Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
No. Pressing is a service, not a product

You are confusing grading with slabbing.

The actual “grade” is also a service, just like pressing.

What?? Aren't we talking about newton rings any more?

And why are they called that??!! I'm pretty sure Isaac didn't approve of that term. Someone else CGC probably pissed off.

Post 126 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Essentially, I pointed out that the pressing service could eventually render the grading service inaccurate, but that’s not depicted on the label either.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Jesse_O

There you have it. CGC doesn’t consider rings a defect, so therefore no recall.

A few weeks ago, they DID consider them a defect.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
@Jesse_O

There you have it. CGC doesn’t consider rings a defect, so therefore no recall.

A few weeks ago, they DID consider them a defect.

Obviously not. Quality control still shipped them out as is. I could understand a few slipping through, but not hundreds or thousands.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
They ship 100s/1000s of slabs out with defects.
Post 130 IP   flag post

Quote:
They ship 100s/1000s of slabs out with defects.

Apparently. You said yourself, rings were considered defects a few weeks ago.
Post 131 IP   flag post
And they were shipped out a few weeks ago.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:

Okay.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Okay.

Indeed.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Quote:

Okay.

Indeed.

Excelsior.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
Quote:
You're on the clock: 13 days, 18 hours, 23 minutes to get it back to CGC. Go!
(side note: hope you're the submitter; otherwise do not pass Go)

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.
They're just the best. I can't say it enough times.

I had my presser send them back immediately. My name isn't on the order, he presses and then submits them for me. Charges less than the companies do, plus he is very efficient at it.

Yep - I'm in the same boat as you with my presser submitting under his account. I guess I can't handle the breakages and returns without involving the presser now. Just utter ridiculousness.

lol...soooo..how long before pressers say they've had enough and stop returning them for customers?
If the issue is as pervasive as it seems they will have to devote time/effort to dealing with this taking away from their actual business - can't see them doing it for long

Pressers will, unfortunately, probably just raise their prices. It's just logical ... they have to do more work, afterall.

Yeah.

Another reason why I would never press books for other people for $18, or whatever the average rate is now.

It still blows my mind that people who submit regularly to either or both companies, don’t just buy a press and learn how to press.

Pressing your own books does 3 things…..saves pressing fees, lessens TAT.

Cuts down the odds of book damage- less number of hands on a book.

When I started pressing, I had to learn by trial and error.

Now, there’s tutorial pressing books AND YouTube channels.
we also pay people who we trust know what they are doing and will select to appropriate method(s) to clean up our books instead of crushing the shit out of them.

You say it like we’re ironing slacks.

I don’t see how Pressing our own books will reduce damages if we don’t know what the hell we are doing during the “trial and error” period.

Lessens TATs? Who gives a shit. This is America; we throw money at problems to make them go away.

One would continue paying his presser during the learning period, and use books that aren't valuable to learn on.

Than one would start subbing books he pressed when he was able to competently press books.

As far as lessening TAT's:

.....you can pay for a submission of 10 modern(1975-present)grading plus fast tracked/quick streamed pressing and still wait months.

What's that going to cost, not accounting for shipping?

More than double what pressing the books yourself would cost, without waiting for your 3rd party presser or in house pressing at CBCS/CGC, to get to your books.
Post 136 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One day we (sellers) will be on the hook for a Newton Ring scale numerical rating.

Wouldn't that be cool?

We have a company that grades a comic and then another company B comes along to give a numerical grade to the severity of the Newton rings. Im loving this.
Post 137 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
One day we (sellers) will be on the hook for a Newton Ring scale numerical rating.

Wouldn't that be cool?

We have a company that grades a comic and then another company B comes along to give a numerical grade to the severity of the Newton rings. Im loving this.

