Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 If you submit enough, you might want to upgrade your membership to qualify for the 15% off yourself. Plus you get that credit that helps defer the cost of the upgrade

All you other points are valid.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Retired_11B private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 When mine return to the presser, it is to his building where he is. Most of the time I cannot be home when they deliver, and I really don't feel like driving to the FedEx or UPS store to do a pick up. And if I am traveling, I know my books are being taken care of.

As far as the NR issue, I have some with a slight issue, but it doesn't really distract me. My issue, is the mislabeling of the titles you send in. There needs to be better QC.
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Pretty simple solution to the Newton Ring problem; submit books to CBCS instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
"Newton Rings not a problem!", says the only company that has them.

That made me laugh out loud!

Sometimes its better to be just thought ignorant on a subject, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Even worse when one doesn't take their own advice.
Post 78 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Pretty simple solution to the Newton Ring problem; submit books to CBCS instead.

Quote:

Sometimes its better to be just thought ignorant on a subject, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Newton Rings are NOT exclusive to just CGC. There are plenty of CBCS slabs with newton rings as well.

4 out of the 9 slabs I just got back from CBCS had small newton rings on then.

These CGC smear threads are always ridiculously stupid.

We now have hundreds of CBCS slabs and not one of them has Newton Rings.

And it wouldn't be a "smear" thread unless there was something to smear them about.
Post 79 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Newton Rings are NOT exclusive to just CGC. There are plenty of CBCS slabs with newton rings as well.

4 out of the 9 slabs I just got back from CBCS had small newton rings on then.

These CGC smear threads are always ridiculously stupid.

We now have hundreds of CBCS slabs and not one of them has Newton Rings.

And it wouldn't be a "smear" thread unless there was something to smear them about.

Same....I've got hundreds of cbcs slabs as well and not a single one has newton rings....I've got over a hundred CGC slabs and a high percentage do have newton rings.....it's not a smear campaign when it's true.
Post 80 IP   flag post

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC When someone mentions a smear campaign, I think there's a sale on at the gynecologist.
Post 81 IP   flag post
@DrWatson lol!!! 50% off!
Post 82 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I agree I also have couple hundred CBCS slabs and no Newton Rings. Sounds like someone must be a CGC bandwagon lover. Don’t get me started on the Newton Rings on my CGC cases it’s ridiculous.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I just read the 16 page thread over there. I was able to skip some of it because it's a lot of nonsense and nitpicking at each other. There are some legit gripes there. There was also a lot of cheerleading from a few people because CGC is intertwined with their livelihoods. All in all, it was a painful read for 16 pages but provided some insights into the moods and thoughts of some members over there as well as the policy.

The 14 day window should definitely be expanded to 30 for international customers. Maybe a 21 day window for the domestic customer base. The Newton Rings are still a thing and probably always will be with CGC. I don't agree with the original submitter having to be the one to submit.

I like to let my wallet do the talking, and since the Frankenslab fiasco from a few years back, I've more or less stopped submitting to CGC apart from a few books here and there. I think I have seven there now, zero last year, and three in 2021.

I'm curious as to how many people will stop submitting to CGC. It seems like something happens every so often to rile up the base then it goes back to business as usual for the company and submitters.
Post 84 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
it's not a smear campaign when it's true.

Bravo!!!
I didn't want to get into it with a BigRedTrollClown that early in the morning just spewing falsehoods, but glad you called him out. And notice his caveat so he has an out of "small newton rings" with CBCS. Uh huh... right.

I'm "small" Santa Claus with my white razor stubble
Post 85 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_11B
Quote:
You're on the clock: 13 days, 18 hours, 23 minutes to get it back to CGC. Go!
(side note: hope you're the submitter; otherwise do not pass Go)

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.
They're just the best. I can't say it enough times.

I had my presser send them back immediately. My name isn't on the order, he presses and then submits them for me. Charges less than the companies do, plus he is very efficient at it.

Yep - I'm in the same boat as you with my presser submitting under his account. I guess I can't handle the breakages and returns without involving the presser now. Just utter ridiculousness.

lol...soooo..how long before pressers say they've had enough and stop returning them for customers?
If the issue is as pervasive as it seems they will have to devote time/effort to dealing with this taking away from their actual business - can't see them doing it for long

Pressers will, unfortunately, probably just raise their prices. It's just logical ... they have to do more work, afterall.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
it's not a smear campaign when it's true.

Bravo!!!
I didn't want to get into it with a BigRedTrollClown that early in the morning just spewing falsehoods, but glad you called him out. And notice his caveat so he has an out of "small newton rings" with CBCS. Uh huh... right.

I'm "small" Santa Claus with my white razor stubble

lol!!!!!!!!!
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.

I had my presser send them back immediately. My name isn't on the order, he presses and then submits them for me. Charges less than the companies do, plus he is very efficient at it.

Yep - I'm in the same boat as you with my presser submitting under his account. I guess I can't handle the breakages and returns without involving the presser now. Just utter ridiculousness.

lol...soooo..how long before pressers say they've had enough and stop returning them for customers?
If the issue is as pervasive as it seems they will have to devote time/effort to dealing with this taking away from their actual business - can't see them doing it for long

Pressers will, unfortunately, probably just raise their prices. It's just logical ... they have to do more work, afterall.

Yeah.

Another reason why I would never press books for other people for $18, or whatever the average rate is now.

It still blows my mind that people who submit regularly to either or both companies, don’t just buy a press and learn how to press.

