Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today? Part two.19596

I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 176 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Only thing I read today was Jackpot and Black Cat #1, and I swear that Fantastic Four literally just did this story line.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I went to the local flea market yesterday looking for some new reads. They have a comic shop there with a large selection of comics in the 50 cents to two dollar range. They are constantly buying collections so they add to the bins regularly and it’s worth a visit every 2-3 weeks to see what’s new there. When I hit the discount boxes I do my very best to stay laser focused on filling in my 1980s list. I know that if I start to go off script it’s very easy to go down a rabbit hole and get myself in trouble. Many is the interesting looking comic that I have passed over because it was not in my 1980s wheelhouse. Fighting a war on multiple fronts is a good way to lose that war, says I. The reason I mention all this is because I broke my own rule yesterday and picked up something from the late 1990s. It looked just too good to pass up. It was only a three issue limited series, so it was a pretty shallow rabbit hole, as far as rabbit holes go. Also the issues were bookshelf quality, prestige format editions. The 1999 cover price had been $5.95, so at 50 cents a pop it was a pretty low risk proposition. Plus it featured a golden age character, and I am a sucker for golden age.

As it turns out, the Dr Mid-Nite in this story isn’t the actual golden age character, but a re-vamped modernized version of the concept that is faithful in spirit to the original golden age character. The story is intricate and well thought out and the murky, moody artwork is perfectly suited to the subject matter. I loved it! I recommend this series very highly to anyone who is a fan of good reading and I am extremely glad I decided to give this a chance, even if I will be crawling back into my 1980s box the next time I go discount boxing😉.
Post 178 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
@HeinzDad I had to reread our monthly comic book club posts to refresh myself a bit - I think a cyborg at least. Does the series have droids?
It reminds me of One, from Metallica. Billy was an armless, legless, wonder of this world.

In the case of Ronin, Billy's mind brought a character to life that combined with bio circuitry of Aquarius, made a humanoid. Whether its his torso or not, human on altered human coitus happened.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
In the case of Ronin, Billy's mind brought a character to life that combined with bio circuitry of Aquarius, made a humanoid. Whether its his torso or not, human on altered human coitus happened.

As far is this goes, I thought that Billy used bio-circuitry and his mental powers to animate the spirit of a centuries old samurai who had been looking for a way to return and complete his mission, which was to destroy his ancient enemy that had also managed to return to Earth through Virgo. To your point, whether it was cyborg, droid or magic based, there was definitely something kinky going on there!
Post 180 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad

As far is this goes, I thought that Billy used bio-circuitry and his mental powers to animate the spirit of a centuries old samurai who had been looking for a way to return and complete his mission, which was to destroy his ancient enemy that had also managed to return to Earth through Virgo. To your point, whether it was cyborg, droid or magic based, there was definitely something kinky going on there!
Yeah, but even the Ronin was just made up by Virgo to further illuminate Billy’s mind, yeah?
Post 181 IP   flag post
If I remember correctly (I am not able to easily dig out the comics) the first scene was with the ronin and the demon, which leads me to believe that this actually happened first. My belief is that Billy sensed the demonic interface of Aquarius through Virgo and brought the Ronin back to combat this. It is Billy who was in love with Casey, so the ronin’s attraction there was definitely due to Billy’s influence. The entire story is somewhat subjective as many of the questions are not definitively answered, but I definitely read an element of supernatural mysticism into the story.
Post 182 IP   flag post

Post 183 IP   flag post
At three or four issues a day it'll take me maybe 45 days to complete the series.

Post 184 IP   flag post
I’ve been reading this. I recently acquired some really nice Zombie mags and a buddy told me I could borrow this so I don’t have to read mine. Which is awesome. I liked it so much into one issue I searched to buy a copy for myself. It turns out they are pretty rare. That’s what makes this 5 dollar purchased copy and my free “library rental” (.)(.)’s.

Oh, and that is dog bite damage, not mine of course.