We need to start a slab grading company....we grade and slab the slab your comic is slabbed inside of.
Post 138 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
So here's the thing I don't get about Newton rings:

Newton rings appear because the layers of plastic in the slab are touching, and the types of plastic react optically in a sub-optimal manner. It seems like re-slabbing a comic with visible rings is a losing proposition, as the comic didn't get magically thinner and the slab didn't get magically bigger, so putting the same comic into an identical slab is going to eventually net the same result.

None of my CGC slabs have obvious rings, but all my recent slabs are modern books, which are thinner than Golden Age books and smaller dimensionally than Silver Age. The worst examples I have seen are all older books. So if CGC cared (which they obviously don't), it seems like they could reduce the frequency of Newton rings by using more appropriately sized slabs.

I could be totally off-base. But it seems like an easy solution, if expensive.
Post 139 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Do the rings smell like gasoline on water? I always liked that smell.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Do the rings smell like gasoline on water? I always liked that smell.
They do, but it’s just an “olfactory illusion”.
Post 141 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t think any of my Golden Age books have Newton’s Rings. At least nothing noticeable.
Post 142 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I understand CGC wanting to curb abuses of its existing mechanical error program but 14 days to identify the error and get the book back into CGC's hands is way too tight.

It takes a while to go through a large submission

Also, some customers could be travelling when the books arrive.

Someone didn't think this through.

I mean....CBCS is only 5 days.

Takes them longer than that to respond to an email.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

Newton rings appear because the layers of plastic in the slab are touching, and the types of plastic react optically in a sub-optimal manner. It seems like re-slabbing a comic with visible rings is a losing proposition, as the comic didn't get magically thinner and the slab didn't get magically bigger, so putting the same comic into an identical slab is going to eventually net the same result.

None of my CGC slabs have obvious rings, but all my recent slabs are modern books, which are thinner than Golden Age books and smaller dimensionally than Silver Age. The worst examples I have seen are all older books. So if CGC cared (which they obviously don't), it seems like they could reduce the frequency of Newton rings by using more appropriately sized slabs.

I don’t think they truly know how to fix it. “Newton rings” appear in multiple fashions; the most common being the rainbowy oil slick rings, some like bubbles/air pockets and I had a super gross looking modern that was like a static cling decal that didnt go right. Obviously the cause is the 2 plastics touching, but don’t think know how to keep it from happening with theirs materials like PGX and CBCS magically can.
Post 144 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

They're on more modern books as well:

Post 145 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
For sure they know how to fix it....they didn't always have Newton Rings....the mystery is why they choose not to fix it...that is the real head scratcher.
Post 146 IP   flag post
"It'll cost how much to fix? Yeah, that's not gunna happen. Let's just tell people that they're not a defect and that they should just accept them."

Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
"It'll cost how much to fix? Yeah, that's not gunna happen. Let's just tell people that they're not a defect and that they should just accept them."

I meant fix the slabs going forward...correct the root cause of the newton rings. Why CGC continues with the same slab design that causes the newton rings is beyond me.
Post 148 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Dang, that looks like an oil slick. Don't step in it...

Would some Dawn help clean that up?
Post 149 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
If you sell on Ebay, they allow returns for anything. Its best to be honest in the listing if there are NRs. You avoid returns, and the costs involved with returns. Many cases, ebay will allow the return AND make the seller pay for the return shipping.

Its just best for everyone to mention the NRs in the description if they are there, and take specific pics of them if they are abundant.
Post 150 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

I use my Dawn to rescue baby ducks.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Quote:
They do, but it’s just an “olfactory illusion”.

I didn't know illusions could smell or that we perceived Newton Rings with our nose.
Post 152 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearmint67

Brillianize might.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Newer pinball machines have printed plastic translights sandwiched against a piece of glass. These will often develop the same prismatic oil spill look. When they are removed, they make a crackling noise like static. If you clean the front of the translight and the rear of the glass (contact point) with Brillianize (an anti-static cleaner), the prismatic effect is reduced or removed.
Post 155 IP   flag post
598007 180 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?