Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today? Part two.19596

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
@michaelekrupp, you get any birthday pie buddy?????

Happy Bday!

Thanks, brother! Celebrated with pizza, D&D and, yes, homemade apple pie! (made with apples from the tree in my backyard, no less!)
😁🍴🥧😁
Post 51 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
We have a VG/F copy of Sub-Mariner #57 that called out to me today. It's the last complete Bill Everett masterpiece before his passing, and still one of my top three all time favorite comic book covers.

Post 52 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 53 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Alyssa Wong took an interesting character in Doctor Aphra and her turned her into a Men on Film style parody. Good for her. Dark Droids has a neat concept so we'll see how the story fleshes out. Long story short, some program is able to control the droids and replicate itself with any other droid it comes into contact with.

Enfield Gang Massacre is part of the That Texas Blood continuity and takes place in the past. Seems like the gang may have actually been framed. Good set up issue and looking forward to the next.

A Foulness in the Walls. I figured this one out early so the story wasn't much of a surprise. Good coloring though, helps to set the tones throughout when it is time for regular stuff and then to grim.

The Shroud #1-4. Don't know much about the Shroud but the mini retells the origin while going through the main story. A mob deal goes bad and the feds are involved too. Shroud beats up mobsters, his old cult buddies and the Scorpion and takes on Spidey for a bit. It was ok.

Starjammers #1-4. Cool story. The Uncreated are plowing their way through space destroying any planets and cultures that have an organized religion. The Starjammers help out the Shiar with this mess and Lilandra has to protect her empire since her deceased brother D'Ken apparently still has allies. Good character development on Corsair in this story.

Savage She-Hulk #1-10. Look, I respect Stan but he can be hokey a.f. when it comes to his scripting. That said, he does ok with issue #1. David Kraft takes over as writer beginning in issue #2 and it picks up. Issue #1 really just felt like a pilot issue to see if it had wings. The art is good and the stories, while short, are to the point and don't feel a need to get drawn out. The overarching theme seems to be Jen trying to control the She-Hulk side (like Bruce) but also trying to just live her life. Only 25 issues in the series, so I should finish it off over the next few weeks if I get more free time.

Post 54 IP   flag post
I read Void Indigo #1 a few days ago. I found it an intriguing read but it was evident that I was missing out on some of the key story points because I failed to read the Void Indigo Graphic Novel that had preceded the series. Needless to say, I ordered it immediately after finishing Void Indigo #1. It arrived today and I just finished reading it. Steve Gerber weaves an amazing story involving ancient civilizations, barbarian hordes, black magic, space aliens and reincarnation. The artwork by Val Mayerik takes full advantage of the format and the colors really pop! I continue to be impressed by the overall strength of the Epic Comics line. Back in the 1980s, the only Epic books I bought regularly were Dreadstar and Groo. I was really missing out on some quality material, although I am sure enjoying discovering it now.

Post 55 IP   flag post

Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
A little behind in my short box of reading, these are from 2022, and I’m working on catching up, lol.

Night Club – A vampire book, kids doing their thing, trouble, like jumping buildings that are pretty tall. The kid, jumping the building, on the verge of death, is saved by a vampire, and doesn’t know what to think. The kid has choices to make with his newly acquired powers.

Dark Web: X-Men #1 – Starts out fun, art is good, cool story, lords of limbo pour into New York, and mutants, Magik, Maddie Pryor, Forge to name a few. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Ice Man and Firestar, help with the battle. A quick read, and a few more issues to collect, and a larger story involving characters from other books.

Resident Alien: The Book of Love – I didn’t read any prior series, but I liked the Show. Harry and Asta are doing their thing, but shenanigans are a foot. A government agency is looking into the town Of Patience, and is trying to find aliens, prove their existence, and other unimaginable things. So far light hearted, and maybe even in the romance realm of comics, with other conundrums to boot. Enjoing the books I bought, and have a few more issues to read.

Post 56 IP   flag post

DC vs Marvel #1-4. More of a nostalgic purchase. Years ago, I had purchased the first two issues. Then I had the series but hadn't read it and eventually got rid of it. Fast forward to now and I have it again. It was ok. Not as cool as I remember being when I was 12 or 13 but fun enough. Art was kind of all over the place and the writing was forced at times so that the story could fit in four issues.

Imperial Guard #1-3. Takes place during the aftermath of Onslaught while the Shiar are also dealing with the threat of the Phalanx that is alluded to in UXM #342. The Imperial Guard are ordered to protect Earth. Entertaining read of the Imperial Guard helping out the remaining heroes on Earth and fighting to protect it from a group of people who blame all their problems on super beings. The art is kind of cartoonish but it fits the vibe of the story.

Savage She-Hulk #11-15. #15 has a well-written story on mental health and societal issues. The other issues were standard Marvel fare from the time period.