Post 185 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Sensational She-Hulk #34-47. #34-35 have Shulkie dealing with Black Talon as he resurrects some C-list zombie characters. #36 is a well done issue with some more emotional writing as it shows Jen interacting with her father at Christmas. If you've read the original Savage She-Hulk run, you'll know they weren't on the best of terms. Definitely a more grounded issue. After that, Jen taken by Mahkizmo to be his bride because Cupid shoots him with an arrow. Then Jen goes out into space to deal with aliens. Byrne is in top form writing and drawing with the issues he is on. #47 takes place somewhere between #35 and 37. Written by Simon Furman, it is a call back to earlier in the run where multiple dimensions were tapped into. This issue is definitely a parody/homage to the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Marvel Graphic Novel #16, The Aladdin Effect. A small town in WY has an invisible energy shield around it allowing nothing in or out. A young girl wishes for She-Hulk, Tigra, Wasp, and Storm to save the town as it has descended into chaos. The heroes are confused how they got there but tackle the nefarious actors involved. Shooter's writing can be a little over-the-top at times, but it was effective here.

Rick Mason: The Agent. Mason is a mercenary, for lack of a better term. Maybe an agent. He works for whoever pays the most. Nick Fury pays him to go to South America to gather intel on supervillains who took over a country. Good art and writing, I would recommend this story. I am not familiar with this character, but it definitely seems like it takes place in the mainstream Marvel universe.

Post 186 IP   flag post
Predator: The Last Hunt #2. Solid second issue. The story borrows some elements from the Predators film about a game preserve planet, but with the humans planning on tracking down the Predators. The licensed stuff seems to be better for Marvel.

Madripoor Knights #2. I am really digging this. Maybe it is the nostalgia factor of Claremont taking me back to a pre-shit storm X-Men time. The gang is going at it with the Hand, then Bloodscream and Roughouse make an appearance.

Parallel Lives. Interesting take in that the story is presented in a narrative where Peter, MJ, and Doc Ock are connected in a parallel manner, hence the title. The story picks up just when Peter gains his powers and goes from there. The art style is definitely more of a throwback style and the coloring adds to it. Not earth-shattering, but enjoyable way to kill a half hour or so.

Sensational She-Hulk #48-60. John Byrne's run ends at #50, which is an awesome issue and has different artists, such as Frank Miller and Walt Simonson, offer their takes on how She-Hulk should be presented. #51-60 are decent issues but pale a bit when compared to JB's run. #60 does provide some more grounded elements of humanity and characterization than the norm. I can see how this book was different when it came out. It wasn't edgy or grim n' gritty but it did have a string of solid writers and artists working on it.

Post 187 IP   flag post
Today was a pretty good reading day. Arion was somewhat mediocre. It has been a somewhat up and down book, quality wise, since it began. As I approach the end of the series it definitely feels like it is running out of steam. Spidey and Iron Man, on the other hand, were both excellent reads, and the Teen Titans wedding issue is an absolute classic. Probably cracks my personal top 50. It had been quite a while since I read this one and I can definitely say that it has stood the test of time.

Post 188 IP   flag post

Post 189 IP   flag post
I don't have much of a review for the two main SW titles. They're fine but it feels tough to squeeze these stories into an already cramped timeline. We are now between ESP and ROTJ.

Ghostlore still has a cool concept and a few issues left. Nothing too wild over the past few issues except one can harness the power of a ghoul.

Transformers #6. It's violent. Like Marvel's Generation 2 violent. There are times I'm on board and other times I'm scratching my head, but I do think DWJ is attempting to stay true to the brand while also trying to keep it fresh.

Nightcat. This one shot was kinda fun, but also super generic in a way. It's almost like Dazzler and Spider-Man sired an offspring who got her powers from some fancy drug and also wanted to be a singer. I guess this was Marvel's second attempt at merging music and comics. Jim Lee helped design the character but didn't work on the comic. Shame, because it may have helped.

A Sailor's Story. Sam Glanzman wrote and illustrated this tale of his time in the Navy during World War II. A very good story and some of the experiences he recounts brought back some memories of my times at sea. This was definitely a departure from the usual Marvel fare at the time. Highly recommend this story.

Thor: I, Whom the Gods Would Destroy. Well done story with Thor attempting to balance his left as a god with that of a mortal (Donald Blake). There isn't much in the way of action, unless you count Thor doing a smash and dash with some bar hag. He spends most of the story attempting to explain to that fine-ass Sif, how he feels a kinship with humans. Sif has a hard time understanding. Bob Sharen's colors help the art pop.