Pressing your own books does 3 things…..saves pressing fees, lessens TAT.

Cuts down the odds of book damage- less number of hands on a book.

When I started pressing, I had to learn by trial and error.

Now, there’s tutorial pressing books AND YouTube channels.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicHoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Such a wonderful policy.
What a great company.

Yeah.

Another reason why I would never press books for other people for $18, or whatever the average rate is now.

It still blows my mind that people who submit regularly to either or both companies, don’t just buy a press and learn how to press.

Pressing your own books does 3 things…..saves pressing fees, lessens TAT.

Cuts down the odds of book damage- less number of hands on a book.

When I started pressing, I had to learn by trial and error.

Now, there’s tutorial pressing books AND YouTube channels.
we also pay people who we trust know what they are doing and will select to appropriate method(s) to clean up our books instead of crushing the shit out of them.

You say it like we’re ironing slacks.

I don’t see how Pressing our own books will reduce damages if we don’t know what the hell we are doing during the “trial and error” period.

Lessens TATs? Who gives a shit. This is America; we throw money at problems to make them go away.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007

Here's the problem I have with this approach
My submissions to CGC under my presser's account - 15% off every comic graded
My submissions to CGC under my account - No discount

If presser is given you 15% discount then believe he is losing money as max discount CGC is given is 10% (unless there are some special deals)
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

If presser is given you 15% discount then believe he is losing money as max discount CGC is given is 10% (unless there are some special deals)

It's 15%
I get the invoice from cgc
Hes not losing money on me
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's 15%
I get the invoice from cgc
Hes not losing money on me

Ok. He must have a dealer account then
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok. He must have a dealer account then

Correctamundo!
Post 93 IP   flag post
Post 94 IP   flag post
That's so funny.
Sometimes I don't even know where I get my words from.... lol. Now I remember!

The other day I responded to a friend/coworker with "soitanly". She quickly responded with "oh you watch the 3 stooges"? I had forgotten where I took that from as well
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's so funny.
Sometimes I don't even know where I get my words from.... lol. Now I remember!

The other day I responded to a friend/coworker with "soitanly". She quickly responded with "oh you watch the 3 stooges"? I had forgotten where I took that from as well

lol!!! same with me and I love saying amundo....I say it to my wife and friends all the time....any way i can fit it in because I find it freaking hilarious lol!!
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector WalkinWillie private msg quote post Address this user
I've had quite a few CGC submittals over the past year - very little NRs on them. Bought one GA book on eBay a few years back that looked like an oil slick and I returned that to the seller. I do the modern slabs thing with CGC and have had good luck with them so far.
Post 97 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
From my limited direct submissions to CGC over past 18 months (5 or 6 books) zero NR issues.

Of my modest CGC collection, I’d say about 15% have them and a couple books have bad ones (detract, at least when viewing on an angle).

Of the couple books with bad ones, one I was aware of while bidding and was happy it suffered from them… because I think it helped keep the pricing lower (by more than the cost of correcting).

Since I don’t display most of my books and care about the book itself more than the plastic box, it works out just fine.

Edit: of course I prefer NO NR but between dealing with them vs a less tamper evident case and/or higher costs, I’ll “accept” them. In the hierarchy of priorities they are low.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinWillie
I've had quite a few CGC submittals over the past year - very little NRs on them. Bought one GA book on eBay a few years back that looked like an oil slick and I returned that to the seller. I do the modern slabs thing with CGC and have had good luck with them so far.

This raises a question. If rings aren’t considered defects according to CGC (and thus, non-returnable), should sellers be on the hook for them?
Post 99 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Quote:

This raises a question. If rings aren’t considered defects according to CGC (and thus, non-returnable), should sellers be on the hook for them?

IMO, if a seller won't accept a return for excessive newton rings, I'll go elsewhere. I don't have blind obedience to any seller like some submitters do to CGC.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any other company that has a "mechanical error" option on their submission form? I've always had to contact a company first and get a rga (returned goods authorization) or a return form of some sort to fill out. I'm wondering at what point it became more convenient to just have the option on the submission form.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Quote:

IMO, if a seller won't accept a return for excessive newton rings, I'll go elsewhere. I don't have blind obedience to any seller like some submitters do to CGC.

This is one reason I no longer sell slabs via ebay. Another favorite is buyers who return slabs because a slab is not in Mint condition. OR buyers who think they grade better than grading companies
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is one reason I no longer sell slabs via ebay. Another favorite is buyers who return slabs because a slab is not in Mint condition. OR buyers who think they grade better than grading companies

One of the reasons you stopped selling on eBay is because buyers were returning CGC slabs with excessive newton rings? Question: if the rings were excessive, why did you not get CGC to reholder them before selling them?
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One of the reasons you stopped selling on eBay is because buyers were returning CGC slabs with excessive newton rings? Question: if the rings were excessive, why did you not get CGC to reholder them before selling them?

“Excessive” is very subjective. I have had buyers return with the faintest newton ring.

Oh and latest when I just uploaded a few slabs last month is a $800 book which is now being returned by French Customs as it was not cleared in French customs on time because the buyer did not check the tracking or the SMSs French customs sent him. And of course ebay forced me to refund him within 3 days while I can wait for months before I get my book back
Post 104 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If you can’t accept the possibility of rings, don’t buy a CGC slab, and certainly don’t blame the seller for it. These are known side effects of CGC holders.
Post 105 IP   flag post
597866 180 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?