Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1619608

He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Long story behind this pick-up. And not a cheap one in the end.

Long story short, I went from having a CBCS 9.2 newsstand to figuring out what I want for my collection. With me getting this trying to get a 9.4 that might be able to be pressed into a 9.6. Only to get a 9.6 for a great price because the 9.4 I did buy was double sold. With me hoping that if I do decide to get it pressed and cross-grade it will at least stay a 9.6.

Other than that... Glad to have the #1 key I needed for my Rogue run.

Post 51 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Two Danish editions by way of Hong Kong (thanks Keld).

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up a couple mid-grade goodies while visiting friends in Washington this last weekend.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo you are welcome
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Not thrilled about the slab, but the price was right.

Post 55 IP   flag post

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

kinda cool, won this from Bry's grail box of mystery. With shipping $280.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

kinda cool, won this from Bry's grail box of mystery. With shipping $280.

You dog. You're like a comic book magnet. Did you have to at least buy more than one mystery box...or was it on the first try?
Post 57 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia lol, just one
Post 58 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 59 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 very nice. Have a copy at cgc now, about half that grade
Post 60 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 61 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
I can't overstate how excited I am to add this true foreign grail to my personal collection. This is O Gury #1 from Brazil in 1940, the first foreign edition of Planet Comics #1 also from 1940. Amazing Will Eisner and Lou Fine cover, the 1st appearance and origin of Auro, the lord of Jupiter. Only single digits known to exist and this is complete with vibrant colors still. Tied for 96th on Overstreets top 100 Golden Age Comics. Pre war foreign editions are extremely hard to find even commons of, let alone a mega grail like this.

Post 62 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@DWeeB1967 very nice. Have a copy at cgc now, about half that grade
Thanks, @Batman66. These don't seem to pop up in high grade very often. So when I found this one at a fair price I jumped on it.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@HotKeyComics It looks nice but, it's difficult to tell how much restoration has been done. The lower left corner appears to be a piece that has been added along with a portion of the spine. I don't know if it would be a good candidate for slabbing but, it is a good piece for a personal collection. Congratulations!

Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
I can't overstate how excited I am to add this true foreign grail to my personal collection. This is O Gury #1 from Brazil in 1940, the first foreign edition of Planet Comics #1 also from 1940. Amazing Will Eisner and Lou Fine cover, the 1st appearance and origin of Auro, the lord of Jupiter. Only single digits known to exist and this is complete with vibrant colors still. Tied for 96th on Overstreets top 100 Golden Age Comics. Pre war foreign editions are extremely hard to find even commons of, let alone a mega grail like this.

I watched your live unboxing this morning, congrats.
@krazy4comics
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up my son’s duplicates. Good reading and art ahead!

Post 66 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
@HotKeyComics It looks nice but, it's difficult to tell how much restoration has been done. The lower left corner appears to be a piece that has been added along with a portion of the spine. I don't know if it would be a good candidate for slabbing but, it is a good piece for a personal collection.
Congratulations!

Thanks!
Yep its a trimmed copy and had a little work done, those factors are usually important but don't mean anything to me on grails like this. Just owning one in any condition is extremely tough and I don't regret it in the least. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise lol
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

I had this book at 9.6-8, so I was miffed at the 9.2. Sure enough, the graders liked me enough to add a few finger dents for me.

Who the hell even opens a comic there?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
I just upgradee my TOS #52 from a CGC 2.5 to a CBCS 3.0. The whiz comics #7 was too good a deal to pass up. I'm gonna make a sell/trade post for the CGC 2.5 TOS #52 in a bit.

Post 69 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Less than 1000 per Comichron.
Adam Hughes signing
9.6 is highest signed on census
9.4 is tied for 2nd (2 total)

A not-so-well-known Hughes cover

Post 70 IP   flag post
Yeah, those are cool.
Post 71 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@starlord

If you are interested in modern books for trade of that tos 52 cgc let me know.
Post 72 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

A not-so-well-known Hughes cover

May be due to the poor placement of that U.S. pouch.
Post 73 IP   flag post

Post 74 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it would be a good idea to start a Phoenix/Phoenix Force focus. (With me debating if I should have it pressed/re-graded after I read the notes.)

And for those who have read Grant Morrison's "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc (New X-Men #151-154), the second story in this issue is a prelude to what was seen at the end of that story.

Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thought this was humorously inappropriate, or at least enough to have some collecting value as a snapshot of a different era.

Post 76 IP   flag post

picked up the savage tales well under fmv. Shipped the other books to get reholdered a couple of Kirby and a couple of Stan sigs. The X-men 130 is a heartbreaker, the facilitator for the Claremont signing had him sign the cover, I had specifically told them 1st page with Byrne and Austin. Ugh, his defilement of a beautiful cover is horrible.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Please allow me to vent about the trade I made today. The verbal agreement was me receiving a 6.0 copy of this book. He walked in with the graded copy and a raw copy today,(I got burned on purchasing the raw copy from the same guy). In his ideal world he would have both graded to choose the lowest copy to trade me, both have which would have gone thru my lab. My advice on the raw copy was expected as well. Guy made me an offer of cash and the raw copy. It wasn't really what I was hoping for but I accepted with spite as my only motive. I have to pull a 6.5 out of this to piss him the hell off as he stated he would be. Good luck to me.......

Post 78 IP   flag post
Good luck. But I'd say stop dealing with the a@@hole if you can help it. Stress isn't worth it
Post 79 IP   flag post
Burning him will be worth it. He's finally backed off with me having the last move.
Post 80 IP   flag post
619265 999 30