one has been exposed to the "better" late Silver Age and Bronze artists.

I think his style calcified.
Post 172 IP   flag post
@James42 Is that the same thing as stagnated?
Post 173 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Art is subjective. That's a great take. I'm definitely in the minority here but I'm not crazy about Jack Kirby.

I'm not a fan of Kirby art and even less a fan of his writing. In my one conversation with Jim Steranko (while paying for autographs) he talked about Kirby as a gifted "natural" artist (as opposed to those who
needed technical training and art school). He said that Kirby could just sit down and draw, starting with a torso and going out from there. While Steranko had to plan out everything in advance. It's a quaint notion, the "natural artist"...but the lack of discipline definitely shows.
Post 174 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Art is subjective. That's a great take. I'm definitely in the minority here but I'm not crazy about Jack Kirby. I know he's on the top of alot of people's lists as GOAT. I can't consider you the best when you can't draw half of the human population. I like Cardy and Adams much more.

Nick Cardy is *SO SO SO* underrated.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Loved their work on Aquaman.
Post 176 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Lack of discipline? The guy only sat at the drawing board for 14+ hours a day for decades on end....producing several pages per day....a herculean feat then and now. If anybody was disciplined and dedicated it was Jack.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967

Agreed. I've been noticing Nick Cardy a lot as I focus on artistically impressive covers at low prices.
Post 178 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

I need to pick up Witching Hour #5 and his Spectre covers one of these days.
Post 179 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders @EbayMafia Check out his Teen Titans covers. That's all I'm gonna say. 🙂
Post 180 IP   flag post
615415 999 30