Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

New to Your Collection #1619608

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Now all I need to complete my Thor J.I.M. run is #83, 85, 86, 89, 90.
Those first two probably won't happen. If I could afford those, I'd probably get FF #4 and/or #5 instead.

Post 426 IP   flag post
Collector Firegoof19 private msg quote post Address this user

Signed by Carey Jones. He played Man Thing in the Werewolf by Night one shot.
Post 427 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Been waiting a while to find one these for a reasonable price. Finally pulled the trigger. Not happy with the 9.6 grade, other than that nothing to complain about.

Post 428 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesidio
Been waiting a while to find one these for a reasonable price. Finally pulled the trigger. Not happy with the 9.6 grade, other than that nothing to complain about.

it's the infamous Blue Galactus Variant as well!!!
Grinding people's gears 🤣
Post 429 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Quote:

That's why I picked it up. Most sellers are looking and have been looking for 350+ for a 9.8. Picked this one up for much less than half of that
Post 430 IP   flag post

I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I picked it up. Most sellers are looking and have been looking for 350+ for a 9.8. Picked this one up for much less than half of that
I remember as a kid buying these off the spinner at 7-eleven. The Marvel No-Prize was big with readers. I remember in a letters section Marvel saying he was blue from the rays from the beyonder or something like that. They wouldn't give a no-prize. Probably just a printing defect but like Hienz Dad said. Most copies newsstand and direct are like this. At least all the ones I have run across.
Post 431 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
🤬
Post 432 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I remember as a kid buying these off the spinner at 7-eleven. The Marvel No-Prize was big with readers. I remember in a letters section Marvel saying he was blue from the rays from the beyonder or something like that. They wouldn't give a no-prize. Probably just a printing defect but like Hienz Dad said. Most copies newsstand and direct are like this. At least all the ones I have run across.

It's all depends on what part of the country you were in. In South eastern Michigan at the time the variant was hard to come by. With no Internet to speak of at the time most LCS and dealers were asking 50 USD plus. And the 50 dollar ones those prices were for fine to fine minus copies.
Post 433 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Pickups from a rare trip to the LCS

Post 434 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Being inspired by a thread from @BigRedOne1944 a while back, I got a little help from @esaravo for some American Flagg comics. Thank you!

Post 435 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad @cesidio Secret Wars was a phenomenon when it came out. To have an "error" in the first issue could have been a money grab similar to the "1987 FLEER Billy Ripken "error" card with countless variations

Post 436 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
Just came back from the Elvira signing. Woohoo!

Post 437 IP   flag post
A variant is a different cover. A variant inside a book would also be something done with purpose. I just happen to believe the word variant doesn’t apply to this. That is unless one believes it was done on purpose to illustrate the power and light the Beyonder gives off. Except, all those panels are colored like that and others thru out the book. Anyways, I’m not trying to be a deush here to @cesidio, nice pick up! But yes, this truly grinds my gears.
Post 438 IP   flag post
Quote:
@HeinzDad @cesidio Secret Wars was a phenomenon when it came out. To have an "error" in the first issue could have been a money grab similar to the "1987 FLEER Billy Ripken "error" card with countless variations

I follow. I would like to ask this then. Is it a new marketing ploy labeling it “Blue Galactus Variant? It’s never been labeled by the CGC and CBCS only recently started doing it from what I read. I see it as creating buzz for a book that is the most common of all the secret wars #1.
Post 439 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
A gift from Mike Royer. And I forgot to ask him to sign it Next time. However, it is signed by the late Barry Geller.

Heavy Metal Lord of Light "Action Figure". From the Artwork of Jack Kirby and Mike Royer; The same artwork used by the CIA in their ruse to free the Americans hiding in the Canadian Embassy in Iran during the hostage crisis.

Post 440 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:

I follow. I would like to ask this then. Is it a new marketing ploy labeling it “Blue Galactus Variant? It’s never been labeled by the CGC and CBCS only recently started doing it from what I read. I see it as creating buzz for a book that is the most common of all the secret wars #1.
I can't really answer that because every copy I have seen direct or newsstand has had a blue Galactus panel.
Post 441 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't really answer that because every copy I have seen direct or newsstand has had a blue Galactus panel.
You can and you did.
Post 442 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad I googled this

Post 443 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But yes, this truly grinds my gears.

Looks like you've been getting all riled up for no reason. Sounds like the story of my life.
Post 444 IP   flag post
I read something like this as well. I thought all first prints were blue. All second prints are corrected so my feeble mind would suggest finding a first print regular color Galactus would be the book a collector would want.

I do however stick to the notion of an error and not a variant. @drmccoy74, I didn’t mean to drag you into bs, especially in an un related thread. Face it, I’ve shit all over the new to my collections thread. Continued in grinding my gears??????
Post 445 IP   flag post
ITS NOT A VARIANT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
Post 446 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's a printing error.
Post 447 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Printing errors are fun, I tend to pick them up but I won't pay the crazy variant price for manufacturer error (besides double covers)

Post 448 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Printing errors are fun, I tend to pick them up but I won't pay the crazy variant price for manufacturer error (besides double covers)

Ya know, you keep featuring this book n a fella will PM you n ask what the hell you are going to do with it.

Edit: it’s not a variant
Post 449 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad I was thinking the exact same thing!
Post 450 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

picked up a stunning raw copy of primer 2, the first appearance of Grendel. The Grendel 1 is the only signed 9.8 on either census, 13 blue label on cgc, 1 blue cbcs. Last sale of a 9.8 is back in '16, they just don't come up for sale.
Post 451 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Picked these up at Frank & Sons at a decent discount. I've become a fan of the art on Challengers of the Unknown.

Post 452 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 453 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

picked up a small collection, not bad for 5$ a book
Post 454 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 Nice haul!
Post 455 IP   flag post
615415 999 30