Post 57 IP   flag post
Cauldron of Horror #2. It's a nice throwback to the old Bronze Age horror titles even if the price point is high. I like what it goes for and the fact that it isn't a monthly title is ok for my wallet at the price point.

Savage She-Hulk #15-20. The overarching plot moves along as She-Hulk is now cleared of all criminal charges from the earlier issues. There is some decently written social themes going on in the issues along with absurdity like the Man-Elephant.

Post 58 IP   flag post
I'm a McNugget guzzler. HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Happy birthday @Studley_Dudley!
Post 59 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley Happy Birthday!!! 🍻
Post 60 IP   flag post
Thank you!
Post 61 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley - Happy Birthday, Mike! Buy yourself a nice book or two!
Post 62 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley

happy bday !
Post 63 IP   flag post
Thanks fellas. It's been a decent day thus far
Post 64 IP   flag post
Late summer of ‘84 was a pretty good period for the Spidey books. The alien costume saga was starting to heat up in Amazing, while the Silvermane/ Kingpin/ Answer/ Cloak and Dagger saga was wrapping up in Spectacular. On top of this, the menace of the Puma and the potential Hobgoblin/ Rose alliance were simmering in the background. The only negative was Ron Frenz’s art on Anazing, of which I am just not a fan. I remember staying with my aunt and uncle for a few weeks in August of ‘84, which is where and when I first read these classics.

Aztec Ace is a comic that I have really been enjoying during my 1980s revisitation. I remember buying issue 4 during a trip to Florida in the spring of 1984. Having read none of the preceding issues at the time, it went completely over my head. Having no idea what was going on, I never bought another issue. Now, Ace is one of my favorite books! This is truly a thinking man’s comic, with layers upon layers of complexity. It is not something to kill a half hour bus ride with, but it is very rewarding if one takes the time and effort to absorb everything that is being put forth.

After the collapse of Pacific Comics, Eclipse did mop up duty on many of their titles, insuring that issues had been completed would see the light of day. Included among these were the two EC-esque anthology books, Alien Worlds and Twisted Tales. These issues were not the best of their respective runs, but still featured some nice bits, including a nicely rendered Al Williamson story in Alien Worlds.

Post 65 IP   flag post
If you want seedy shit this is it. I’ve only read the first story and it’s up there with the 2 seediest HellBlazers I’ve ever read.

Post 66 IP   flag post
Oh wow, the first twisted tale was written by Ennis.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Picked up the Wolverine v Predator book a few weeks ago, excited! May not be much of a story, but hoping it looks great.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Everything read throughout the last week or so.

I concur @HeinzDad's assessment of Creepshow v2 #1. It was definitely a seedy story that I didn't see coming.

Star Wars has been ok. The $4.99 price point is really making it easy to get away from new comics. Probably not a bad idea.

Savage She-Hulk #21-25. Kind of a weird end to the storyline. Jen repairs some relationships with her friends and her father. The villains were kinda lame but it all ties back some stuff from previous issues.

Post 69 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley I have been enjoying the Dark Droids storyline, but Marvel's pricing sucks. At least when you pay 5 bucks for a DC book, the cover isn't made from tissue paper.
Post 70 IP   flag post
I finally caught up on my weekly’s so it’s back to my amigo Constantine. I’m in the Sean Phillips/Eddie Campbell run which isn’t my favorite. There isn’t enough hallucinogens in the world to get the “Warped Notions” arc to fully click with me and Phillips’s illustrations make John look like Rami Malleck. I can’t unsee it.

Post 71 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley, is it coincidence She Hulk 25 says The End right next to Jen’s rear? I guess I’ve never seen it. It’s not a Byrne She Hulk so I’m not really sure if I’m reading into it.
Post 72 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
From Hell #1 on the plane yesterday.
Wow... incredible beginning. I'll be in for the remainder.
Alan Moore at his best.
Post 73 IP   flag post
I read more over the week instead of doing my homework like I had planned.

I like the Star Wars crossover stuff with Dark Droids. It's been entertaining. Not earth-shattering, but entertaining.

Transformers #1. Ok, Skybound's turn to take a crack at the toys. I liked this first issue. It has it's own vibe while still holding true to the franchise, which is something IDW got away from in the latter stages of its run. I'm still getting used to Johnson's art but I was spoiled for years with EJ Su, Alex Milne, Andrew Wildman, Don Figueroa and others. I'm not buying any of the other Hasbro universe stuff that is all supposed to share a continuity, so if I miss something then I miss it. That's what the internet is for.

Batman: The Imposter. A younger Bruce Wayne is trying to figure out who is dressing up as Batman and killing people. The art was ok, and the scripting was well-paced. It does a good job of trying to understand Bruce's psyche. I like the Black Label stuff because it gives creative a little more freedom to explore the characters without being restricted by the mainstream continuity.