Post 190 IP   flag post

Post 191 IP   flag post

Post 192 IP   flag post
My weekly’s have been waiting while I read Tales of the Zombie. I took a break tonight to read this, TMNT 150, the last issue. All I’ll say is, I don’t consider myself the smartest man on the planet or anything, but I do know when something sucks. The only thing that would make it better is if the cover said, “Last Issue, Collectors Edition” he says owning 3 covers……

Post 193 IP   flag post
Howard Chaykin's American Flagg #1-12. Most of the series is set in the Plex-USSR as Reuben kinda sucks at being a politician and Chicago gets hit by a VBIED. After Flagg gets out of a PAL prison, he escapes to Russia and begins his hijinks anew. I'm not positive if this was supposed to be a full-on series or just a 12 issue maxi-series. Chaykin's involvement seems to be in name only, but he may have contributed more than just a producer credit. Overall, it was a good 12 issues even if it seemed a bit rushed. The Master Programmer is a spoof of Pee Wee Herman if he were a deranged sociopath.

Jon Sable, Freelance #7-10. I really dig this series. It's simple yet effective and Mike Grell does a good job of digging into Sable and his relationship with himself as well as the other characters. It's wild what can happen when one loves their job and isn't a self-loathing short-bus hire.

X-Men/Alpha Flight #1-2. In addition to working my way through John Sable, I'm also getting back to reading the several boxes of Marvel miniseries I have. I started with this one. It's not bad. It provides some good struggle to Rachel Summers' psyche and also shows Loki attempt to be benevolent but in a totally backhanded way.

Post 194 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve had this in my library for a long while. Finally got the itch to read it.

The first trade was excellent. The second is a slight step down but still a fun read so far.

Post 195 IP   flag post

Post 196 IP   flag post
Wolverine: Madripoor Knights #3. Wolverine, Black Widow and Captain America are still hanging around Madripoor and keeping an eye on an auction in Hightown. It all goes sideways when the Hand shows up. Good writing and art. Claremont can still craft an engaging story.

Predator: The Last Hunt #3. This was a gore-fest as the Predator runs roughshod over some humans, setting up the conclusion with #4. I like this series. Marvel now has unedited curse words and goes gore-heavy when that used to be a MAX thing.

Transformers #7. What a doozy! This one pulled me in from the start and I might go full completist mode on this iteration. Well, probably not, but it felt like the Transformers story that IDW got away from doing. It starts on Cybertron and shifts back to Earth. Soundwave challenges Starscream the for Decepticon leadership, while the Autobots are licking their wounds after getting throttled the past few issues. I really like where this is going.

X-Men Spotlight On... Starjammers #1-2. Two-part deluxe format story follows the Starjammers + Lilandra on the Phalkon Quest. The Phalkon is a source of powerful energy that could be used to help Lilandra reclaim her throne from Deathbird. The quest goes around the galaxy and finally to Earth where Excalibur gets involved. While the writing was fine, the art seemed a little off. A different inker could have matched the tone of the writing. Instead, it was all very bright.

XSE #1-4. I liked this mini-series. While the art is very 90's, the writing is top shelf. The story alternates between the present and the future as Bishop and Shard discuss their lives and the events that shaped both characters, especially Bishop and his motivations. I recommend this series to X-Men/Bishop fans.

Jon Sable, Freelance #11-20. There was some really good stuff in here, especially issues 11-13, 16, 19. The issues dealing with Sable and his life and backstory really help the character shine. I'm not particularly familiar with Mike Grell's work, but he did a bang-up job on the issues I have read thus far.

Post 197 IP   flag post
I read the first 3 issues of this mini series. The intro was strong but it feels a little meandering at this point.

Post 198 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I read the first 3 issues of this mini series. The intro was strong but it feels a little meandering at this point.

Finished it today. It got better, then gross and then, it resolved itself.

I’ll say C- overall. Passable, but I can’t really recommend it.
Post 199 IP   flag post
I haven’t read this yet but I figure @Studley_Dudley may want it on his pull list.

Post 200 IP   flag post
602967 200 25