Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1619608

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Got an unexpected surprise from Shortboxed this morning.

Not sure if this is a thank you for buying the ASM #3 from them, or an apology for the book needing a re-holder upon arrival?

Either way, I love the minimalist design. While I’m not normally a beanie guy, I’ll definitely wear this.

Post 901 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Signed by Anthony Daniels "C3PO"

A big thank you to Jon Jespersen, JJ's Comics, order_66 on eBay.

Post 902 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys. Been a while. I hope you all had a great Holiday and Wonderful New Year!

Thought I'd share a few recent comics I got for my personal collection.

GI Joe #1 Signed by Larry Hama and Bob McLeod

Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Signed by Jim Shooter, Bob Layton, and Janet Jackson.

First Appearance of Zartan.

First Appearance of Destro.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

Post 903 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
just completed the order from MCS - will be in hand in a few weeks?
This was not the grail I was hoping for
I was selling books the last year and leaving the credit to save for an Iron Man #1 in 9.0 to pair with my Sub-Mariner #1 in 9.0 and my signed Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1 in 9.0

BUT....the price on this was too good....and after my credit it was even better
I let a 7.5 and 8.0 slide back in 2019/2020....figured I needed to jump on this? even with all the issues at CGC right now - most I've ever spent on a book!!! (by like a factor of 3 and a bit even with the credit )
gonna get nailed with duties too!!!!....oh well

Looks even better now that it is in hand...even arrived while my wife wasn't home - win!!!!
Duties were less than I thought too!!

Post 904 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics massive book!! congrats!!!
Post 905 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@KatKomics massive book!! congrats!!!

thanks! - only possible due to selling books and leaving the credit at MCS
I don't sell much so it took about a year to build up enough to get close...will have to try this again for other 'grails'?
Post 906 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I read on the CGC forum that those aren't worth anything any more? Just kidding. I've been thinking about starting a thread on why Hulk 181 is so important, and Wolverine was such an important catalyst character for comic books.
Post 907 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@KatKomics I read on the CGC forum that those aren't worth anything any more? Just kidding. I've been thinking about starting a thread on why Hulk 181 is so important, and Wolverine was such an important catalyst character for comic books.

lol!! maybe I should have waited for the CGC price drop due to recent events?
I seriously gave thought about having MCS send it over to get re-graded by CBCS...if only because then I could have CBCS send it back to me and then claim it was a grading submission and then no duties to get applied (I have evil thoughts sometimes)
MCS shipping is so much less than CBCS though and in the end the duties were only a few $$ more than grading would have been
Post 908 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Not only is Bronze Age horror just plain awesome, but you can still get the books in great shape for dirt cheap.

Post 909 IP   flag post
A local shop posted the Wonder Woman on their Facebook page for a very fair price. I was just headed out to lunch with my friend, so, we stopped in after a bite to eat and I snagged it for the wife’s collection. I coincidentally stumbled on a Cap 110 as well. Which has been on my list for way too long.

My friend also got a Harley Quinn statue as a future anniversary gift for his girl. A win all around. Stock pic for reference.

Post 910 IP   flag post
Just got this pic from a buddy of mine.

He was attending an Anime Con, and was kind enough to let me know that John DiMaggio, who voices “Bender” on “Futurama” was going to be there.

With his signature added, alongside Billy West, Phil Lamar, & Lauren Tom, the only main cast member I’m missing is Katey Sagal. But I’ll probably add Maurice LaMarche, since he does the voices for a lot of side characters & he’s fairly regular at our local con.
Post 911 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
This is my second favorite Archie innuendo cover (next to #78), and has been on my wish list for a long time. So when I saw an affordable, albeit low-grade, copy of it, I didn’t hesitate to purchase it. Don’t you think Betty looks good as a redhead?

Post 912 IP   flag post
@esaravo Hadn’t seen this one before. Nice score.

#78 is pretty wild. 😆
Post 913 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
All books signed by Frank Cho.

Post 914 IP   flag post
Collector Stonecollector private msg quote post Address this user
Came home and it was at my door, I knew I ordered it ,they took my money but they never sent me a tracking number or routing code.just showed up,Odd but still happy

Post 915 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoes10
All books signed by Frank Cho.

I love Liberty Meadows so much. I really think it's his best work.
Post 916 IP   flag post
Not the era I typically collect, but a fun display piece I was able to pay for almost entirely with store credit.

Post 917 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Never before noticed just how enormous Spidey's foot is on this cover. Shaquille O'Neal is dainty by comparison. And what's up with his heel?

Not an easy book to get a 9.8 in, though. Those extra-thick Spideys from the '90s almost always have bindery tears on the spine.
Post 918 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user

Post 919 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@poka That's nice!
Post 920 IP   flag post
@CatCovers I hadn’t noticed how disproportionate Spidey’s foot looks until you pointed it out.

Perhaps a misstep (pun intended) by the artist to make the page look more balanced, keeping Venom & Spidey closer in scale?

When the fact that Venom is significantly larger has been long established.
Post 921 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

The closest I'll get to owning ASM #3.
Post 922 IP   flag post
I’m a sucker for anything vintage that’s Howard the Duck related.

I saw this 7-11 glass from 1977 on e-bay & the seller just kept dropping the price. When I shot him an offer, he asked if I wanted to just pick it up? I hadn’t noticed he’s local. 😆

Post 923 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
My 2nd to last CGC submission.
When I get my last submission back from them that was already in the queue before the shenanigans, I'm done with CGC until they do something with their tamper security and/or cases.
The Buck Rogers is the only real goodie.
Pretty cool with Chilly Willy #1 (Four Color). Loved that character

Will be concentrating on my boatload of VSP books with CBCS for the near future. I don't need questions from potential buyers on my CGC books like "Dear Sir, Are you the original submitter? I just want to make sure books weren't swapped. Can you provide proof?, Any tampering that you can see sir". No no no - I don't need that aggravation

Post 924 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 I'm partial to that "Mighty Heroes" #1.
Post 925 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
@00slim Never before noticed just how enormous Spidey's foot is on this cover. Shaquille O'Neal is dainty by comparison. And what's up with his heel?

Not an easy book to get a 9.8 in, though. Those extra-thick Spideys from the '90s almost always have bindery tears on the spine.

that's why a much younger (and stupider) me would buy two of the foil books off the shelf back in the day - one to read and one to keep NM/M! - they got me when I was young with foil covers etc....no more!! I will not fall for the variant trap!
Post 926 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Thrilled to add this one:

Post 927 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave - Sweet book! Congratulations.

Post 928 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Davethebrave - Sweet book! Congratulations.

Thanks, Ed!
Post 929 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks everyone for your help!!!!! If anyone wants to spend anymore of my money for me turn up a Jaime Delano signed Hellblazer!

Post 930 IP   flag post
619265 999 30