Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@DrWatson Dang, that looks like an oil slick. Don't step in it...

Would some Dawn help clean that up?

I use my Dawn to rescue baby ducks.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
They do, but it’s just an “olfactory illusion”.

I didn't know illusions could smell or that we perceived Newton Rings with our nose.
Post 152 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67
@DrWatson Dang, that looks like an oil slick. Don't step in it...

Would some Dawn help clean that up?

Brillianize might.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Newer pinball machines have printed plastic translights sandwiched against a piece of glass. These will often develop the same prismatic oil spill look. When they are removed, they make a crackling noise like static. If you clean the front of the translight and the rear of the glass (contact point) with Brillianize (an anti-static cleaner), the prismatic effect is reduced or removed.
Post 155 IP   flag post

I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I think this post falls in line with this thread. If not, I'm sure I'll hear about it. Lol

I know I've said this a lot, on both boards, but I don't do business with CGC anymore. This whole 'Newton Ring' schtick by CGC isn't a surprise, and doesn't affect me. I have plenty of slabs that I could've sent in for a reholder, but I decided that I wouldn't trust CGC with my slabs a second time around.

So I've taken it upon myself to see if I can 'fix' my own slabs, even the ones I've tried to sell over the past few years. As long as I'm very careful, I won't need CGC or CBCS (and CBCS is an option for me). CGC can pound sand.

This is a slab I've tried to sell. The first photo is the 'before', the next few are the 'after'. See how bad this slab looked upon receipt from CGC? The 'after' photos still show some NR's, but they cleaned up pretty good.

Post 156 IP   flag post
Post 157 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave Obviously you can't spray a slabbed book and I wouldn't advocate spraying a comic with anything. It would be done at the business location just before encasement. If it works. I'm not even saying it will work, but it's worth a try if there's going to be a continuing argument over a defect like this.
Post 158 IP   flag post
I’d trust CGC with spraying a liquid for this purpose even less.

Then again, I likely wouldn’t want them pressing any of my books either…
Post 159 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
This is just a guess, but I think GC purchased so many holders, like a bazillion, that they are trying to go through the inventory before rolling out a new plastic holder. They have so much pre-purchased stock in a massive wherehouse that they would lose a gazillion dollars, with no way of being able to recoup from the loss of the un-used capsules. IDK, just throwing my 3 cents in, and send me some un-used cases for my soft slabs, I'd like to see if the collect forever soft slab causes NR.🤣
Post 160 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahuka
This is just a guess, but I think GC purchased so many holders, like a bazillion, that they are trying to go through the inventory before rolling out a new plastic holder. They have so much pre-purchased stock in a massive wherehouse that they would lose a gazillion dollars, with no way of being able to recoup from the loss of the un-used capsules. IDK, just throwing my 3 cents in, and send me some un-used cases for my soft slabs, I'd like to see if the collect forever soft slab causes NR.🤣

I also think it's either that, huge stock on hand, or the cost of those materials is so low they were willing to risk that the amount of NR returns wouldn't be too big a chunk of the profit. Now, it probably was so they put a stop to it.
Post 161 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Galen130 that’s not zombie drool?
Post 162 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
@Galen130 that’s not zombie drool?

Lol....maybe.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
eBay’s Terms and Conditions now state that “all optical illusions must be disclosed in ad listings” 😂
Post 164 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
@Galen130 How'd you clean them up?
Post 165 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I wish to make a complaint regarding the oil slick look of the slab.

Post 166 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
@Galen130 How'd you clean them up?

Very, very carefully.
Post 167 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen130
Okay, I think this post falls in line with this thread. If not, I'm sure I'll hear about it. Lol

I know I've said this a lot, on both boards, but I don't do business with CGC anymore. This whole 'Newton Ring' schtick by CGC isn't a surprise, and doesn't affect me. I have plenty of slabs that I could've sent in for a reholder, but I decided that I wouldn't trust CGC with my slabs a second time around.

So I've taken it upon myself to see if I can 'fix' my own slabs, even the ones I've tried to sell over the past few years. As long as I'm very careful, I won't need CGC or CBCS (and CBCS is an option for me). CGC can pound sand.

This is a slab I've tried to sell. The first photo is the 'before', the next few are the 'after'. See how bad this slab looked upon receipt from CGC? The 'after' photos still show some NR's, but they cleaned up pretty good.

I would think it has more to do with you rubbing around on the holder than with any cleaner applied to the outside of the holder. The problem isn't on the outside. It's on the inside where the plastics touch.

That said, it has nothing to do with your olfactory system. That's your sense of smell. It's closer to refraction. I wouldn't call it an illusion either. It's similar to light passing through a prism and breaking white light into its component colors... like sunlight and raindrops creating a rainbow.
Post 168 IP   flag post
😂
Post 169 IP   flag post
@DrWatson

Quote:
@DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Do the rings smell like gasoline on water? I always liked that smell.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

That said, it has nothing to do with your olfactory system. That's your sense of smell.

Post 170 IP   flag post
A dumpster fire could also cause a mirage. A CGC slab dumpster file would burn extra hot because of all that oil.

Finally, oil is used to make plastic. The interaction of the inner well vs outer shell plastic causes NR.
Post 171 IP   flag post
murmur
Post 172 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave If both plastic surfaces are completely flat, no rings.
Post 173 IP   flag post
Yup.
Post 174 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Newton Rings are an optical effect, not an optical illusion, but either way they still suck.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Collector spacecitycomics private msg quote post Address this user
Not popping in to either forums in a few years, I have to ask, has this topic not been discussed, rehashed, and hashed again about 10 years ago ? I have no idea who is running either company nowdays.
I don't do slabs at all, haven't in more than 10 years, but this is certainly clicking a vague memory.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Post 177 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitycomics
Not popping in to either forums in a few years, I have to ask, has this topic not been discussed, rehashed, and hashed again about 10 years ago ? I have no idea who is running either company nowdays.
I don't do slabs at all, haven't in more than 10 years, but this is certainly clicking a vague memory.

CGC made an announcement a week ago. Click on OP’s link in Post 1.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Newton Rings are an optical effect, not an optical illusion, but either way they still suck.

Some would say a @figment of the imagination.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DrWatson

Quote:
@DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Do the rings smell like gasoline on water? I always liked that smell.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

That said, it has nothing to do with your olfactory system. That's your sense of smell.

I guess it did go over my head as I was only skimming and not really paying attention. However, somebody will take it as gospel since it's on the internet and then do an "educational" YouTube video about it.
Post 180 IP   flag post
601492 180 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?