Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1619608

Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post

Post 27 IP   flag post

Post 28 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I picked these up at a recent MCS auction. I always liked Darkman as a kid and now that I've discovered there are 3 movies, I might have to do a movie and comic marathon one of these days.

A relative of mine happened to be dating Smiley around the time the movie came out and I was star struck after I recognized him. He was nice enough to give me a signed headshot, but unfortunately I no longer have it. I might have to try to pick one up on ebay (if they exist), just for the novelty of being able to say, "I have a signed headshot of Smiley from Darkman!!".

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea the Martian Manhunter also wrote pulp stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii

Post 30 IP   flag post

@CatCovers LOL!!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user

just got these back
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user

Violator is signed by bart sears and mark pennington.

cool books all.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of covers that struck me as better than average:

Filling in some holes from my teenage What If? run:

Rumors of Movie and new TV show from one of my favorites:

@flanders putting thoughts in my head:

Post 34 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia leave some for the rest of us.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@EbayMafia leave some for the rest of us.

@flanders I'm sure you know this, there's just some comfort in owning multiples of books that we think we might sell one day. Over time we learn that we don't like being in the position of having to decide between taking a profit and holding on to the only copy we own. Especially with books that can be picked up cheap at time of purchase.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user

I picked up some at Frank & Sons, and some in Victorville CA today. I actually purchased my first UK comic (it was only $1). The Sub-Mariner and the Weird Mystery look good enough to send out to grading.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Retired_11B you have good taste. I own a few of those too, although my Lady Death isn't nearly as cool since it's unsigned.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B

I picked up some at Frank & Sons, and some in Victorville CA today. I actually purchased my first UK comic (it was only $1). The Sub-Mariner and the Weird Mystery look good enough to send out to grading.

Glad you made it to Frank & Sons! I think it's pretty cool.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@sportshort It was pretty amazing. I am glad everyone told me about it, and to arrive early. By opening the line was almost around the building. I think there were 9 comic vendors there, and also a few people that were trying to sell books on the side.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@flanders I am a Lady Death fan as well. I love the artwork and the awesome covers they put out. I have a Lady Death: Alive #1 Premium that came back with a CGC 9.8. I try and pick them up as much as I can, along with Witchblade, Dawn, Shi, etc.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Newly graded magazines...

Post 42 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 43 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Two new additions. It took a while to find a nicely wrapped 169 that didn't have the "N" cut off without a front to back miswrap.

Post 44 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson, I thought that's the way they all came. Here are the two I bought off the rack as a kid. They both have the "N" cut off.

Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@DrWatson, I thought that's the way they all came. Here are the two I bought off the rack as a kid. They both have the "N" cut off.

I was meaning the N at the end of FALLEN on 169. It's notorious for being cut off.

I didn't even realize the 163 had a cut N in the logo. I fared even better than I thought. Thanks!
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

I was meaning the N at the end of FALLEN on 169. It's notorious for being cut off.

I didn't even realize the 163 had a cut N in the logo. I fared even better than I thought. Thanks!

You can understand my confusion. My 169 is the same as yours. I guess I dodged that bullet.

Post 47 IP   flag post
A lot of them look like this, or worse:

Post 48 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 49 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Per my standard MO the covers are about a 8.0 to 8.5 max:

The content however...
Post 50 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Long story behind this pick-up. And not a cheap one in the end.

Long story short, I went from having a CBCS 9.2 newsstand to figuring out what I want for my collection. With me getting this trying to get a 9.4 that might be able to be pressed into a 9.6. Only to get a 9.6 for a great price because the 9.4 I did buy was double sold. With me hoping that if I do decide to get it pressed and cross-grade it will at least stay a 9.6.

Other than that... Glad to have the #1 key I needed for my Rogue run.

Post 51 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Two Danish editions by way of Hong Kong (thanks Keld).

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up a couple mid-grade goodies while visiting friends in Washington this last weekend.

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo you are welcome
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Not thrilled about the slab, but the price was right.

Post 55 IP   flag post
619266 999 30