John Tiffany. An English-language translated collection of two French-language one shots. This I liked. Excellent art and writing made this a great story. It gives off John Wick vibes, but it is not a rip-off in any sense. Former soldier becomes a highly skilled bounty hunter. Likes actions and likes hookers. No arguments with that. Highly recommended.

The Lion and the Eagle. A Garth Ennis-penned look at a real historical unit in WWII called the Chindits. These were technically special ops units executing missions against the Japanese and made up of Indians and the British. Excellent read. Ennis crafts a great story and delivers depth to the characters in only four issues. PJ Holden's art is reminiscent of long-time Ennis artist, Steve Dillon but still good. I recommend this as well.

Post 74 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a couple copies of Heavy Metal #1 as possible spec collectibles. Decided to read the lower grade copy last week. It really didn't come anywhere close to its potential or my expectations. I was expecting some good, mature sci-fi stories. The stories had no depth to them. Maybe it's more a showcase of artwork than of storytelling.

Post 75 IP   flag post
I’m not sure what to say about this TPB. Collects Harrower 1-4. From what I understand this is a stand alone. It wraps up nicely so it might as well stay that way. ‘Twas a cool Halloween read but blowing through it in less than an hour, reading lazily doesn’t work for me. I’d rather have my 18 bucks and tax back.

Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I’m not sure what to say about this TPB. Collects Harrower 1-4. From what I understand this is a stand alone. It wraps up nicely so it might as well stay that way. ‘Twas a cool Halloween read but blowing through it in less than an hour, reading lazily doesn’t work for me. I’d rather have my 18 bucks and tax back.

That might be one of my main gripes for my monthly floppies. $4-$6 for what? A five-minute read, maybe. Some stuff takes longer to read than others, but the costs far outweigh the reward. I wouldn't be as upset with the pricing if the quality matched in terms of creative and manufacturing especially from Marvel. My Quilted Northern feels more put together than what Marvel slaps $5/issue on.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
This was a gift from a lady friend in Australia, I hadn't read it in years. Quirky stories about finding love amid strange situations, kind of like the two of us at the time.

Post 78 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley The Lion and the Eagle was very good. I had some trouble tracking down all four issues after the implosion of Aftershock.

@HeinzDad I enjoyed Harrower in singles, but as a standalone series it is less than satisfying. I think there is room for a sequel or spin-off.

Comics do cost too much, that I will agree with. I got caught up on the Dark Droids crossover this morning (Doctor Aphra #37 and D-Squad #2), and although I am enjoying the story I was a bit disappointed when I realized I was 18 issues in with 12 left to go at Marvel prices. Since I hadn't been reading the Star Wars books before the crossover and won't be afterwards, it's a lot.

Best thing I read this week was Void Rivals #5. Really liking this story, even ignoring the Transformers elements.
Post 79 IP   flag post
From the past week when I should have been doing homework...

The Clock TPB. The TPB has been on my reading table for almost three years. I had picked up the first two issues in early 2020 but then everything abruptly halted when that which shan't be named for fear of account suspension shut the world down. Interesting on reading the notes that the planning for the series started in 2015 since the collected four issues (#3 & #4 were not published individually) deals with a worldwide pandemic. In any case, a scientist is trying to solve the pandemic and has hurdles to go through while shadowy forces are at play to stop him. The story felt a little rushed and could have benefitted from another issue or two.

Starship Down TPB. Same situation as The Clock. The first issue was published in 2020 by Dark Horse then nothing until the TPB came out. I had #1 and then bought TPB when it came out in late 2020. The story deals with a spaceship being found in Siberia and an international team of scientists checking it out to discover Neanderthals aboard. What follows is an interesting look at a possible origin of life on Earth. A decent look at the crossing of science and theology.

Superman vs Lobo #1-3. Supes and Lobo go to space to encounter this water bear-like creature that has the power to create and destroy. Despite the title, the physical altercation between the two is in the third issue. Fun story about Lobo being transported to a newly reborn Krypton while Supes is sent to Czarnia. Amongst the fun of the story is a good interaction of Lobo and Superman discussing their differing viewpoints while also discovering similarities driven by different motivations.

Batman/Catwoman #1-2 + Special. Tom King is kind of a beta simp as a writer and some of that shows in this story. On the other hand, he does spin a fairly good tale and I have to admit I did not see some of the plot twists coming. The story hops around in time but really does tell a lot about how the relationship between the two title characters. Phantasm, Joker, Penguin, Dick Grayson and more all make appearances. The special is more about Catwoman's youth and a tribute to artist John Paul Leon who passed away in 2021.

Post 80 IP   flag post
619266 312 30